The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I’m reluctant to open this can of worms but I like to keep a pulse of coaches out there. If we were to make a hire this year who would be the best candidates? This seems like a rough year as there aren’t any obvious/natural fits. Craig Smith has done a great job at Utah St but he’s a Midwest/mountain west guy and just took the utah job. Darian Devries shows a lot of promise at Drake. He was an assistant under Dana Altman at Creighton. In his 3rd year took them to their first tourney in 13 years and 2nd since 1971. He followed Niko Medved who has done well himself but Darian might be even better. 3 years isn’t much to go off of tho

I’m reluctant to open this can of worms but I like to keep a pulse of coaches out there. If we were to make a hire this year who would be the best candidates? This seems like a rough year as there aren’t any obvious/natural fits. Craig Smith has done a great job at Utah St but he’s a Midwest/mountain west guy and just took the utah job. Darian Devries shows a lot of promise at Drake. He was an assistant under Dana Altman at Creighton. In his 3rd year took them to their first tourney in 13 years and 2nd since 1971. He followed Niko Medved who has done well himself but Darian might be even better.
When the thread got started a few weeks back my first 2 thoughts were Musselman and Underwood...Underwood flamed out of the NCAAT though and his tourney record would immediately have our fans vomiting. Musselman has no ties to Arkansas and would be a rockstar with our fanbase, we could also double his salary so I think he’d at least listen.

I’m reluctant to open this can of worms but I like to keep a pulse of coaches out there. If we were to make a hire this year who would be the best candidates? This seems like a rough year as there aren’t any obvious/natural fits. Craig Smith has done a great job at Utah St but he’s a Midwest/mountain west guy and just took the utah job. Darian Devries shows a lot of promise at Drake. He was an assistant under Dana Altman at Creighton. In his 3rd year took them to their first tourney in 13 years and 2nd since 1971. He followed Niko Medved who has done well himself but Darian might be even better. 3 years isn’t much to go off of tho
Would it be really stupid to say go for Nate Oates? Honestly, that's the first name that popped in my mind.

Obviously I wouldn't consider him a realistic candidate if he's the UNC coach.

Would it be really stupid to say go for Nate Oates? Honestly, that's the first name that popped in my mind.

Good name too...maybe he loved working for White? Would certainly be worth kicking the tires on and again if we were willing to continue throwing around $5m I’m guessing he’d listen.

That would be great but I can’t see that happening when his name is being mentioned for jobs like UNC

When the thread got started a few weeks back my first 2 thoughts were Musselman and Underwood...Underwood flamed out of the NCAAT though and his tourney record would immediately have our fans vomiting. Musselman has no ties to Arkansas and would be a rockstar with our fanbase, we could also double his salary so I think he’d at least listen.
I like Musselman. I thought he was a great hire for Arkansas and I think he’d be a great hire here. Not sure if he would make that move within the conference.

Underwood would be tremendous but I think Illinois is a better job than UT is 😬

Super random thought:

I bet there are UCLA fans who, at the time of UCLA courting Barnes, were super upset with the UCLA athletic dept for not closing the deal with Barnes. Probably same kind of stuff we see here on VN...

How do you think they feel now? Lol.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Super random thought:

I bet there are UCLA fans who, at the time of UCLA courting Barnes, were super upset with the UCLA athletic dept for not closing the deal with Barnes. Probably same kind of stuff we see here on VN...

How do you think they feel now? Lol.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is the peak of their current HC's career.

2nd year, but UCLA’s 19th FF. I’ll be surprised if Cronin gets back there.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he does. He had good teams at UC and consistently made the tourney but couldn’t get over the hump. Now he has and has the potential to get better talent now too. FF aren’t easy to make but I wouldn’t be surprised if a good coach at a school like UCLA couldn’t do it again

I would run at Dana Altman. He's the best coach nobody talks about. It was between him and Pearl when Bruce was hired. I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved at UNC or maybe Texas Tech. Midwest guy, tired of the west coast.

I would run at Dana Altman. He's the best coach nobody talks about. It was between him and Pearl when Bruce was hired. I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved at UNC or maybe Texas Tech. Midwest guy, tired of the west coast.

I wouldn’t see anyone leaving Oregon for Lubbock, Texas. UNC? Yes.

Altman is interesting because he took the Arkansas job and then changed his mind a day later. Seems like he likes lower pressure jobs.

Stay away from Altman, he belongs at Oregon. I trust that Oregon will put up what ever is required to keep him. He's a great coach and from the short time I spent with him, I'd say he's a good human being as well. People who know basketball know Altman very well. I'd be happy if he retired at Oregon

Ex-_c4qWUAAKXSQ

Let's Go Peay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay away from Altman, he belongs at Oregon. I trust that Oregon will put up whatever is required to keep him. He's a great coach and from the short time I spent with him, I'd say he's a good human being as well. People who know basketball know Altman very well. I'd be happy if he retired at Oregon

I really wanted him instead of Pearl at the time. He was so good at Creighton. With the conference and Oregon's/Nike's money behind him, everyone can see how good he is. I would want him to retire a Duck if I were you too. Also, really enjoy watching the Ducks. You can always count on UO having long, athletic wings that can get to the rim. I'm glad my Grizz has Brooks. He was a second-round steal.

Reactions: GoDucks349
I wouldn’t see anyone leaving Oregon for Lubbock, Texas. UNC? Yes.

Altman is interesting because he took the Arkansas job and then changed his mind a day later. Seems like he likes lower pressure jobs.

The only reason I could see Tech is that he's from Nebraska played at Eastern New Mexico, and coached at Kansas State and Creighton. He could like the small-town setting of Tech. Also, lots and lots of players in the state. Tech has plenty of money also. Don't think he would leave, but I would run at him.

Did Barnes oversell the “we could beat anyone in the country” line to the media this year? I know you don’t tell your team, guys we wouldn’t be able to beat Gonzaga, etc, but I heard Barnes say that more this year than I can ever remember. Did he really believe that? Or was he trying to instill confidence into his team heading into the tourney?

Reactions: BreatheUT
Did Barnes oversell the “we could beat anyone in the country” line to the media this year? I know you don’t tell your team, guys we wouldn’t be able to beat Gonzaga, etc, but I heard Barnes say that more this year than I can ever remember. Did he really believe that? Or was he trying to instill confidence into his team heading into the tourney?
He probably believed that with a healthy Fulky

I believed it 10 games in. If all the pieces were healthy and hitting their shots then I don’t know why anyone would have thought we didn’t stand a chance against anyone out there

VN Store

Back