The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

What about that offense?
I've spent days here reading about why did this team or that team get hot after that beat TN?
I've honestly tried to explain, those coaches recruit shooters they get hot and go on a run. Volgee's post about VCU shooting 50% from three and that just proves my point. Barnes doesn't recruit shooters and his offense doesn't spread the floor very well for three's.

So write him a letter. I’m sure he’ll appreciate your wisdom. BTW, Durant isn’t a shooter? Who knew?

Hes also been bounced by a lower seed 3 times as well.

Yes, Oregon State is a 12 seed. That won a P-5 conference tournament and is playing for a FF tomorrow.

Kevin O’Neill, Wade Houston, Buzz Peterson, and Donnie Tyndal NEVER lost an NCAAT game to a lower seed while at TN. Let’s fire Barnes and hire one of them.

How’d that #2 seed work out for Bruce?

TN needs experienced players that will be the leaders in the mix. There were 2 players with more than a year of experience in the system this year. One had his face broken after COVID, mid-season dental surgery, and other injuries and missed the bulk of the post season. COVID also eliminated the off season work that the 2 one-and-done players needed. One of the one-and-dones had a lower leg injury disrupt his year as he was elevating his game. Next year TN will have experienced leadership to go with the best PG to ever walk on campus. But let’s run off Barnes because he didn’t keep Fulk from catching elbows with his head and Springer from effing up his ankle.
Barnes is also turning over, most likely as few as 6 and as many as 8 on the roster next year. So, over half the roster is going to be in the first year of his system. That gives me no hope that hes magically going to figure out how to get what he wants out of those guys. Then he is most likely losing KC, BHH, JF, and im sure he will take at least one if not more grad transfers. So, then again hes turning over 4+ scholarships. I just dont see the roster being complete enough in the next few years for him to have a chance at getting where I think this program could go.
If you asked me 10 years ago if TN would have a FF by now, I wouldve said absolutely. But with Barnes I dont get that excitement, his roster has to be built a certain way and have a ton of upper classmen. Add to that only one year hes been here has a team really been playing their best ball at the end of the season, and that team probably wasnt a tournament team. If he makes an EE then that gives me hope, but until then hes the same guy he got fired at TX for being and thats an underachiever in March.

Yes, Oregon State is a 12 seed. That won a P-5 conference tournament and is playing for a FF tomorrow.

Kevin O’Neill, Wade Houston, Buzz Peterson, and Donnie Tyndal NEVER lost an NCAAT game to a lower seed while at TN. Let’s fire Barnes and hire one of them.

How’d that #2 seed work out for Bruce?
Is it perfect no, but when does Barnes ever out perform his seed? Its not about him losing once or twice, its that its a consistent theme his entire career. Its the whole reason he got fired at his other job.

Is it perfect no, but when does Barnes ever out perform his seed? Its not about him losing once or twice, its that its a consistent theme his entire career. Its the whole reason he got fired at his other job.

He has respect and often gets over seeded. Half of the teams in the NCAAT go 0-1. Barnes goes 1-1. That puts him in the top half. He also gets there consistently which means his less talented teams are getting invited as well..

It’s not “the whole reason he got fired at his other job”.

He has respect and often gets over seeded. Half of the teams in the NCAAT go 0-1. Barnes goes 1-1. That puts him in the top half. He also gets there consistently which means his less talented teams are getting invited as well..

It’s not “the whole reason he got fired at his other job”.
Sure I guess whole reason was unfair, but part of the reason at least.
I dont care how often he gets there its what he does when he gets there. He could get there 1 time out of 10 if they want time means theyre going to make a run.

Barnes is also turning over, most likely as few as 6 and as many as 8 on the roster next year. So, over half the roster is going to be in the first year of his system. That gives me no hope that hes magically going to figure out how to get what he wants out of those guys. Then he is most likely losing KC, BHH, JF, and im sure he will take at least one if not more grad transfers. So, then again hes turning over 4+ scholarships. I just dont see the roster being complete enough in the next few years for him to have a chance at getting where I think this program could go.
If you asked me 10 years ago if TN would have a FF by now, I wouldve said absolutely. But with Barnes I dont get that excitement, his roster has to be built a certain way and have a ton of upper classmen. Add to that only one year hes been here has a team really been playing their best ball at the end of the season, and that team probably wasnt a tournament team. If he makes an EE then that gives me hope, but until then hes the same guy he got fired at TX for being and thats an underachiever in March.

JJJ, SV, JF, VJ, and possibly ORN will bring a lot of experience and will play a lot of minutes. Uros may not play many minutes, but if he stays on the roster he will add a lot as far as setting an example for the young players by putting the team first.

Now your upset about what the roster might look like in 2022-23 when the 2021-22 roster hasn’t even been put together? Other teams will be losing players as well.

Sure I guess whole reason was unfair, but part of the reason at least.
I dont care how often he gets there its what he does when he gets there. He could get there 1 time out of 10 if they want time means theyre going to make a run.

Then you should become a fan of USC or Auburn or Georgia. I prefer that TN continues to build the program. All that I want from Barnes is for him to live in the top 25 and get NCAAT invitations 75 or 80% of the time. Top 4 seeds in the SECT while making the semis and finals are added value. Then the opening will be attractive when he decides to retire. TN had been a laughing stock of a program since Devoe was run off. And yes, the Pearl era was being perceived as a joke... but he kept on winning which shut up his critics. Until the 6th season.

Reactions: i2amavol
JJJ, SV, JF, VJ, and possibly ORN will bring a lot of experience and will play a lot of minutes. Uros may not play many minutes, but if he stays on the roster he will add a lot as far as setting an example for the young players by putting the team first.

Now your upset about what the roster might look like in 2022-23 when the 2021-22 roster hasn’t even been put together? Other teams will be losing players as well.
Yes, Im already looking ahead because Im very pessimistic about next year. I think due to the amount of guys who are in their first year on campus the team wont end up as high as it should with the talent it may have.

Then you should become a fan of USC or Auburn or Georgia. I prefer that TN continues to build the program. All that I want from Barnes is for him to live in the top 25 and get NCAAT invitations 75 or 80% of the time. Top 4 seeds in the SECT while making the semis and finals are added value. Then the opening will be attractive when he decides to retire. TN had been a laughing stock of a program since Devoe was run off. And yes, the Pearl era was being perceived as a joke... but he kept on winning which shut up his critics. Until the 6th season.
And thats why I said earlier, my expectations are different from others and I think thats where Im off on the wrong foot with most. I couldnt care less about reg season unless its an outright title or whatever seed in Nashville. Win the SEC Tourney or break through to the FF is all i really care about.

And thats why I said earlier, my expectations are different from others and I think thats where Im off on the wrong foot with most. I couldnt care less about reg season unless its an outright title or whatever seed in Nashville. Win the SEC Tourney or break through to the FF is all i really care about.

The NCAAT has turned into a 3-point shooting contest. The regular season has turned into free throw contests with refs dictating the advantages. Luck is way too much of a factor when building rosters. Barnes put together a roster when the trend was to allow offenses to not be restricted. Then the officiating allows players to beat the crap out of each other. After putting key players in early foul trouble. Barnes isn’t the problem. The NCAA and SEC administrators are.

The NCAAT has turned into a 3-point shooting contest. The regular season has turned into free throw contests with refs dictating the advantages. Luck is way too much of a factor when building rosters. Barnes put together a roster when the trend was to allow offenses to not be restricted. Then the officiating allows players to beat the crap out of each other. After putting key players in early foul trouble. Barnes isn’t the problem. The NCAA and SEC administrators are.
You wont get an argument from me about NCAA officiating in college B Ball it sucks. As coach though its up to Barnes to adjust. You also just made my point on the AA tournament its a 3 point shooting contest and we dont really do that.

You wont get an argument from me about NCAA officiating in college B Ball it sucks. As coach though its up to Barnes to adjust. You also just made my point on the AA tournament its a 3 point shooting contest and we dont really do that.

They extended the 3PL distance just a couple of years ago. That would indicate that the direction was going to be to de-emphasize 3-pointers. Made sense to not load up the roster with 3-point shooters. Instead Barnes went the route of long defenders. Still managed to stay in the top 25 despite the bad trend. Because he’s a good coach. And SV, JS, and VJ are capable from distance. The program didn’t collapse when the heavily promoted freedom of movement on offense and bias away from 3s didn’t pan out.

I think most people's issue with you revolves around the idea that you aren't open to your mind to be changed. 30 future years of great coaching from Barnes starting today wouldn't likely do it. You'd still probably say, "Well, he's doing well now, but where was that in the first 30 years?"

Your mind is made up on him and there is little to no chance of winning you back as far as Barnes is concerned. That is certainly how the tone of your posts resonates with the people you are at odds with, IMO.

This. I'm not even a Barnes' apologist, I've already said he's kind of lost me and I'm in a mode where he's going to have to prove to me he can get it done after this past season. But this "analysis" of Oregon St. is complete BS, and if you followed what he posted, it makes no sense. He just moves the goalposts whenever it fits his stance. This "they are built for a hot run" is just lazy and looking at the result and working backwards to try to act like he can see how it happened. It's laughably bad.

Reactions: Vol49er

I agree with all that Thunder said. I also agree that Barnes is a March underachiever. However, when you have a coach at Tennessee who is recruiting at the level that he is, and is coaching them up like he is, you don't mess with it. Sure, his style doesn't lend itself so well with March, but we've been in a few games that could have went either way. I like my chance with Barnes, by far, than with starting over with another coach. If Barnes hits on the right combination, and we get a break or two in the tourney, we could be lifting a trophy. I know Barnes' style isn't the best for tournaments, but he's won a few games before, and he can do it again.

I'm more embarrassed at how we performed rather than anything Oregon State did. We didn't come ready to play, regardless of anything OSU did. All credit to them for being ready, but we didn't put up much of a fight, and that's the embarrassing part.
I Agree, but this team has played slowed all year....Started out fresh but never got their legs under them and they looked like they played in slow motion for a majority of the time....Could it Be? Covid recovery lag....Yea I get the Team Chemistry but what I have seen in the tournament is that we appeared at the end of the year we were stuck in 2nd and 3rd Gear with a few moments of moving past that but not able to really sustain a fast pace without Mistakes...

Watched a lot of 5 Out offense and we were not moving fast enough at times to run it...

VN Store

Back