The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Where is Fulk going to go? I thought he would be returning next year.

He could decide to try and play professionally. Either G-League or overseas and make money. He will be 24 in April. He might want to move on to the next phase of his life.

If Fulk comes back and gets healthier I won’t be very worried about that being a NCAAT team.

If he doesn’t, I will be really concerned. I don’t trust that they will use Chandler correctly in the offense. They won’t have any big guys I trust to play more than 10 minutes. Bailey is hit and miss. Vescovi is an SEC player but limited. JJJ isn’t a scorer. Will Mashack be any better than Keon? Completely unlikely. There are serious concerns.
Chandler is the best PG Barnes has had since TJ Ford, and he was used just fine. So he has a history of doing it correctly with that kind of talent. If he misuses KC next year, then it’s on Barnes and he deserves whatever comes his way.

I also think we will add another scorer and big man (possibly 3) via transfers and reclassifications. I think Kim English is stepping in and reshaping this roster.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Chandler is the best PG Barnes has had since TJ Ford, and he was used just fine. So he has a history of doing it correctly with that kind of talent. If he misuses KC next year, then it’s on Barnes and he deserves whatever comes his way.

I also think we will add another scorer and big man (possibly 3) via transfers and reclassifications. I think Kim English is stepping in and reshaping this roster.

We need it especially in the post.

Where is Fulk going to go? I thought he would be returning next year.
Well, he will be in his 6th year. His pro prospects are suffering after this season, so he’d be smart to return and rehab his body and reputation next year. But, it will likely depend on what he wants to do with his life.

That was 20 years ago lol. Look at Jaden do you think we are using him to the best of his ability? Chandler is a ball screen maestro yet we are bottom 15 in D1 this year in ball screens.

And I’m just nervous about grad transfers. After seeing Anosike I have reservations.

Reactions: Lankykong
My initial outlook for Barnes here was to come in, stablize the program, and get us back to making the NCAAT regularly and then retire. Then 17-18, and 18-19 happened and my expectations jumped to he might actually get the first UT team to the FF. And while I know this year isn't over yet, after last year and this team, I think I've gone back to my original expectations with a bonus that he's improved recruiting better than I expected.

He can prove me wrong and I'll gladly eat crow, but I think a S16 is probably about the ceiling for him here, maybe an E8 if we get a favorable matchup. The 18-19 team was a huge missed opportunity IMO.

Reactions: Lankykong
That was 20 years ago lol. Look at Jaden do you think we are using him to the best of his ability? Chandler is a ball screen maestro yet we are bottom 15 in D1 this year in ball screens.

And I’m just nervous about grad transfers. After seeing Anosike I have reservations.
There are some positives about Tennessee basketball. You definitely accentuate the negative.

The game thread is filled up with negativity and critics that I don’t recognize. But it’s the ‘emotional release’ thread, so be it.

The board rules could use some adjustments. Your 4 or 5 posters are ruining the platform. It’s hardly a discussion anymore. The mods seem to have their hands full moving posts to the Barnes Discussion (merged) thread. They have overrun the community.
Game thread summary:
northwestern_kid-DMID1-5cx5opquv-400x318.gif

Reactions: walkenvol
He could decide to try and play professionally. Either G-League or overseas and make money. He will be 24 in April. He might want to move on to the next phase of his life.
I've said all along that I thought he would play professionally next year. At the present time I don't think there will be much demand for him because his game off. I expect him back next year now.

Saw Pons’ wife posting on Facebook last night. Somebody made some joke about Keon needing to put his hair back like it was so he’d return to his earlier form. She went off. She mad.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I’m still going to reserve judgment until season is officially over. But they have A LOT of work to do and A LOT to figure out if they are trying to make a run. Not impossible, but seems improbable. Still have a little shred of hope 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, this game almost broke me. We play so dumb and Fulk is a shell of the player he was last year. Cardwell dominated him, when he was in, hell, every decent big man in the SEC dominates him, anymore. Pons plays so dumb, JJJ is obviously still hurt and along with Olivier (who should play) seem like the only players that improved from last year. Bailey is a nice shooter and has helped, as has Vescovi, but neither are great on the ball defenders. The freshman make this team go and Barnes need to adjust his offense to their strengths, especially Springer's.

I hate losing to Pearl, I can't stand that cheating bully. I still remember watching my son play against his youngest son (not Steven) and Pearl trying to intimidate the refs because the Baby Falcons busted their a$$. Surely, this Vols team knows he used to be our coach, hell, I get reminded on here 10 times a day and they would get up for this game, wouldn't u ? Maybe not, I rarely see any fire in this team lately, maybe that Keon dunk against Georgia, but that was 3 weeks ago.

Hopefully, the bright lights of the SEC and NCAA Tournament will awaken this team, but right now, I doubt it. Still, I'm going to ride or die with 'em.

Yeah, this game almost broke me. We play so dumb and Fulk is a shell of the player he was last year. Cardwell dominated him, when he was in, hell, every decent big man in the SEC dominates him, anymore. Pons plays so dumb, JJJ is obviously still hurt and along with Olivier (who should play) seem like the only players that improved from last year. Bailey is a nice shooter and has helped, as has Vescovi, but neither are great on the ball defenders. The freshman make this team go and Barnes need to adjust his offense to their strengths, especially Springer's.

I hate losing to Pearl, I can't stand that cheating bully. I still remember watching my son play against his youngest son (not Steven) and Pearl trying to intimidate the refs because the Baby Falcons busted their a$$. Surely, this Vols team knows he used to be our coach, hell, I get reminded on here 10 times a day and they would get up for this game, wouldn't u ? Maybe not, I rarely see any fire in this team lately, maybe that Keon dunk against Georgia, but that was 3 weeks ago.

Hopefully, the bright lights of the SEC and NCAA Tournament will awaken this team, but right now, I doubt it. Still, I'm going to ride or die with 'em.
Good post, basically how I feel

Reactions: The Dog

This team couldn't even get up for Kentucky at home. Auburn at noon on the road was a sleepwalk for them.

This team couldn't even get up for Kentucky at home. Auburn at noon on the road was a sleepwalk for them.
Yeah. This is why I want them to not play much in the SECT if possible. I know some disagree and think they need to play their way our of it but I feel like we just keep getting worse

Barnes doesn’t strike me as a master motivator. He relies on the team finding their own motivation. Which was great when we had a guy like Schofield. Who the heck do we have on this team??

Reactions: berryvol
Barnes doesn’t strike me as a master motivator. He relies on the team finding their own motivation. Which was great when we had a guy like Schofield. Who the heck do we have on this team??
I think that is a fair concern. He isn't a rah-rah guy like Bruce Pearl. Today was a game of evenly matched teams and as soon as I learned Cooper wasn't playing, I expected that to hurt us because Pearl can play the underdog role as well as anyone. He knows how to rally his team and embrace it.

And since Barnes isn't going to be the loud voice pulling everyone together, we need someone on the floor to do it. Like you said, we don't have that guy. Keon probably has that ability, but asking him, at 18 years old, to motivate Pons and Fulky (who is 23, I think) is not really ideal or realistic.

Our offense is so putrid. In case anyone needs a palate cleanser. This just arrived in my inbox. Don’t care about Michigan but I enjoyed watching it

As a Michigan fan also, it’s night and day watching what they run and what Tennessee runs.

VN Store

Back