The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Somebody asked the question if Michael Jordan was a great shooter or a great scorer, well Tony White was the definition of a great scorer that wasn't a great shooter (although I would say he was a slightly above average shooter), imo. I remember when White dunked (he rarely ever dunked) along with another 30 point game on Florida after Maxwell and Moten were talking smack to him for 2 games and UT got their revenge. I think that was White's senior year, but not sure

Andy Katz has UT as 3 seed, still. But, what I find interesting is that he has Ole Miss as a 12 seed in one of the play-in games. Which means he has 7 SEC teams in and that will make all of UT's losses to Tournament teams

I’m disgusted w how the team played today but reading this forum makes me feel like I have to defend them. On the panic meter we’ve dipped into the yellow, but it’s no 5 alarm fire.
It’s pretty damn bad. We’re .500 over our last 10 and have glaring holes that spell early exit in the tourney. Not to mention, we have 1-2 weeks to fix these things before it’s too late. I’m not usually alarmist, but it’s hard to see this season lasting very far into March the way they’ve played the last few weeks.

Reactions: cncchris33
It’s pretty damn bad. We’re .500 over our last 10 and have glaring holes that spell early exit in the tourney. Not to mention, we have 1-2 weeks to fix these things before it’s too late. I’m not usually alarmist, but it’s hard to see this season lasting very far into March the way they’ve played the last few weeks.
People are talking about getting rid of Barnes and hiring Wes Miller! Lmao

Vintage Barnes is hard to swallow at times if you're expecting more. But, unless you've got the Nick Saban of the Basketball world waiting to take over, sad to say you stick with 'What u got'.

Hahahaha yeah, reading that stuff usually pushes me way too far in the positive direction just cause I don’t want to sound like that. I’m trying to stay out of the game threads as much as possible lmao

I think @berryvol is right, and you are also correct. The manic nature of our fanbase is to bounce from one extreme to the other. In no way are we at the "fire Barnes" stage of alert, but it is extremely hard to ignore the repeated flaws and shortcomings of this team, few of which have to do with natural talent. A lack of leadership, youthful mistakes, failures to learn from those mistakes...this team just cannot be consistent. The only constants are the incredible inability to finish shots at the rim, and inconsistency, itself. It comes in all forms, too. Pace, shooting, on-ball defense, transition offense...it all comes and goes for this team like the wind blows. This team will have to find some level of consistency and a solid identity to make any noice in March. It sucks to watch such a talented bunch just not be able to string a handful of great performances together.

Yep, agree with this thread. I spin it as a positive like “anything could happen!” but it’s definitely got a negative side too like Saturday. I just hope we shape up by March Madness.

I don’t know if we need to rest guys or what, but several of our guys aren’t playing at the level they usually do/used to, especially the posts. Aka something is very obviously wrong with Fulk and I would rather swap his minutes with ORN at this point to try to get him as right as possible for March.

The "Fire Barnes" thing is so unbelievably stupid it's not worth even responding to.

Criticizing Barnes is fair game and I think it's even fair to suggest that expecting him to get us to a FF is probably folly. I think he has his limits and at this point we're going to have to hope that one of his teams gets hot come March; which is probably folly as well since he is not known for that.

I really don't know which segment of this fanbase is worse, the football fans who think it's still the 90s and are expecting an SEC Championship anytime soon, basketball fans who apparently can't comprehend that historically we're not really a very good postseason basketball team, or women's basketball fans who think it's still the Summit glory days.

VN Store

Back