The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I know who starts isn’t very significant in this program, but not sure about that move. At least just yet. Bailey is this teams best offensive player to date and it outweighs what he gives up to Keon in terms of defense. And offensively is where this team struggles the most. Keon is more dynamic and I expect he’ll continue to improve but I don’t know about getting a starting roll just yet

Jaden is the best offensive player on the team IMO...and I’m not sure it’s close

Reactions: The Dog
I am reading it to mean both Bailey and SV are out
Says he may have started Springer and it’s unsurprising to the VQ staff they he would. I think it will happen at some point but didn’t sound very definitive that the decision has already been made

Reactions: cardvolfan
Not really, you’d be hard pressed to find posts where I claim Bailey would start all year or that there wouldn’t be changes made. I think much like we saw last game, and the other games, who starts doesn’t mean much as minutes will still be had by the guards.
In his Friday interview, Schwartz' talks about his offensive prowess. Tennessee doesn't win that game Wednesday without him.

He could be what you are saying here he just needs to be more consistent to be this player. He is still prone to the disappearing act for large parts of games. He was that guy in the last game.
He might "disappear" from a scoring perspective, but he's always doing the other things that matter. He works behind the scenes for the betterment of the team.

Reactions: cncchris33
That's how I understood it, I expect to see a lineup of Keon-Springer-JJJ-Pons-Fulk tomorrow. JJJ is going to need to continue to hunt for his shot in that lineup, and Springer to be fully healthy
I think if the staff feels Jaden is fully recovered, you are right.

I think he is the most volatile asset right now.

If the following guards were stocks; Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Santiago Vescovi, Josiah-Jordan James, and Victor Bailey, which do you feel safest buying and which do you feel most at-risk buying, today, with goal being to have the all-around, most valuable player at season's end?

For me...
Safest: JJJ
Riskiest: Vescovi
Really good post. I just made a few changes in my security investments as well.

I think he is the most volatile asset right now.

If the following guards were stocks; Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Santiago Vescovi, Josiah-Jordan James, and Victor Bailey, which do you feel safest buying and which do you feel most at-risk buying, today, with goal being to have the all-around, most valuable player at season's end?

For me...
Safest: JJJ
Riskiest: Vescovi

Safest for sure is JJJ with Springer close behind.

I think Keon has some risk too, mainly because him and Jaden are night and day when I think of "control" I think Keon can/will learn it but I know TOs is one thing Barnes will let you ride pine for doing too often. But yeah I feel like Santi isn't an elite defender and the SEC is full of bigger/faster guards so he could lose minutes quickly as the 2 freshmen improve.

Also right now Bailey is our best offensive player. Not saying Springer won't be by season end, but I want to see Jaden do it more often.

Bailey's worst offensive game was 7 points, Springer has had 3 games with less than 7 (one was Alabama though so really just 2). I think Jaden will quickly surpass Bailey, if he can stay healthy and earns more minutes though.

Safest for sure is JJJ with Springer close behind.

I think Keon has some risk too, mainly because him and Jaden are night and day when I think of "control" I think Keon can/will learn it but I know TOs is one thing Barnes will let you ride pine for doing too often. But yeah I feel like Santi isn't an elite defender and the SEC is full of bigger/faster guards so he could lose minutes quickly as the 2 freshmen improve.
I might be wrong, but wasn't Keon turnover free against Arkansas? Much improved against a pressure team.

I might be wrong, but wasn't Keon turnover free against Arkansas? Much improved against a pressure team.

Had 1 credited to him, but "control" isn't just about TOs. He got bailed out a few times in bad spots cause Arkansas fouled. He's getting better, ya can definitely see the growth happening with every minute he plays.

Last edited:
Jaden is the best offensive player on the team IMO...and I’m not sure it’s close
He’s certainly the best at creating his own offense and he has the most potential but Bailey has been more efficient and productive to date. Even still, it was Keon who was switched out for Bailey not Springer. According to hoops-explorer both our offensive and defensive efficiency is better when Bailey is in the lineup vs Keon. Not the case for swapping Keon for Vescovi, defense improves some but offense declines a lot

Last edited:
A lot of what he does doesn't show up in the box score. At least not in the scoring column. I think he is currently the best all-around player on the team. He isn't the best shooter, he isn't the best passer, he isn't the best scorer, he isn't the best rebounder, he isn't the best on-ball defender. But altogether, he is the best at all those things. Jack of all trades, master of none is perhaps an insult to him, but he is a lot like Tyler Smith was 13-14 years ago. He excels in so many things even if he isn't the best at any one of them.
Just realized Tyler Smith was here 13+ years ago and now I feel extremely old.

Per efficiency stats, you are exactly right. James is a close second.
Not sure which stats you’re referring to but almost every efficiency stat I’ve seen shows Bailey as leading the team. In fact w players used in at least 20% of possessions (which indicates a significant contributor), he’s 27th in the country in offensive efficiency. Springer is also in this category and isn’t in the top 100. Fulky is 82nd. JJJ doesn’t qualify - which tells me he needs to get more looks

He’s certainly the best at creating his own offense and he has the most potential but Bailey has been more efficient and productive to date. Even still, it was Keon who was switched out for Bailey not Springer. According to hoops-explorer both our offensive and defensive efficiency is better when Bailey is in the lineup vs Keon. Not the case for swapping Keon for Vescovi, defense improves some but offense declines a lot

Yeah, told me Barnes trust Santi to run point more at this point in the season. Also the only reason Jaden didn't get that start was missing a day of prep with his ankle injury. Once they feel Jaden's 100% again he'll be in the starting rotation. For Bailey or Santi, I don't know. I'm not sure if they want to roll out both freshmen starting just yet, but they could try it out to see how they react too.

Fun "problem" to have, I just hope whatever happens helps improve everyone's game and the team success.

Not sure which stats you’re referring to but almost every efficiency stat I’ve seen shows Bailey as leading the team. In fact w players used in at least 20% of possessions (which indicates a significant contributor), he’s 27th in the country in offensive efficiency. Springer is also in this category and isn’t in the top 100. Fulky is 82nd. JJJ doesn’t qualify - which tells me he needs to get more looks
Sports-Reference advanced PER ratings.

Sports-Reference advanced PER ratings.
Oh I was looking just at offensive efficiency. But I do think the PER supports what I’ve seen. JJJ and Springer are the most complete players on the floor. Bailey is 3rd in PER

The most productive offensive lineup is having Springer and Bailey in at the same time. 29 possessions and a stellar 1.52 ppp. But defense fell off significantly giving up 1.11 ppp compared to .83 ppp for our starting lineup

Last edited:
Oh I was looking just at offensive efficiency. But I do think the PER supports what I’ve seen. JJJ and Springer are the most complete players on the floor. Bailey is 3rd in PER

The most productive offensive lineup is having Springer and Bailey in at the same time. 29 possessions and a stellar 1.52 ppp. But defense fell off significantly giving up 1.11 ppp compared to .83 ppp for our starting lineup
Yeah, I think Bailey frustrates Barnes defensively. He will get better.

He might "disappear" from a scoring perspective, but he's always doing the other things that matter. He works behind the scenes for the betterment of the team.
Your right, the disappearing act is more of an offensive thing but he has too much offensive ability to allow this to happen. When he is a scoring threat it puts us on another level.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
A good problem to have would be for everyone except Pons to come back next year, which is a real possibility.

I think if that happens, we would see Vescovi possibly transfer unless he accepts a greatly reduced role.

anyone care to comment?

VN Store

Back