The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

The only coach to inherit anything like what coach Pruitt did is Johnny Majors, and it took 5 years to have an 8 win season.

I disagree. Butch Jones and Dooley inherited terrible rosters. I think Butch’s was the worst. The worst one I have seen as a fan, being 39 years old.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Majors was coming off of a National Championship season at Pittsburgh. His first recruiting class had some very top rated players. Still, it was not enough to overcome what he inherited.

In the same way, what Pruitt inherited was an abolute mess. If you look at the recruiting rankings, you could make a big case that I am wrong. However, the culture and Strength and Conditioning were at all-time lows. These two things combined are almost impossible to overcome until there is a complete turnover of personnel.

People can and will point out everything else under the sun, but that is the situation we are in. My opinion is based on over 50 years of listening to and watching our beloved Vols.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Majors was coming off of a National Championship season at Pittsburgh. His first recruiting class had some very top rated players. Still, it was not enough to overcome what he inherited.

In the same way, what Pruitt inherited was an abolute mess. If you look at the recruiting rankings, you could make a big case that I am wrong. However, the culture and Strength and Conditioning were at all-time lows. These two things combined are almost impossible to overcome until there is a complete turnover of personnel.

People can and will point out everything else under the sun, but that is the situation we are in. My opinion is based on over 50 years of listening to and watching our beloved Vols.

If we're going to disregard recruiting rankings, then you have to throw out that Pruitt is doing anything well then.

I disagree. Butch Jones and Dooley inherited terrible rosters. I think Butch’s was the worst. The worst one I have seen as a fan, being 39 years old.
I disagree. Not only did Pruitt inherit poor talent, the entire team was in an unbelievable poor physical condition and had the worst possible attitude. Those things can not be corrected in one or two years. One has to get rid of the driftwood and change the attitude.

I disagree. Not only did Pruitt inherit poor talent, the entire team was in an unbelievable poor physical condition and had the worst possible attitude. Those things can not be corrected in one or two years. One has to get rid of the driftwood and change the attitude.

Pretty much the same thing was said about what Jones inherited, especially the attitude and talent part.

Yea, I get that the S&C wasn't good at the end of Butch's tenure, but I don't think it was good at the end of Dooley's either. There were rumors that guys were signing in for workouts and then leaving.

If you look at the depth chart for Butch's first game, you will Jaron Toney at nickelback and some guy named Max Arnold was in the two deep at safety. Dontavis Sapp and Brent Brewer were starting LB's. Rajion Neal and Aldon Hill at RB. The OL was the only good unit on that team. May be the worst roster I have ever seen at UT.

While S&C may have been an issue, Pruitt inherited 4/5 star talent at almost every position. 5 star QB (who still stinks), 4 star RB, 4 star Olinemen, 4 star WR's, 5 star Dlinemen, 4 star LB's. Secondary was probably the worst but Warrior was a 4 star, Osborne was a 4 star, and Butch already had Taylor.

To be fair, I am not out yet on Pruitt. Think he's a good football coach. But, they better show something this week, or it will most likely be the beginning of the end, I am afraid.

Last edited:
Yea, I get that the S&C wasn't good at the end of Butch's tenure, but I don't think it was good at the end of Dooley's either. There were rumors that guys were signing in for workouts and then leaving.

If you look at the depth chart for Butch's first game, you will Jaron Toney at nickelback and some guy named Max Arnold was in the two deep at safety. Dontavis Sapp and Brent Brewer were starting LB's. Rajion Neal and Aldon Hill at RB. The OL was the only good unit on that team. May be the worst roster I have ever seen at UT.

While S&C may have been an issue, Pruitt inherited 4/5 star talent at almost every position. 5 star QB (who still stinks), 4 star RB, 4 star Olinemen, 4 star WR's, 5 star Dlinemen, 4 star LB's. Secondary was probably the worst but Warrior was a 4 star, Osborne was a 4 star, and Butch already had Taylor.

To be fair, I am not out yet on Pruitt. Think he's a good football coach. But, they better show something this week, or it will most likely be the beginning of the end, I am afraid.
On the talent level, the best one has blood clots and was ineffective last week, another was a bust at tackle and guard, most everyone claims another one is the worst player at his position. It gos on and on. Pruitt brought in some really good talent this year, some think there is not a dud in the group, but they are babies trying to learn how to walk in this league. It is not a quick fix. It takes time to recruit and develop depth at all positions. We have to face a few facts as we search for the road to success. I am willing to let Pruitt do his thing where others before him have failed. I am tired of seeing a new coach every 4 years rather letting them recruit and build. Otherwise, success will never come.

On the talent level, the best one has blood clots and was ineffective last week, another was a bust at tackle and guard, most everyone claims another one is the worst player at his position. It gos on and on. Pruitt brought in some really good talent this year, some think there is not a dud in the group, but they are babies trying to learn how to walk in this league. It is not a quick fix. It takes time to recruit and develop depth at all positions. We have to face a few facts as we search for the road to success. I am willing to let Pruitt do his thing where others before him have failed. I am tired of seeing a new coach every 4 years rather letting them recruit and build. Otherwise, success will never come.

I certainly agree with your last point. Like I said, I am not out on him and hope for success. I just think he inherited a better group of talent than our previous two coaches.

The problem I have with all this "Pruitt is bringing in talent' is.....again the exact same stuff was said about Jones. And now here we are, blasting him for the lack of talent. So if Pruitt doesn't work out, in 3-4 years are we going to be blasting the same talent that we are praising right now?

The problem I have with all this "Pruitt is bringing in talent' is.....again the exact same stuff was said about Jones. And now here we are, blasting him for the lack of talent. So if Pruitt doesn't work out, in 3-4 years are we going to be blasting the same talent that we are praising right now?

Yes. It's a never ending cycle for UT fans

Reactions: VEKZY
My point is true Freshman talent is not the same as 2nd year talent because of the experience factor. Last Saturday we played more than ten true Fresh,en and they made mistakes that were crutial in the game. However, the coaches believe, as do I, that the Freshman talent is better than the more experienced talent. That and the general throught that we were so much better than GS that it would not matter. Playing the true Freshmen is not lost the ball game. It was the attitude that e did not have to prepare for GS because we would win anyway.

I certainly agree with your last point. Like I said, I am not out on him and hope for success. I just think he inherited a better group of talent than our previous two coaches.
I think he did have better talent in some positions, I don't he did at the two most important positions; OLine and Dline, He also had almost no depth at those two positions. This means that he had to play two true Freshmen an a player who is risking his life by still playing the game.

My point is true Freshman talent is not the same as 2nd year talent because of the experience factor. Last Saturday we played more than ten true Fresh,en and they made mistakes that were crutial in the game. However, the coaches believe, as do I, that the Freshman talent is better than the more experienced talent. That and the general throught that we were so much better than GS that it would not matter. Playing the true Freshmen is not lost the ball game. It was the attitude that e did not have to prepare for GS because we would win anyway.

I get your point; my point is the same points have been made for the last 2 coaches.

And I can get the freshman/players having an attitude that they were just plain good enough athletically to beat GSU; but the coaches apparently believing it is quite another. That's terrible and I don't care how long Pruitt as been head coach. That indicates a gigantic disconnect from what he perceives and reality.

VN Store

Back