The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

U Don't agree ? Not because she lost to Missouri at home, just because she sucks

Nope. There are far more credible women's basketball programs across the country today than there were when Pat Summitt was running the program. The SEC wasn't nearly as deep during Pat's era. Andy Freaking Landers at Georgia was the biggest competition. Mississippi State and USC were non-existant. Geno was still washing uniforms after UConn's games until Pat's last few years.

Holly is recruiting very well. Anybody would struggle in the current environment.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Nope. There are far more credible women's basketball programs across the country today than there were when Pat Summitt was running the program. The SEC wasn't nearly as deep during Pat's era. Andy Freaking Landers at Georgia was the biggest competition. Mississippi State and USC were non-existant. Geno was still washing uniforms after UConn's games until Pat's last few years.

Holly is recruiting very well. Anybody would struggle in the current environment.
TGO, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Let me clarify, TGO, I agree with everything u posted, but the last sentence.

Reactions: cardvolfan
She hardly sucks. TN is still highly ranked. She has multiple championships. She's done all that while having to fight her boss over stripping away the Lady Vol brand and shutting down a stand alone athletic department. She's not Pat Summitt. Only Geno can say that.

And she's won almost 75% of her games. That puts her in the elite of all UT coaches. It's higher than Phil Fulmer's and every men's basketball coach at UT except for Clevenger 100 years ago and Mauer in the 1940s.

She hardly sucks. TN is still highly ranked. She has multiple championships. She's done all that while having to fight her boss over stripping away the Lady Vol brand and shutting down a stand alone athletic department. She's not Pat Summitt. Only Geno can say that.
Sucks was too strong of a word. I think she was the good cop to Pat's bad cop and the mentality has held her back. Kinda like Wade Houston's relationship with Louisville's Denny Crum. No where near that bad, but they have a lot similarities. Great recruiters but have that assistant coach mentality (yes, bad posting, used the same word twice in this post), which I don't think Holly can overcome. It's virtually impossible to replace a legend, especially one with 8 NCs.

Sucks was too strong of a word. I think she was the good cop to Pat's bad cop and the mentality has held her back. Kinda like Wade Houston's relationship with Louisville's Denny Crum. No where near that bad, but they have a lot similarities. Great recruiters but have that assistant coach mentality (yes, bad posting, used the same word twice in this post), which I don't think Holly can overcome. It's virtually impossible to replace a legend, especially one with 8 NCs.

LV fans are spoiled. If Holly gets run, things will get worse for them.

LV fans are spoiled. If Holly gets run, things will get worse for them.
They are and not if UT spends the money. By far, the most attractive job that could possibly have a coaching vacancy. But, this is the wrong thread to discuss this, anymore. I'm done and I'm agreeing to disagree

Pat also didn't face the Title IX challenges that Holly has working against her. It was laughable for a women's coach to earn more than $100k during Pat's tenure. Now many are making a million a year or more. It's a far more competitive environment. Firing Holly would wreck the program much like what happened to the men after Dickey blew out Devoe.

LV fans are spoiled. If Holly gets run, things will get worse for them.[/QUOTE
]
giphy.gif

The glory years are in the rear view mirror. No high level established coach will take on the challenge of following Summitt, even a decade later, and hiring a young up and comer that is successful is a long shot.

Anybody named Holly would struggle. Anybody named Kara would come in and make a DRASTIC difference in year one!

Anybody named Holly would struggle. Anybody named Kara would come in and make a DRASTIC difference in year one!

Holly has won 75% of her games. Has Kara ever coached a single game?

The Lady Vols will never approach the success they had under Pat. They're lucky to still be consistently ranked and pulling off a couple of huge wins every year. Replacing Holly isn't going to make any of that better. The best scenario is for Holly to coach several more years, keep up the outstanding recruiting, and then retire and stay connected to the program. There are only 2 or 3 coaches that would make the program better and they're certainly not going to put their careers at risk to be the head ball coach for the LVs.

Holly has won 75% of her games. Has Kara ever coached a single game?

The Lady Vols will never approach the success they had under Pat. They're lucky to still be consistently ranked and pulling off a couple of huge wins every year. Replacing Holly isn't going to make any of that better. The best scenario is for Holly to coach several more years, keep up the outstanding recruiting, and then retire and stay connected to the program. There are only 2 or 3 coaches that would make the program better and they're certainly not going to put their careers at risk to be the head ball coach for the LVs.
If you're okay with UT pulling off a couple of big wins a year and consistently losing to much less talented teams, then she's your girl. As for me and the Lady Vols history and tradition, I hope for more. There is a point in time when playing below expectations for so long makes it very tough to get that culture of winning big time hard to come by.

If you're okay with UT pulling off a couple of big wins a year and consistently losing to much less talented teams, then she's your girl. As for me and the Lady Vols history and tradition, I hope for more. There is a point in time when playing below expectations for so long makes it very tough to get that culture of winning big time hard to come by.

I'm good with a 75% winning percentage, multiple SEC championships, and consistently adding high level recruits. 75% is better than every UT men's coach in my lifetime.

Holly is the reason they're a talented team. Current targets probably never saw Pat coach other than finding it on YouTube.

I'm good with a 75% winning percentage, multiple SEC championships, and consistently adding high level recruits. 75% is better than every UT men's coach in my lifetime.

Holly is the reason they're a talented team. Current targets probably never saw Pat coach other than finding it on YouTube.
Then enjoy the season!

VN Store

Back