The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Oh boy, this coming season could be tough. Just hope the fans can be ok with a tough year.
Yeah it’ll be a rebuilding year for sure unless DJ Burns is suddenly an ultra stud. But it excites me what Barnes has managed with 3 stars now that 2020 is looking like a year we could get a lot of fairly high rated players. Hope a bit of a regression this year on the court doesn’t put a damper on that though

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Top 3 in the sec and Barnes should be COY. Unless we land blackshear, or some other big time transfer. Any news on transfers?

Reactions: Vol49er
Oh boy, this coming season could be tough. Just hope the fans can be ok with a tough year.
I’m not worried
tenor.gif

Top 3 in the sec and Barnes should be COY. Unless we land blackshear, or some other big time transfer. Any news on transfers?

It seems like the "buzz" around Blackshear at this point is that he stays in the draft, I think. Which is probably a good thing, because it seems like he probably would have ended up at Kentucky.

Him acting like a snowflake and whining for a good month straight didn't help.
Very true. That incident and obvious sign of weakness aside, his team performed well. I stated in another thread that if Penny can just stay out of the way and let his assistants do their job with regards to the actual coaching, all he has to do is be the face of the program and his name alone is enough to keep them relevant.

I’m gonna get criticized since I’m criticizing Barnes but I honestly am confused as to Barnes’ strategy this year. Like I understand Bone leaving this year was unforeseen but a lot of us thought a great year from Grant could lead to the NBA.

But the lack of pushing for a bigger name or more impact guy and no news from the transfer market surprises me. Think about the roster:

Plavsic- good chance he has to sit out
Pember- RS candidate
Gaines- Needs a lot of work
ORN- Could player year 1 but at most like 10mpg
Kent- Has played 10 minutes in two years
JJ- Consistent injury issues

That’s half your roster that have basically never played any sort of meaningful basketball. And that’s not including James, who should start Day 1, has never played college basketball either.

It’s almost like Barnes punted this year and was like “I’ll play for 2020-2021”

Pember- RS candidate
Also Turner just had another shoulder procedure and he was never healthy during the 2018-2019 season.

I’m gonna get criticized since I’m criticizing Barnes but I honestly am confused as to Barnes’ strategy this year. Like I understand Bone leaving this year was unforeseen but a lot of us thought a great year from Grant could lead to the NBA.

But the lack of pushing for a bigger name or more impact guy and no news from the transfer market surprises me. Think about the roster:

Pember- RS candidate

That’s half your roster that have basically never played any sort of meaningful basketball. And that’s not including James, who should start Day 1, has never played college basketball either.

It’s almost like Barnes punted this year and was like “I’ll play for 2020-2021”

I think we have to wait, or at least I am going to, to see what the product looks like before making a definitive statement like “we punted this year away”....I get the questions that are there, but imo I don’t see a huge difference if Bone is back and that’s the only change? Yes we would have more returning experience but I’m not sure there’s a massive difference between James & Bone running the point.

I don’t think 2019-2020 was ever going to be as good a regular season as 2018-2019, but I’ve I’m also not going to declare it a bust either. Win 20+ games and make the NCAAT and I think most rational folks probably take that as a “down year” or a “punted it away year”.

I think we have to wait, or at least I am going to, to see what the product looks like before making a definitive statement like “we punted this year away”....I get the questions that are there, but imo I don’t see a huge difference if Bone is back and that’s the only change? Yes we would have more returning experience but I’m not sure there’s a massive difference between James & Bone running the point.

I don’t think 2019-2020 was ever going to be as good a regular season as 2018-2019, but I’ve I’m also not going to declare it a bust either. Win 20+ games and make the NCAAT and I think most rational folks probably take that as a “down year” or a “punted it away year”.

There’s a massive difference because James takes minutes away from JJ, Gaines, Pons and Bone gets 30+ minutes. You add way more experience and depth.

I don’t see a massive different in season outcome...like I said I will wait and see before declaring the season a give away.

You don’t think having a three year starting PG as a senior, who has NBA potential, come back doesn’t make a difference?

Lmao okay. That’s a terrible take.

You don’t think having a three year starting PG as a senior, who has NBA potential, come back doesn’t make a difference?

Lmao okay. That’s a terrible take.

Did I say it doesn’t make a difference? Or did I say “I don’t see a massive difference”?

Would we be better with Bone back? Sure. Do I think he’s the difference in this being a 30 win team or 20 win team? No I don’t.

VN Store

Back