The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I wish JJJ developed more of an inside game.

Always bothered me he wouldn’t attack the basket more often with his size and strength.

Being so strong I'd also love to see him back down smaller guards a few times and work on a couple post up moves. He's not always had guards on him that were too slow to keep him from driving, but at times he's for sure had guards on him that he was bigger/stronger than and being able to back them down and force help in the paint could open up our offense even more.

Being so strong I'd also love to see him back down smaller guards a few times and work on a couple post up moves. He's not always had guards on him that were too slow to keep him from driving, but at times he's for sure had guards on him that he was bigger/stronger than and being able to back them down and force help in the paint could open up our offense even more.

Yep.

The NBA loves big guards who can spread the floor.

JJJ has the size and strength to do so.

If he had developed an inside game along with his shooting, no doubt he’d be an NBA starter right now.

However, he’s still had a great career at Tennessee.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Yep.

The NBA loves big guards who can spread the floor.

JJJ has the size and strength to do so.

If he had developed an inside game along with his shooting, no doubt he’d be an NBA starter right now.

However, he’s still had a great career at Tennessee.

Having met JJJ I can tell you with the utmost confidence that he'll be involved with coaching sooner rather than later. One reason I feel like he's stayed with Barnes and at UT as long as he has, he's soaking up all the knowledge he can.

I think he'll give the NBA/Pro basketball a shot though. But I see him being another Kim English.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Honestly I feel like JJJ is the best NBA talent on the team. His size, basketball IQ, production, versatility and maturity would be big assets for any NBA team I think.

Phillips has a higher ceiling obviously, Aidoo has so much potential and size, and Mashack has Pons level athleticism.

But looking at all factors known as of today that's my thoughts. I think quite a few of these guys will be in the NBA at some point, Santi's ability to shoot from deep and his willingness to defend and rebound as hard as he does will get him an opportunity.

I disagree big time.

Santi is an overseas player at best. He has the same chance of making the NBA as me and you do. Undersized combo guard with less than ideal length and athleticism is not something the NBA is looking for. Great college player, but he isn't an NBA guy.

Mashack is so raw and has so far to go before he ever thinks about the NBA. His NBA upside is 3 and D wing, but he is going to have to be an absolutely elite on ball defender to get drafted. I'm talking like best perimeter defender in the country elite to make up for his lack of offensive game. Needs to shoot 40+ percent from 3.

Aidoo has nice touch, but needs to add weight and also needs to absolutely dominate the paint at the college level. The tools are nice but he is super raw as well and also has a long way to go before he is on NBA radars.

JJJ is the interesting one, but I don't think he gets drafted. He is a jack of all trades but master of none. He has an NBA frame and body, but not one elite skill to stand out. He could carve out a niche as a role player somewhere if he gets in the right system and improves his 3 point shot. He is another that could be a 3 and D wing at the next level but the on ball defense needs to improve as well as his 3 point shot. I doubt he gets drafted but he will be on a summer league team and get a tryout. He has the best chance to make the NBA out of those 4 but is still a long shot.

Phillips has all the tools NBA scouts look for but he just needs to put it together. He definitely has the highest percentage odds of anybody on our team to make it in the NBA as of right now.

Reactions: walkenvol
I know it’s the VN way to proclaim every good player we get as a future pro. I tend to agree with 8086 in that of few of our guys have the possibility of making the nba but it will require significant improvement for all of them to reach that level. As for Vescovi, he’s a poor man’s Chris Lofton and if one of the best distance shooters in the history of the SEC can’t play in the nba then I don’t see it for SV and I’m a huge fan of his.

Jjj should have a pretty solid case for the nba if he can keep up anywhere close to the shooting he’s displayed so far this year. Over 50% from 3 and perfect at the line. Like everyone else, I’d like to see some more 2 point stuff going towards the rim but gotta think that’ll open up if we start spacing teams out.

Phillips will probably be a One & Done based off potential.

Hope I’m wrong but I can’t see him staying two years.
I don't think Phillips is foregone conclusion. He still looks really raw, and obviously thin. A lot of questions about him still to be answered. He's a SF in the NBA, and his shot, while not broken, is still a little unrefined. Chandler littered the 1st round of a lot of mock drafts a year ago. Same with Keon and Springer the year before. Lottery picks in a several of them. Phillips is on the backend of most of those, and wasn't even listed in either round of SI's newest mock from today.

It’s definitely hurt seeing how ready Wallace and Mitchell have been with their teams and making noise. I know Phillips has that talent but we just haven’t seen THAT from him yet.

It’s definitely hurt seeing how ready Wallace and Mitchell have been with their teams and making noise. I know Phillips has that talent but we just haven’t seen THAT from him yet.

I can't say that I have seen Mitchell play, but based on the numbers, I would say that Phillips has had just as much or more of a contribution. Phillips is averaging slightly more points (8.0 v. 7.3). I wonder what kind of shots Mitchell is getting because he is shooting 92% from the field and is 0/5 from the FT line. Frankly, Texas can bring Mitchell along much slower because they have two guards that can do the bulk of the scoring.

Former TN players that got to the NBA and their RSCI Top 100 rating
Kennedy: 6
Springer: 13
Keon: 23
Pons: N/A
Grant: N/A
Admiral: N/A
Bone: N/A
Kyle: N/A
McRae: 40
Stokes: N/A
Richardson: N/A
Hopson: 11
Harris: 5

Current Roster
Phillips: 14
James: 20
Aidoo: 39
Mashack: 64
BJ Edwards: 100

Hard to say with absolute certainty who can or can't make the NBA. You just never know really, we've had more unranked guys get there lately than ranked guys.

Last edited:
Updates on a few former players.

Corey Walker (now at South Florida): 13.7 mpg, 3.3 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg
Quentin (now at East Carolina): 17.0 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.5 apg
Bailey (now at George Mason): 33.3 mpg, 15.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.7 spg
Powell (now at Washington St): 36.0 mpg, 10.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 0.7 spg
Huntley-Hatfield (now at Louisville): 30.7 mpg, 10.3 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.7 spg
Drew Pember (now at UNC Asheville): 26.0 mpg, 23.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.5 bpg
Davonte Gaines (now at George Mason): 25.3 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg
Brock Jancek (now at ETSU): 18.0 mpg, 9.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.3 apg

Former Coaches:
(2-1) Kim English is at George Mason and seems to be utilizing Bailey & Gaines well.
(3-0) Michael Schwartz is at East Carolina and has a young/talented team (his 5 leading scorers are all under classmen).
(2-1) Desmond Oliver is at East TN State doing well and is playing Jancek there.
(1-2) Rob Lanier is now at SMU, didn't even know he moved on from Georgia State.

I can't say that I have seen Mitchell play, but based on the numbers, I would say that Phillips has had just as much or more of a contribution. Phillips is averaging slightly more points (8.0 v. 7.3). I wonder what kind of shots Mitchell is getting because he is shooting 92% from the field and is 0/5 from the FT line. Frankly, Texas can bring Mitchell along much slower because they have two guards that can do the bulk of the scoring.

Mitchell's shot selection thus far has consisted almost entirely of monster dunks

Reactions: Ryno14 and VolGee4
Mitchell's shot selection thus far has consisted almost entirely of monster dunks
Yeah, Mitchell has played on national TV and had several loud dunks which have led to his reputation. He does lead the team in rebounds, though, so he's having a pronounced impact on the team, just not averaging a ton of points.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Updates on a few former players.

Corey Walker (now at South Florida): 13.7 mpg, 3.3 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg
Quentin (now at East Carolina): 17.0 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.5 apg
Bailey (now at George Mason): 33.3 mpg, 15.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.7 spg
Powell (now at Washington St): 36.0 mpg, 10.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 0.7 spg
Huntley-Hatfield (now at Louisville): 30.7 mpg, 10.3 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.7 spg
Drew Pember (now at UNC Asheville): 26.0 mpg, 23.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.5 bpg
Davonte Gaines (now at George Mason): 25.3 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.7 spg
Brock Jancek (now at ETSU): 18.0 mpg, 9.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.3 apg

Former Coaches:
(2-1) Kim English is at George Mason and seems to be utilizing Bailey & Gaines well.
(3-0) Michael Schwartz is at East Carolina and has a young/talented team (his 5 leading scorers are all under classmen).
(2-1) Desmond Oliver is at East TN State doing well and is playing Jancek there.
(1-2) Rob Lanier is now at SMU, didn't even know he moved on from Georgia State.
Good info, thanks for the update.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
It looks like TN could match up well with Butler. Their top scorers tonight are their forwards and big guards. If JJJ, Mashack, and Key play good defense TN can handle them. Vescovi will have to play sound defense as well. ZZ will probably be a mismatch - but possibly for either side. I think we’ll be okay defending the paint if our bigs show up.

I think we have a favorable draw. Butler is very beatable. I feel pretty good about the winner of BYU/USCw, as neither seem to be very good. FGCU beat USCw by 13 at home. Just need to string together some games like we played against FGCU.

Colorado just lost to UMass today….

That loss is going to sting for a while and might hurt us come seeding time. Hope I’m wrong though
We rarely have these ugly losses under Barnes. I think we'll be ok... a strong showing in the B4A and all will be forgiven. Kansas will likely be a top 3 team that we could end up facing. If we were somehow able to beat them we're likely a top 10 team. The Colorado loss wouldn't sting anymore for me then.

Reactions: Willy14
I wonder if the team overlooked Colorado and assumed they were going to win?

Something just doesn’t add up.

I really feel like that at this early part of the year, playing 2 days before our game really benefitted Colorado and playing a week before hurt us. Might be nothing, but I would say they were more in the flow of the game than we were. The big breaks would be nice in Feb, but in Nov and Dec they definitely don't help.

Colorado putting a beating on A&M is it now not a bad loss again?

Well they are 3-2 with losses to Grambling State and UMass. So I would say it is still a bad loss regardless. Definitely one of the weirdest resumes I have seen in a long time though.

Still, perform well in the Battle for Atlantis and ultimately the loss will be forgotten.

VN Store

Back