The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Very good chance we will be favored in every game remaining on the schedule, sans @ Arkansas. Very interested to see the UK opening line with the potential injuries. I’d guess Tennessee -6.5 at the very least, could be more if Toppin and TyTy are officially ruled out.

Reactions: walkenvol
Very good chance we will be favored in every game remaining on the schedule, sans @ Arkansas. Very interested to see the UK opening line with the potential injuries. I’d guess Tennessee -6.5 at the very least, could be more if Toppin and TyTy are officially ruled out.

I’d be shocked if it was that high. I’m guessing we see somewhere from -2 to -3.

I’d be shocked if it was that high. I’m guessing we see somewhere from -2 to -3.
May not be. The UK backcourt has zero depth tho, so if both TyTy and Toppin are unable to go, it’s hard to see books having much reason to believe Kentucky keeps this one a 2 possession game or less.

May not be. The UK backcourt has zero depth tho, so if both TyTy and Toppin are unable to go, it’s hard to see books having much reason to believe Kentucky keeps this one a 2 possession game or less.
This. Which is why I have a hard time believing this Kentucky team has a legitimate chance to win it all.

Reactions: berryvol
In the interest of trying to not be redundant, I'll just say I agree with what most everyone else has said.

3-3 is totally acceptable. It's a tough stretch to close things out, so there isn't much reason to be upset with that close, but I'd like to see 4-2. I just think it would be nice to build some momentum heading into March, rather than sputter a bit. We have some good wins, but I think it would do wonders for this team's confidence (and seeding) to snag one from Auburn or UK and split with Arkansas as the worst case scenario.

Either way, super excited for how this team is shaping up. It hasn't always been pretty, but this team continues to improve. I've expressed my fair share of doubts early in the season about the offense turning the corner, but it definitely looks to be the case. Glad I can eat crow about that.

It's just nice to see the pieces starting to fit together.

I can't see us being a home underdog to Arkansas when we won't be one against Kentucky and likely not Auburn either.
That’s why I said depends on what happens now and the end of the year…we lose to UK, @Ark, Auburn and win @Georgia & @Mizz while Arkansas goes undefeated, yea, I think we’d be underdogs in that game.

I don’t see it being that high even if those 2 are ruled out

Reactions: Ryno14
At this point, split with Arkansas and beat Georgia & Missouri is what I feel we need to do to keep a bye in the SECT.

If we win anymore I'll be pretty damn happy with those results.
Losing the double-bye is nearly impossible at this point. We'd have to go 3-3 and Bama would have to finish 6-0. That's possible, but it would require them winning at Rupp and at LSU, so not very likely. Additionally, they play at Vandy, MSU at home, and aTm at home.

Florida would have to go 6-0, as well, and we hold the tiebreaker.

LSU would need to go 6-0 and plays Bama, so both teams can't finish undefeated. They also play at Rupp and at Arkansas.

I wish the injuries hadn't been announced yet. I was hoping for plus ML odds

Reactions: berryvol
Depending on what happens between now and the end of the year we could possibly be underdogs against Arkansas at home to finish the year.
It's possible, but closer to a pick 'em due to being a home game for us. I'm not considering a game where we may be, at worst, a 1-pt dog beating a team we shouldn't beat.

No. Respect.

But that's just fine. Sneak up on everybody and just keep winning.

There's been no respect by the media all year. Andy Katz finally put us back at #15 in his Power 36 when we had been in the 26-35 range most of the season and his byline this week was "The Vols are back in my good graces this week". So, we lose a game or two and fall out of his "good graces" but teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State lose games and seem to have almost no impact on their perception.

If we lose to UK, we'll probably drop to like 25 again for some weird reason, while Wisconsin will lose and move UP.

16th is okay, we have a great chance to rise in the rankings with two top 25 matchups this week. At 16th, that should mean we're a 4 seed in theory (oversimplification, but you get the idea). That would be a big deal.

There's been no respect by the media all year. Andy Katz finally put us back at #15 in his Power 36 when we had been in the 26-35 range most of the season and his byline this week was "The Vols are back in my good graces this week". So, we lose a game or two and fall out of his "good graces" but teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State lose games and seem to have almost no impact on their perception.

If we lose to UK, we'll probably drop to like 25 again for some weird reason, while Wisconsin will lose and move UP.
The Wisconsin deal is the most tough thing to swallow. They're 4-3 in their last 7 games, the latest being an 8-pt loss at home to an average Rutgers team, and they drop 1 spot.

Houston goes 0-2, losing both games to unranked teams, and hasn't beaten a ranked team all year. Precipitous drop for them, but probably not enough in light of their entire résumé.

UCLA has lost 3 of their last 4 games and drops 1 spot.

Nova beats 2 unranked teams and jumps 5 spots.

The Wisconsin deal is the most tough thing to swallow. They're 4-3 in their last 7 games, the latest being an 8-pt loss at home to an average Rutgers team, and they drop 1 spot.

Houston goes 0-2, losing both games to unranked teams, and hasn't beaten a ranked team all year. Precipitous drop for them, but probably not enough in light of their entire résumé.

UCLA has lost 3 of their last 4 games and drops 1 spot.

Nova beats 2 unranked teams and jumps 5 spots.

It's truly dumbfounding, but it is what is. The people who vote on these polls and do things like a Top 25-And-1 (CBS) or Power36 (Katz) have quite a bit of bias built into their justifications. I tend to believe that Tennessee's lack of success in March recently has soured some of the so called "experts" on us, so they refuse to acknowledge unless we absolutely force them to do so. Hell, I remember early in the season Andy Katz Power36 DID reference last year's early exit in March. So, teams like UCLA (who made a run) are perceived to be F4 good, so they're given a much larger margin for error. The same goes for Houston. Made the F4 last year, so they're getting extra love this year.

Reactions: Ryno14
It's truly dumbfounding, but it is what is. The people who vote on these polls and do things like a Top 25-And-1 (CBS) or Power36 (Katz) have quite a bit of bias built into their justifications. I tend to believe that Tennessee's lack of success in March recently has soured some of the so called "experts" on us, so they refuse to acknowledge unless we absolutely force them to do so. Hell, I remember early in the season Andy Katz Power36 DID reference last year's early exit in March. So, teams like UCLA (who made a run) are perceived to be F4 good, so they're given a much larger margin for error. The same goes for Houston. Made the F4 last year, so they're getting extra love this year.

I listen to Gary Parrish's local radio show almost every day. He does the Top 25-and-1 for CBS, and I will say that he probably uses the metrics much more than others. He is good about comparing resumes and knowing who has Q1 and Q2 wins. It's not just based on "feel" for him. He also used to do the Poll attacks where every week he would roast an AP voter who had made a terrible choice in the rankings, but he doesn't do that anymore.

VN Store

Back