The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I’m not even talking about taking big minutes away from 5 of the first 7. I’m talking about moving BHH and Mashack way up in the rotation. The board Barnes Bashers have been screaming for that exact adjustment for over a month. Since the VN staff member is drunk, the qualification regarding Aidoo was not surprisingly totally missed.

D318B18A-4830-4310-BDAF-6181A4A09B63.png

Your 2nd paragraph. Yes, you’re probably too drunk to follow. Of the newcomers I said that 3 or 4 could be primary players. ZZZ and KC already are. Jahmai and BHH look like they are about to be taking on much bigger roles in the back half. And QD isn’t far behind Mashack. I actually thought that he was about to pass Jahmai. I don’t expect that Aidoo will emerge at this point, but I didn’t say EVERY ONE of them would now did I? Uros is already typically an under 10 minute player. Fulk isn’t able to carry the load. I don’t see either of those two being a disruption if their roles are reduced. Bailey and ORN are consistently inconsistent, so who knows how the 2nd half plays out for them?

It’s doubtful that the rotation remains at around 12 and I think that especially Mashack and BHH can slide in and take minutes from those allocated to Uros, VBj, Fulk, and ORN.

Okay, I’ll concede BHH could play significant minutes. It’s possible he eats up Uros and Fulky’s minutes although if I’m not mistaken he didn’t come in until the second half of the game. Sure fine. I’ll concede it anyways

What makes you think Jahmai and QD will play significant minutes? QD only played today because we were down by 30, he didn’t play the previous four games. Dude QD isn’t gonna make any difference on the season.

Uh the rotation isn’t at 12. The only reason we played so many is because Tennessee was getting their ass kicked tonight. Barnes has played about 9 players into important games. Even if Mashack gets Bailey’s minutes he isn’t going to get enough minutes per game to make an overall difference on the season.

Okay, I’ll concede BHH could play significant minutes. It’s possible he eats up Uros and Fulky’s minutes although if I’m not mistaken he didn’t come in until the second half of the game. Sure fine. I’ll concede it anyways

What makes you think Jahmai and QD will play significant minutes? QD only played today because we were down by 30, he didn’t play the previous four games. Dude QD isn’t gonna make any difference on the season.

Uh the rotation isn’t at 12. The only reason we played so many is because Tennessee was getting their ass kicked tonight. Barnes has played about 9 players into important games. Even if Mashack gets Bailey’s minutes he isn’t going to get enough minutes per game to make an overall difference on the season.

Mashack and Quintin? Talent. Better results and effort in Mashack’s case. Jahmai has improved immensely. He’s playing better now than early in the season when the competition was average to low mid-majors. Basilio preaches that the staff LOVES Quintin’s upside. Also, several of those guys have been filling the role of members of the scout team. Doing that doesn’t generate minutes in game plans. But it does accelerate their understanding of the game and helps them transition to the next level of competition from high school.

I think that Fulk and ORN’s 47 mpg will be cut significantly if they don’t do 180s. Mashack and BHH can take a ton of them if they are competitors or at least in BHH’s case he’s been paying attention to the staff and is acting on it.

I just want to know what he couldve done that wouldve gotten him suspended at TN but he can go to Nebraska and play. The only thing i can think of is school drug policy, and if thats the case thats two bigs and mostella that it cost us. We are too strict on that ****.
There’s all kinds of things that can land a student in front of the student disciplinary board from cheating in class to some form of accused sexual harassment and the title 9 empowered these boards to pass judgment without due process nor “beyond a reasonable doubt” proof.

Reactions: berryvol
I got bad news about that: Barnes’ team usually go on a downturn in February/March
And if that’s the case then more people will question things, the way the schedule shapes up a rough start was likely…if we’ve already peaked as you are suggesting then that means we likely miss the NCAAT, which there is zero excuse/reason for.

Game just felt like an anomaly to me. Nothing to really take away. Some might strongly disagree with me, but I don’t feel we even played that bad. Not 30 point loss bad.
It was one of our better offensive showings of the year against a P5 team, best offensive game in the last 6 games, just happened to pair that with probably the worst defensive showing of the Barnes era.

Game just felt like an anomaly to me. Nothing to really take away. Some might strongly disagree with me, but I don’t feel we even played that bad. Not 30 point loss bad.
Nope, I agree. Outside of Nkamhoua and Fulk, the rest of the team was solid, at least offensively. Best game we've played since Arizona. But you can't have your starting post players combined to score 6 points, 0 rebounds, and 6 TOs. And for our defense to be that bad is just, as you said, an anomaly.

Something that’s troubling to me about this current team is that judging from history Rick Barnes teams don’t tend to get better as the year goes on, they tend to get a bit worse. Not looking too good for the rest of the season if this is already where we’re at

Chandler
Ziegler
Vescovi
James
Huntley-Hatfield

That should be your starters vs. Vandy, and they should run the crap out of them. We should never see our own shot clock dip below 10 seconds, if not 15 seconds on offense with that group. Push, push, push. Shoot early and often. Force TOs and get out in transition off of them and defensive rebounds.

Tennessee hangs on at #24. It goes without saying that another 1-1 week boots them from the national rankings which, while unfortunate, would be of secondary concern to heading into February .500 in conference at absolute best.

Chandler
Ziegler
Vescovi
James
Huntley-Hatfield

That should be your starters vs. Vandy, and they should run the crap out of them. We should never see our own shot clock dip below 10 seconds, if not 15 seconds on offense with that group. Push, push, push. Shoot early and often. Force TOs and get out in transition off of them and defensive rebounds.

100%. This was my thought after the Kentucky game. Olivia and Fulky have no business being in the starting lineup right now. Unfortunately, I think Barnes is too stubborn to go from what he said about BHH a week ago all the way to letting him start, so my guess is the starting lineup next game will be:

Chandler
Zieglar
Vescovi
JJJ
Uros

Reactions: berryvol
100%. This was my thought after the Kentucky game. Olivia and Fulky have no business being in the starting lineup right now. Unfortunately, I think Barnes is too stubborn to go from what he said about BHH a week ago all the way to letting him start, so my guess is the starting lineup next game will be:

Chandler
Zieglar
Vescovi
JJJ
Uros
Not my preference because of the style of play and pace I want them to play. However, any lineup that doesn't include ON and Fulk gets my support, right now, because there is no credibility in my mind for a coach who preaches defense, accountability, intensity, and effort, and would then include either of thise players in his starting lineup. That simply negates all the posturing Barnes has done preaching those principles, and there is no way the rest of the team will respect that decision, and they shouldn't. There's a pretty decent chance he loses this group if he refuses to take a stand on the very principles he holds in high regard, even if it means sitting a popular player and another that he's propped up from day one.

VN Store

Back