The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Poor John. I don’t disagree with the sentiment from Barnes but I’m not sure this is the way to get him to respond. Maybe there is something to Barnes being too tough on his guys and it affecting their confidence.

Poor John. I don’t disagree with the sentiment from Barnes but I’m not sure this is the way to get him to respond. Maybe there is something to Barnes being too tough on his guys and it affecting their confidence.
I’m shocked at the first sentence. Step aside? Is he asking him to leave the team? If he’s dissatisfied with Fulky’s play, isn’t his job to park him for a bit and play someone else?

Brutal assessment, but he isn't wrong. Tough to hear for Fulk, I'm sure, but the same problems he has now are the same problems he has had for 6 years. He can't be physical because he isn't physical. He has never improved his coordination and continually flops and flails upon any sign of contact. He just can't stay healthy and has terrible luck with regard to injuries. It's just crazy that he occasionally has games like Zona and Kentucky. Games like that just seem so out of character for what we see on most nights, anymore.

I’m sure Fulk is gonna be the good soldier, but pretty harsh to tell a guy to “step aside” a year after he battled through a ton last year.

I’m sure Fulk is gonna be the good soldier, but pretty harsh to tell a guy to “step aside” a year after he battled through a ton last year.
Reading more about the quote makes it seem less harsh. The context revolves around his apparent lack of energy post second covid exposure. Barnes said he needs energy and effort, if only in the areas of rebounding and defense and that if Fulk is unable to provide that, they may have to look at other options.

Reactions: berryvol
Reading more about the quote makes it seem less harsh. The context revolves around his apparent lack of energy post second covid exposure. Barnes said he needs energy and effort, if only in the areas of rebounding and defense and that if Fulk is unable to provide that, they may have to look at other options.

I don’t disagree with the overall message, but I would say that the first sentence was unnecessary, especially when you’re the one controlling playing time and Fulk just is coming back from COVID

Makes more sense, then. As usual, context is everything. I bet Barnes is perturbed that Fulky held a high-risk camp with that many participants.

Reactions: Vols All Day
First thing I thought about reading that quote was how Grant Williams was always lower than his defender and had the leverage and positioning when he got the ball. Fulky doesn’t really do that. My guess is they were both taught it, but Grant just learned how to make it routine.

I can absolutely see how coaches can get frustrated when player learns it, and your 6 year player is inconsistent. Frankly, it’s what got Grant to the league- taking coaching and his work ethic.

Barnes is always brutally honest, and that won’t change.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
I like the quote, I was just shocked Barnes said it. Hopefully it turns out to be a turning point for both Fulk and the team as a whole. Chandler seemed to respond fairly well to his criticism.

I don’t disagree with the overall message, but I would say that the first sentence was unnecessary, especially when you’re the one controlling playing time and Fulk just is coming back from COVID
In the context of the entire statement, though, I don't think that sentence was his opening remark. That makes a difference. We'd probably need to hear the interview to obtain full context and inflection.

Makes more sense, then. As usual, context is everything. I bet Barnes is perturbed that Fulky held a high-risk camp with that many participants.
Yeah, I don’t think Barnes was to happy with Fulkerson having a camp. Barnes mentioned making good decisions in the Ole Miss pre-game presser around 5:00.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Last night, immediately after the Barnes comments on Fulky, Ticket Gaines tweeted “smh”. ORN responded and retweeted Uros comments on how Fulky is irreplaceable. While I don’t think Barnes full quote on Fulky is that bad, I am very worried about him going at Fulky, the beloved senior leader of the team, could have a negative effect on the locker room/younger guys playing hard for their coach. Interested to see how we come out Tuesday, Saturday was a terrible day full of over reaction and emotion after we had an off night on the road against a top 25 team.

VN Store

Back