The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I used to enjoy following the basketball forum. Discussions were usually between reasonable posters who didn’t repeat the same agenda constantly. Now that the team has hit an unexpected rough patch the forum has become flooded with negative posters that make it unpleasant for me to read. The football forum lost me when the legions of the miserable took it over. I sure hope this team can find its way and make a respectable showing in the tourney so we don’t have all doom and gloom till next season

I used to enjoy following the basketball forum. Discussions were usually between reasonable posters who didn’t repeat the same agenda constantly. Now that the team has hit an unexpected rough patch the forum has become flooded with negative posters that make it unpleasant for me to read. The football forum lost me when the legions of the miserable took it over. I sure hope this team can find its way and make a respectable showing in the tourney so we don’t have all doom and gloom till next season

The basketball forum has turned into sh*t now.

The Pub is really the only place that’s enjoyable to have discussions.

We paid good money for the Doom and Gloom. Just need to learn to live with it. Texas had it til they hired an AD that said fix yer sh!t or leave.

It's over the top but I think this team and coaching staff have earned a great deal of criticism.

You can chalk some up to overhype but after the first Missouri game the talk that this team was a FF type team and was going to run through the SEC. And now we're about to limp into the NCAAT and everyone is hoping we can find enough effort to win 1. in early January we were far and away the favorites to win the SEC, now we're 9-7.....9-7! That is pathetic for this level of talent.

The worst part is there seems to be zero improvement. The same offensive issues, the same silly turnovers, the lack of effort, nobody stepping up, the mental mistakes. If it hadn't happened already, yesterday should have been an extreme eye-opener for anyone. For all our problems the thinking going into the Auburn game was surely we'd beat this bad AU team that didn't even have their best player.....and we looked terrible.

So while I get it, right now the "doom and gloom"....is kinda warranted. This team is majorly underachieving.

Reactions: berryvol

We are 6-6 in our last 12. What exactly is there to be positive about right now?

What is worse (or better)... potentially losing Saturday versus a very good opponent and then turning around and playing again on Thursday or just settling to play on Thursday anyway and taking the preceding Saturday off?
I think I’ve come around on this. I think what would benefit this team the most is time to heal up a little more and get some practice in

Last edited:
I think I’ve come around on this. I think what would benefit this time the most is time to heal up a little more and get some practice in
This is where I’m at. I don’t think they’re gonna play their way out of this funk. I think it would be better to hope that they’re not playing to their best level and try to get healthier.

Sunday to Thursday is a normal rest period for the regular season. We could use more than that. At least we have the rest of the week before Florida

TN needs every advantage it can get. If they are the 5th seed then we’ll want TxAM to participate in the SECT so that the opening round opponent would have had to play on Wednesday.

TN needs every advantage it can get. If they are the 5th seed then we’ll want TxAM to participate in the SECT so that the opening round opponent would have had to play on Wednesday.
I wish I had the time to look into the wins vs expectation of teams playing and opening round game vs the team w the bye. I feel like in neutral site games there’s actually benefit from getting a game under your belt.

I’m not certain that I’ve updated this with 100% precision, but #5 opens with the winner of #12 v #13. If TxAM opts out (in addition to Auburn) then #5 should open with #12 on Thursday without an opening Wednesday game. The double bye would become a single bye.

1) Alabama 14-2 .875 (Aub, at GA)
(2) Arkansas 11-4 .733 (at USC, TxAM)
(3) Florida 9-5 .643 (MZ, @TN)
(4) LSU 9–6 .600 (Vandy, at Missouri)

(5) Tennessee 9-7 .563 (FL)
(6) Ole Miss 8–8 .500 (KY, Vandy)
(6) Missouri 7-7 .500 (TxAM-ppd, @FL, LSU)
(8) Kentucky 7–8 .467 (@Ole Miss, USC)
(9) Miss State 7-9 .438 (@TxAM, @Aub)
(10) Georgia 7-10 .412 (Bama)

(n/a) Auburn 6-10 .375 (at Bama, Miss St)
(11) South Carolina 4-10 .286 (Ark, at KY)
(12) Texas A&M 2-6 .250 (Miss State, at Ark)
(13) Vanderbilt 3-11 .214 (at LSU, at Ole Miss)

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
It's interesting to look at on/off stats and compare them to individual metrics. Basically compares how each player contibutes to the overall team vs how they fare individually. KJ fares pretty poorly in any of the on/off methods used. Yet his individual stats are certainly not the worst which affirms what I see on the floor.... KJ is not suited for his role in this offense. Springer on the other hand is highly beneficial to the team as a whole, and also has good individual stats. They're at two ends of the spectrum.

On/Off
https://hoop-explorer.com/TeamReport?baseQuery=&gender=Men&maxRank=400&minRank=0&team=Tennessee&year=2020/21&

Lineups ranked by net efficiency:
https://hoop-explorer.com/LineupAnalyzer?baseQuery=&gender=Men&maxRank=400&minRank=0&team=Tennessee&year=2020/21&

Reactions: Vol49er
It's over the top but I think this team and coaching staff have earned a great deal of criticism.

You can chalk some up to overhype but after the first Missouri game the talk that this team was a FF type team and was going to run through the SEC. And now we're about to limp into the NCAAT and everyone is hoping we can find enough effort to win 1. in early January we were far and away the favorites to win the SEC, now we're 9-7.....9-7! That is pathetic for this level of talent.

The worst part is there seems to be zero improvement. The same offensive issues, the same silly turnovers, the lack of effort, nobody stepping up, the mental mistakes. If it hadn't happened already, yesterday should have been an extreme eye-opener for anyone. For all our problems the thinking going into the Auburn game was surely we'd beat this bad AU team that didn't even have their best player.....and we looked terrible.

So while I get it, right now the "doom and gloom"....is kinda warranted. This team is majorly underachieving.
Not disputing anyone’s critiques concerning the mid season swoon as it’s obvious something is amiss. I just don’t enjoy this forum nearly as much when the team is struggling compared to when there’s optimism. Oh well, the pandemic has sucked for a year, the football program has sucked for 15 years, guess we just can’t have anything nice?

Not disputing anyone’s critiques concerning the mid season swoon as it’s obvious something is amiss. I just don’t enjoy this forum nearly as much when the team is struggling compared to when there’s optimism. Oh well, the pandemic has sucked for a year, the football program has sucked for 15 years, guess we just can’t have anything nice?
Instant gratification syndrome. Plus the opinions of the uninformed

VN Store

Back