The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I'm going to start a new thread every time that I post a comment. Anybody want to fight about it?
It’s getting out of hand.

I do like the fact that they don’t dare come into this thread, though. They’re the first ignore us and claim to be Duke or UNC b-ball fans when we suck, but they always come back around once we start winning again. Drives me crazy.

There is no reward for being a front runner. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: sticking it out through 2 show causes + Cuonzo has made our success under Barnes so much more rewarding.

Last night two UT 2020 basketball targets met when Webb School Bell Buckle and Keon Johnson hosted the powerhouse Hamilton Heights team out of Chattanooga that includes UT target Sam Ruzhentsev, previous UT target Jason Jitoboh amongst other D-1 propsects. The game was a blowout as Hamilton Heights has players from around the world including Rushensev who is from Russia. Hamilton had 3 kids listed at 6-10 and several more 6-8 and 6-9 guys. It was a terrible night for Keon Johnson. He tried to do too much and was targeted by the Hamilton team. He turned the ball over, his outside shot was not falling. In particular Hamilton had a 6-8 kid named Anderson Garcia from the Dominican Republic that gave him fits. I don't know anything about the Garcia kid but he has good size and was very athletic. Listed as a 2020 prospect. Sam Ruzhentsev looked very good too. He looked good on a couple of mid range jumpers and was athletic enough to throw down a few dunks. I am guessing he is not rated because he has not been in the US very long. Based on the one game I saw and my admittedly limited scouting experience he sure looked like a four star prospect to me. I hope we get him. I am not disappointed we missed on Jitoboh. Or I guess we just didn't have a spot for him this year. He was very big but didn't show a lot of skills. Reminds me of a Charles Hathaway type. He would need some time in a conditioning program and to develop some skills to produce in the SEC IMO. Virginia Head basketball coach Tony Bennett was in the stands. It is impressive because it is not easy to get to Bell Buckle to watch a game. I know he is after Keon Johnson as well. I had heard Coach Barnes was going to attend but I am pretty sure he was not there. There was someone there in a UT vest that I think must have been a member of the UT basketball staff. He hung out with Bennett some at halftime along with a couple of other guys I think must have been assistants from other schools.

Man...if Grant keeps this pace up he'll be back-to-back SEC POY. 20 ppg, 9.3 rpg, and 4.6 apg! 57.4 fg%, 80% ft, and the craziest one 46.2% from 3!
He's shot 56 freethrows, that's a 1/3 of the teams attempts.

Side note: Alexander is shooting well from the line this year 21/28. Schofield needs to improve at 8/15 (it's hard to critique him after that performance on Sunday though).

Another side note: Not sure if it's a slump or what, but Bone should probably not shoot 3's... 7/33 is abysmal for a pg. Not sure if he's in a slump or what but he shot in the 30's the last two years. Grant has hit almost the same as him (6/13) with a 1/3 of the attempts. Bone either needs to pass, or drive to the basket.

Man...if Grant keeps this pace up he'll be back-to-back SEC POY. 20 ppg, 9.3 rpg, and 4.6 apg! 57.4 fg%, 80% ft, and the craziest one 46.2% from 3!

Side note: Alexander is shooting well from the line this year 21/28. Schofield needs to improve at 8/15 (it's hard to critique him after that performance on Sunday though).

Another side note: Not sure if it's a slump or what, but Bone should probably not shoot 3's... 7/33 is abysmal for a pg. Not sure if he's in a slump or what but he shot in the 30's the last two years. Grant has hit almost the same as him (6/13) with a 1/3 of the attempts. Bone either needs to pass, or drive to the basket.

Bone's stat is somewhat skewed because he has had to throw up bad/contested 3s at the end of the shot clock numerous times. This could still be his fault, but don't think he is doing too bad in terms of open 3s.

7 for 33 is pretty bad, but it's a small sample size. If only 4 or 5 of the 26 misses were good it would be a decent average. But unlike Bowden's misses, Bone's are ugly. Flat bricks.

We're good lol

Hes shooting 46 percent from the 3 this year. But he also sounds like he may be a locker room cancer.

We have an open scholarship this year but Im pretty sure they are all claimed by the next signing class. I've wondered if barnes will try to find someone mid season who is immediately eligible (a la stokes) and then ask someone to look around next year. Obviously green was a joke and he wouldn't be eligible, but it's a fun thing to ponder when you're bored

Hes shooting 46 percent from the 3 this year. But he also sounds like he may be a locker room cancer.

We have an open scholarship this year but Im pretty sure they are all claimed by the next signing class. I've wondered if barnes will try to find someone mid season who is immediately eligible (a la stokes) and then ask someone to look around next year. Obviously green was a joke and he wouldn't be eligible, but it's a fun thing to ponder when you're bored

It would not shock me if UT had an excellent tourney run if a couple guys leave and UT replaces them with impact freshmen

It would not shock me if UT had an excellent tourney run if a couple guys leave and UT replaces them with impact freshmen

No I'm talking about someone coming into the team in January like stokes did. Obviously it would have to be a unique situation like his.

We only have 12 scholarship players, so it's possible. If we dont try, we should have given the extra scholarship to woodson.

No I'm talking about someone coming into the team in January like stokes did. Obviously it would have to be a unique situation like his.

We only have 12 scholarship players, so it's possible. If we dont try, we should have given the extra scholarship to woodson.

We would have that scholarship come spring though, yes we have it right now but not once those 3 signees are admitted...so you would have someone on the roster knowing that them or the guy next to them is, don’t see Barnes doing that.

It would shock me...this staff is all about relationships and not adding bad apples, now maybe they’ve kept tabs on someone and we just haven’t heard about it but just think about this past spring. We pursued Simons for months and only him, he announced NBA and we didn’t even seriously look to the HS ranks, instead go the graduate transfer route and when that fell through instead of just adding someone we kept it open.

We would have that scholarship come spring though, yes we have it right now but not once those 3 signees are admitted...so you would have someone on the roster knowing that them or the guy next to them is, don’t see Barnes doing that.

Yeah that's what I said earlier. Why not give this years open scholarship to the senior walk on then? Seems like hes earned it. Otherwise it's just wasted

It would shock me...this staff is all about relationships and not adding bad apples, now maybe they’ve kept tabs on someone and we just haven’t heard about it but just think about this past spring. We pursued Simons for months and only him, he announced NBA and we didn’t even seriously look to the HS ranks, instead go the graduate transfer route and when that fell through instead of just adding someone we kept it open.

It happens especially because there will be coaching openings. They might take a grad and a freshmen. Not two. I should have said two players. Maybe Johnson stays. But I think Kent will be gone after the season

It happens especially because there will be coaching openings. They might take a grad and a freshmen. Not two. I should have said two players. Maybe Johnson stays. But I think Kent will be gone after the season

Kent is only a RS freshman and currently is working through an injury.

It seems like transferring only happens if the player is a bad fit for the program. I don't know if that is the case with Kent, but if he is willing to work with the staff, he will get his minutes eventually.

I definitely could see a graduate transfer, it’s a really good way to improve your team in an area for just a year or provide some depth at an area of concern.

Kent is only a RS freshman and currently is working through an injury.

It seems like transferring only happens if the player is a bad fit for the program. I don't know if that is the case with Kent, but if he is willing to work with the staff, he will get his minutes eventually.
He has a skill set no other big man on our roster has, if he sticks it out and maybe most importantly can stay on the court then I think we see him contribute down the line.

He's not a cancer at all. He's just not good enough to play as much as he wants. He is a terrible defender, streaky shooter, and average point guard offensively. Best of luck to him...

Apr 10, 2018

#5,166

Hagans committed to UK this morning. Fully expect Quade to leave now unless something weird happens.

VN Store

Back