The NHL thread (Buffalo, well at least you are not Cleveland)

What a scumbag Babcock is. That deal with Marner is straight trashy.
Is it entirely possible Babcock is just really overrated? The only "make lemons out of lemonade" season he's had was that very first season in Anaheim, where they almost won the Cup as a 7 seed. He then won a Cup and almost won another in Detroit with a stacked team he had nothing to do with stacking, but also had multiple surprising early exits from the playoffs, then the roster got really old and they sucked. In Toronto he never even won a playoff series. He also won 2 Olympic golds as coach of Canada, but you're kind of supposed to do that.

I don't really look at any particular coaching job/year he's had and get overly impressed, but he had this incredible reputation around the league for a very long time that is now turning on a dime. Seems like a ton of guys who played on teams he coached over the years actually hated him. Kind of interesting how he got the reputation to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toujours Pret
I've felt the same about Ken Holland, he did his damage in the pre cap era and lucked into Datsyuk and Zetterberg in late rounds.

Great finds, no doubt, but it's more getting lucky with a pick than it is recognizing all world talent and waiting until round 7 to take it.

He left Detroit an absolute mess, interested to see how me fares in Edmonton with 2 of the top 10 players in the world.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I've felt the same about Ken Holland, he did his damage in the pre cap era and lucked into Datsyuk and Zetterberg in late rounds.

Great finds, no doubt, but it's more getting lucky with a pick than it is recognizing all world talent and waiting until round 7 to take it.

He left Detroit an absolute mess, interested to see how me fares in Edmonton with 2 of the top 10 players in the world.

Everyone knows who built that team and it wasn’t Holland. It was Jimmy D. Holland rode those coattails. Once Yzerman took some key scouting people it was over.

Well yes for the Euros specifically that is true
They were great teams but built in a way that isn't possible today. Holland really **** the bed when it came to the Cap era, seems that 3 years in the high lottery are what it'll take to be respectable.

Are they selling Lafreniere or Byfield sweaters yet? Haha I kid...sort of.

They were great teams but built in a way that isn't possible today. Holland really **** the bed when it came to the Cap era, seems that 3 years in the high lottery are what it'll take to be respectable.

Are they selling Lafreniere or Byfield sweaters yet? Haha I kid...sort of.

They tapped a market that nobody knew about just like the Spurs. The sport is too worldwide now.

I was screaming tank in 2014 lol. They got to get high end talent. I trust Yzerman tho, just gonna take a few years to undo the **** Holland did.

Lias Andersson demands a trade, hate to see it not working but if he can't hold a roster spot on the bottom 6 against a fighter and a converted defenseman I don't know what to say.

Pouting in Hartford to the point of being scratched isn't helping him at all. It's definitely too early to write a 20 year old off, but at the same time it's a bad look asking for a trade.

Lias Andersson demands a trade, hate to see it not working but if he can't hold a roster spot on the bottom 6 against a fighter and a converted defenseman I don't know what to say.

Pouting in Hartford to the point of being scratched isn't helping him at all. It's definitely too early to write a 20 year old off, but at the same time it's a bad look asking for a trade.
Larry Brooks speculating here that the Preds might swap Eeli Tolvanen for him. I highly doubt that, although I suppose he's correct to say that Tolvanen's star has dimmed lately.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/lias-andersson-and-his-unacceptable-rangers-stunt-wont-be-missed/

Couldn’t happen to a better franchise

As a franchise I think they're solid, great fanbase and community support. But I do get a chuckle from how "great" ken holland and babcock have done since they left.

They lucked into a roster full of hall of famers and were called genius for it.

As a franchise I think they're solid, great fanbase and community support. But I do get a chuckle from how "great" ken holland and babcock have done since they left.

They lucked into a roster full of hall of famers and were called genius for it.
If they finished last the next 1,000 years, that wouldn’t be enough

Couldn’t happen to a better franchise
When I first started watching and getting into hockey as a kid (around the time Nashville got a team), the Avs and Red Wings were in the midst of their big rivalry and I, for whatever reason, loved the Avs and hated the Red Wings. I was indifferent to Nashville for the first few years of their existence, which seems funny in hindsight given I was just getting into the sport, and a new NHL team started a couple hours up the road, but I still liked the Avs.

Anyway, I think because of that I still picture the Red Wings as this great, powerful franchise, and it's amazing how far they've fallen. They haven't won a playoff series since the 2012-13 season.

VN Store

Back