The NHL thread (Buffalo, well at least you are not Cleveland)

Not really a big hockey fan, but I did grow up going to Caps games (Dale Hunter was my favorite player) and it was really fun to watch them finally get over that hump.

It's crazy to think that DC sports are historically so bad that Ovechkin is their greatest pro athlete all-time by a mile (even before the title).

Bryce Harper would probably surpass him, but I don't think he's sticking around.

Last edited:
It's crazy to think that DC sports are historically so bad that Ovechkin is their greatest pro athlete all-time by a mile (even before the title).

Bryce Harper would probably surpass him, but I don't think he's sticking around.

Once you normalize scoring across eras Ovechkin is pretty clearly the greatest goal scorer in the history of the sport. He is a significantly better hockey player than Harper is a baseball player.

Reactions: 1 person
Once you normalize scoring across eras Ovechkin is pretty clearly the greatest goal scorer in the history of the sport. He is a significantly better hockey player than Harper is a baseball player.

Not arguing this for a second. He's become one of my favorite guys in the game, despite being an annual playoff appointment for most of his career.

So when do you think Ovi is going to end his Stanley Cup rager? His nights with the cup are going to make one hell of a documentary.

Unsurprising. The relationship between Trotz and the front office has been pretty broken ever since they refused to let other teams talk to Todd Reirden last summer. The Islanders are about to pay way more for him than the Caps would have been when they already think they have their next coach on the bench ready to go.

I'm sorry to see him go but this is probably not entirely a bad thing, given his strong preference for playing veterans over young guys when salary cap issues are going to keep the Caps cycling out veteran salaries. They left the guy who is now VGK's best defenseman exposed in the draft mostly because Trotz didn't trust him and wouldn't put him on the ice in the 2017 playoffs.

Unsurprising. The relationship between Trotz and the front office has been pretty broken ever since they refused to let other teams talk to Todd Reirden last summer. The Islanders are about to pay way more for him than the Caps would have been when they already think they have their next coach on the bench ready to go.

I'm sorry to see him go but this is probably not entirely a bad thing, given his strong preference for playing veterans over young guys when salary cap issues are going to keep the Caps cycling out veteran salaries. They left the guy who is now VGK's best defenseman exposed in the draft mostly because Trotz didn't trust him and wouldn't put him on the ice in the 2017 playoffs.

I always thought that Trotz was a curious "fit" in Washington to begin with. Washington has high expectations, high-end talent, and in particular a superstar(s) who can be temperamental.

Trotz was the best coach available when Washington needed a coach, but he was coming from an organization that, despite performing well there, didn't have high expectations or superstars that need to be handled in a certain way.

Nashville, especially when Trotz was there, is much more of a blue-collar team and played a non-flashy style. I remember thinking when Trotz was hired that that he and Ovechkin probably really wouldn't get along but it worked out in the end.

He had a strange clause written into his contract that would've left him very underpaid.

He'll be in Brooklyn or back in DC.

VN Store

Back