The NHL thread (Buffalo, well at least you are not Cleveland)

I think there'd be something wrong with him if he didn't. He's said repeatedly that he wouldn't have signed that long-term deal with Edmonton if he didn't want to stay, but then again as good as he is that contract is still movable. This was McDavid's 4th year in Edmonton. I'd say he's given them enough time to surround him with a supporting cast.

He has a no-trade clause that kicks in beginning in 2022. It could be wise to move him before that; you'll maximize your return that way because you could trade him anywhere.

Edmonton's problem for I guess about the last decade has been drafting/developing or otherwise acquiring good defensemen. Who was their best defenseman this year...Klefbom? They actually do have some other guys offensively so not 100% of the offense has to flow through McDavid, but they can't stop anybody from scoring.
Question really goes. Would teams take on that $12 million and how much they have to get in return. No doubt he is extremely good. But the question is. What is Edmonton’s asking price. Because they don’t have to move him. This isn’t an expiring contract.

Question really goes. Would teams take on that $12 million and how much they have to get in return. No doubt he is extremely good. But the question is. What is Edmonton’s asking price. Because they don’t have to move him. This isn’t an expiring contract.
Edmonton could (and should) ask for the moon in return. It is a $12m/year contract with a ton of years left, so perhaps that tempers what they could demand in return, but I'd imagine they'd ask for a couple of solid, established players with years left on their careers plus a couple top prospects. That number of players, plus the assumption of his contract, is a lot for any team to bear. However, a team in a position like Toronto was in before they got Tavares (I know Tavares was signed as a FA) I think would spring for it, seeing him as the piece that could get them a Cup.

I don't think you could acquire McDavid's services via giving Edmonton only prospects. The key to a deal might be exactly which established players you'd have to give up as part of the deal. I could see a team with Cup aspirations being comfortable giving up multiple top prospects, but what if they also have to give up a couple established players they deem as pretty integral to their current roster? Is one Connor McDavid better than those 2, or maybe even 3 guys you're shipping out?

I'd think Edmonton might eventually want to move him once it becomes clear they aren't ever going to be a contender with him. Maybe they're at that point now. Remember, he has a no-trade clause kicking in in a couple of years, and he'd have to approve any trade at that point. I bet he's there for only another year or two.

Peter Chiarelli did a hit job on Edmonton, Sekera, Russell, and Lucic combining to hit 15m in cap space with no move clauses, and all are about shot. You could build a solid 2nd and 3rd pairing with that money and have some left to get Nurse into the D2 spot where he fits,

First time in NHL history that both conference top seeds were eliminated in the opening round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Crazy playoffs. All wild card teams advanced to the second round. Stanley Cup is up for crazy taking this year.

Reactions: MAD
And the Caps I learned to love for 40+ years are back to the normal postseason form. Losing in game 7 at home in an early round Last year seems more amazing.

If Brad Marchand died in a house fire I would be a happy person. Say what you will, he's a waste of air.

Also, if Bama and Auburn fans conceived an incest baby from anal sex it would be slightly less white trash than your average Bruins fan

If Brad Marchand died in a house fire I would be a happy person. Say what you will, he's a waste of air.

Also, if Bama and Auburn fans conceived an incest baby from anal sex it would be slightly less white trash than your average Bruins fan
I really hope Boston doesn't win. That town doesn't need another title and Boston sports fans have easily become the most obnoxious sports fans in the country, far surpassing NYC in recent years.

VN Store

Back