The NCAA Is Holding Off On Investigating The Baylor Football Program Because Of COVID-19

After the clown car investigation of the UNC basketball program, I have little respect for the NCAA investigations. They'll bring the house for some programs for nitnoi stuff and ignore lack of institutional control for others. UNC had classes just for bball players which they didn't even attend and players who were passed without attending legitimate classes. Virtually nothing happened to the school or players involved.

After the clown car investigation of the UNC basketball program, I have little respect for the NCAA investigations. They'll bring the house for some programs for nitnoi stuff and ignore lack of institutional control for others. UNC had classes just for bball players which they didn't even attend and players who were passed without attending legitimate classes. Virtually nothing happened to the school or players involved.
The reason they got away with it is because the classes weren't just for basketball players (or athletes generally); anybody in the student body could take them. They got off on a technicality. In order for the NCAA to have jurisdiction and nail them, they would have had to have been an impermissible benefit for athletes only.

The lesson learned there was that if you are going to cheat, cheat big. What they were doing actually put their academic accreditation at risk rather than NCAA trouble.

The reason they got away with it is because the classes weren't just for basketball players (or athletes generally); anybody in the student body could take them. They got off on a technicality. In order for the NCAA to have jurisdiction and nail them, they would have had to have been an impermissible benefit for athletes only.

The lesson learned there was that if you are going to cheat, cheat big. What they were doing actually put their academic accreditation at risk rather than NCAA trouble.
Ironically, the main reason they got off was because of the number 23. They lawyered up and spent $23 million on legal fees.

Reactions: 05_never_again

I don't even think they got looked at deeply. Doesn't look like they suffered at all from that.

and a lot of the accreditation boards are paying more attention to PC stuff than anything else.

This is 100% correct. UNC knew how to cover their butts. It allowed them to present this scandal as an institutional problem, rather than being a matter for the NCAA. The lack of NCAA jurisdiction became their defense. UNC athletes weren't getting benefits that weren't also available to the rest of the student body.

However, the academic community at UNC - Chapel Hill has really sold their souls over this. That school was once regarded as one of the most prestigious public schools in the country prior to these revelations. That is a much harder argument for them to make in the aftermath of what their administration was allowing to occur for all of those years.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I don't even think they got looked at deeply. Doesn't look like they suffered at all from that.

and a lot of the accreditation boards are paying more attention to PC stuff than anything else.
UNC was investigated. There just wasn't anything that the NCAA could do about it. The NCAA Committee on Infractions didn't have jurisdiction over this issue. It was a problem that went to the core of UNC - Chapel Hill's institution, not just their athletic department.

UNC was investigated. There just wasn't anything that the NCAA could do about it. The NCAA Committee on Infractions didn't have jurisdiction over this issue. It was a problem that went to the core of UNC - Chapel Hill's institution, not just their athletic department.
I think he meant not much suffering overall for them, not just on the athletic side.

Did anything negative truly happen to them as a result of all of that, other than a damaged reputation? And I don't think the damaged reputation is even hurting them financially - I never saw where they were having enrollment problems, lost any accreditation, etc. Best I can tell, they 100% got away with it.

I think he meant not much suffering overall for them, not just on the athletic side.

Did anything negative truly happen to them as a result of all of that, other than a damaged reputation? And I don't think the damaged reputation is even hurting them financially - I never saw where they were having enrollment problems, lost any accreditation, etc. Best I can tell, they 100% got away with it.
Yeah, if you are willing to compromise the integrity of your entire academic institution, including your mission statement, in order to have better sports teams... I suppose you can get away with anything you want.

I meant with the acredidation. I dont know what school the bs class was in, but I did a quick Google and didnt see any of their schools losing accreditation. Closest I found was an article from two years after saying they were still accredited despite the fake classes. Which is why i said no negatives.

When was Baylor last relevant in football?

I remember they lost a shootout to UCF in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago, and since then, nothing

I think Women’s Basketball took the hit .

Wouldn't this be too after the fact? 4 years? The coaches are gone, Part of the admin is gone. Most, if not all the players involved as well as the rest of the roster have moved on.

Wouldn't this be too after the fact? 4 years? The coaches are gone, Part of the admin is gone. Most, if not all the players involved as well as the rest of the roster have moved on.
That's just how the NCAA rolls.

VN Store

Back