The most disappointing game that I can remember.

I'm afraid they peaked too soon. I remember this being a problem for Barnes at the other UT.
When was it they peaked? When they went 19 in a row but most of them were not great teams? Or was is when Tennessee lost a few to good teams but still beat KY, Missi, MS ST? Or heck yesterday when they beat a “then” projected one seed KY? Because that was just yesterday. The same team as yesterday was the same as today they just didn’t play with the same effort.......,,as of just yesterday this team was still peaking and with effort and being stronger mentally they can still peak.

Reactions: Jonboy
So you'd rather lose to UK to get a better reputation, than beat Kentucky and then lay an egg. Not me. Ever.

You always, always want to play for a championship...even if you flame out big time.

Lol, its not just echoing DV, its the truth...half of your list can be attritbuted to lack of effort. Noone is saying they didnt care. To me, they won their championship yesterday and approached today as a check in the box. Its not that it was a hard fought game they just lost, they got embarrassed.[/QUOTE
I'll bet most of our fanbase went to bed last night thinking we just beat the most talented team in the conference with a great team effort and we would demolish AU today. Didn't happen and it's obvious the guys that actually played the game went to bed thinking the same thing last night.

Reactions: LampVol
I think about where we were at a few years ago compared to now. That helps fight off disappointment.

An early round loss next week would be a lot worse than today, but I don't think that will happen

Reactions: VOLstuckinKY2
There's no choice to put it in the rear view. I hope Barnes doesn't even look at the tape on this and just starts looking at our next opponent tonight.

If you are Barnes then you have to look at the tape regardless of how brutal it was. Then you find things line maybe Pons should've played more. Remind guys not to get in a frenzy against a team that can only play that style. Notice if Kyle got too much rest or is this a game where he could've gotten more touches.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
We've been miserable at defending the 3 all year. We all were thinking teams just have incredible shooting nights, well some did, but we can't stay in front of them, and leave them open looks too much.. Got to bother the shot more and we haven't done it much all year. Not going to fix it now i don't think.

We've been miserable at defending the 3 all year. We all were thinking teams just have incredible shooting nights, well some did, but we can't stay in front of them, and leave them open looks too much.. Got to bother the shot more and we haven't done it much all year. Not going to fix it now i don't think.

Very true.

If you are Barnes then you have to look at the tape regardless of how brutal it was. Then you find things line maybe Pons should've played more. Remind guys not to get in a frenzy against a team that can only play that style. Notice if Kyle got too much rest or is this a game where he could've gotten more touches.
Our whole approach to this game was bad. It doesn't have to bode anything for the NCAA Tournament though. We can learn from this...

And it’s on the players. They came out careless, unenergetic, and uninspired. You don’t need a coach firing you up to understand the ramifications of this game.

What a shame, too, because it had all the makings of a game that would go down in Tennessee lore. It appeared to be all in the cards: in Nashville, off a monster comeback, with a veteran team which has been our best team in memory, in a conference championship revenge game.

Some of you will cry “Negavol” or make excuses like “matchup” or “tired” or “Barnes/Pearl” or whatnot, but let’s call a spade a spade.

This sucked. Now let’s move on. Go Vols.

How dare you put any blame on the players. Dont you know by now? Its ALL the coaches fault because he is the one getting paid the big bucks. All the turnovers, poor defense, missed shots, missed free throws. Thats all on Barnes. Players can never be blamed in college sports.

BTW, I completely agree with you.

Reactions: volsack7
This is the most Tennessee game ever. Best team in program history and won’t hang a single banner.
Unfortunately it’s not going to be the best team in UT history unless they go to the final four or past. Great team that I love with all my heart yes but the best hang banners. They are my favorite team but they have to show up.

How dare you put any blame on the players. Dont you know by now? Its ALL the coaches fault because he is the one getting paid the big bucks. All the turnovers, poor defense, missed shots, missed free throws. Thats all on Barnes. Players can never be blamed in college sports.

Youll never get off that will you? Weird how our BB team had an awesome season and our football team....well......

We were lucky to beat Vandy in Nashville. Grant hits 23/23 free throws. Miss one of those and we never make OT.

If Bama had hit free throws would have lost that one too. Some times this team doesn’t show up.

Except JG, right?

Reactions: BreatheUT
Youll never get off that will you? Weird how our BB team had an awesome season and our football team....well......

Yeah I forgot that Barnes is a first year HC. Oh wait. Look this loss was 100% on the players and nothing else. They failed Barnes. Simple as that. They got beat by the better team today. I think if this team plays to its potential game after game, then they could make it to the final 4. But the players will have to show up and dotheir job.

Unfortunately it’s not going to be the best team in UT history unless they go to the final four or past. Great team that I love with all my heart yes but the best hang banners. They are my favorite team but they have to show up.
I understand what you’re saying, but this is the most talented team in modern Tennessee basketball history. And it’s not really close, frankly. I admit they have deminished that status by failing to win anything of substance, but to say any previous teams were as talented as this one simply isn’t accurate.

I understand what you’re saying, but this is the most talented team in modern Tennessee basketball history. And it’s not really close, frankly. I admit they have deminished that status by failing to win anything of substance, but to say any previous teams were as talented as this one simply isn’t accurate.
So they'll be the most disappointing team if they don't make a deep run in the NCAAT.

From a talent perspective they certainly are.

Hardly. The 1977 Tennessee team won the SEC and had 3 guys play 8+ years in the NBA (King, Grunfeld & Johnson). They also had 3 guys who led the team to the 1979 SEC tournament championship (Johnson, Darden & Crosby). The ‘77 Vols were far more talented.

There’s definitely something to the whole Rick Barnes and tournaments. Not sure what it is but the guy just doesn’t win when it matters in March
Lack of adjustments in my opinion. Go zone. Run a weave/screen offense off the 3 point line. Just nothing.

So they'll be the most disappointing team if they don't make a deep run in the NCAAT.

No, it will be disappointing to us fans but they’re not Final Four talented. Maybe with effort, unselfish play and smarts, they can make it. None of those were there on the floor today.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Lack of adjustments in my opinion. Go zone. Run a weave/screen offense off the 3 point line. Just nothing.

Players didnt want it. DV and others said it. Auburn looked and played like they wanted more. All the TOs, terrible defense and missed shots werent on Barnes.

VN Store

Back