The Magic will Return to Knoxville

Hess hall was awesome. That is a 63.7% though.

Duly noted and corrected on post. Thanks and Math was not my major!! And that is one of the stats that really surprised me but, now that it is accurate, I am not as surprised about that one!

I first saw and used a microwave in Hess Hall. Actually, not for food, but to try to melt wax. Would have worked, too, except I blew it up because of the metallic weight on the wick. Just a hick from Winchester.

Hey Tarheel, I'm a hick from Winchester as well. You didn't happen to grow up in Bel-Aire Subdivision did you?

So I have thought the Dooley/Kiffin years are rougly equivalent to the first 4 years under Major, while the Jones years are kind of like the next 5 (with the exception of 2017). In other words, slow progress but progress. Maybe Pruitt can be Johnny from 85-90 when, while we didn't win it all but did win 3 SEC championships, will be what Pruitt brings Of course, it's harder to win an SECC nowadays with the extra regular season game or two plus championship game, and in fact 2/3 we won in that phase were shared, and that definitely doesn't happen anymore. But hoping Pruitt can at least win an SECC, or get us to the game.

As an aside, if Johnny had posted his four year record in this era, he'd a been gone, native son returning and all notwithstanding.

I first saw and used a microwave in Hess Hall. Actually, not for food, but to try to melt wax. Would have worked, too, except I blew it up because of the metallic weight on the wick. Just a hick from Winchester.
Ha, I used a regular oven for the first time in Hess. Put a frozen pizza in with the package as a plate. Dam near burned the place down. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Hey Tarheel, I'm a hick from Winchester as well. You didn't happen to grow up in Bel-Aire Subdivision did you?
Nope. I grew up out on the Elk river/ Tims Ford area just off the Old Tullahoma highway. Man, I loved that river - fishing for redeye perch!

Ha, I used a regular over for the first time in Hess. Put a frozen pizza in with the package as a plate. Dam near burned the place down. :D
I have to think back on those days when I think about the stuff my young men do! It can be painful, though. "Did I really do that" and then, "I just gave him a credit card..." !

In the Fall of 1975, this Yank from Jersey landed at Hess Hall for a fun and memorable 4 years. Never missed a home game and traveled to some road games including Columbia, Lexington and Bham (shook hands w/the Bear even). I love Tennessee Football and feel that Coach Pruitt is the real deal. It's a marathon, not a sprint in the rebuilding world of college football but, there is a definitive expiration date of 3-5 years in big time programs if one does not reach lofty expectations.

Below is a list of all our season records since my first home game at Neyland vs the Maryland Terps on 9/13/75. I share this because the stats threw me off a bit. I, like all on VN, hope CJP can return the Orange to an annual powerhouse but was a bit surprised by the following stats:

341 Wins/186 Losses/8 Ties
.637 Winning % (corrected)
Average Annual Wins since 1975 = 7.75
Average Annual Losses since 1975 = 4.24
7 Head Coaches
18-13 Bowl Record in 44 years

We've had a number of hard to endure years, bunch of mediocre seasons, some very good years and, a couple of excellent years. Unfortunately, the hard to endure years have been plentiful as of late, so it's not surprising our fading memories are grasping to hold onto the glory years of past. And while I don't want to settle for 7.75 wins, one of those seasons right now, or better, is just what the doctor ordered.

Thank you again Coach Pruitt for giving your all to bring back the magic to Knoxville.!! Go Big Orange!

1975 Bill Battle 7–5–0 3–3–0
1976 Bill Battle 6–5–0 2–4–0
1977 Johnny Majors 4–7–0 1–5–0
1978 Johnny Majors 5–5–1 3–3–0
1979 Johnny Majors 7–5–0 3–3–0 L Bluebonnet
1980 Johnny Majors 5–6–0 3–3–0
1981 Johnny Majors 8–4–0 3–3–0 W Garden State
1982 Johnny Majors 6–5–1 3–2–1 L Peach
1983 Johnny Majors 9–3–0 4–2–0 W Florida Citrus
1984 Johnny Majors 7–4–1 3–3–0 L Sun
1985 Johnny Majors 9–1–2 5–1–0 W Sugar
1986 Johnny Majors 7–5–0 3–3–0 W Liberty
1987 Johnny Majors 10–2–1 4–1–1 W Peach
1988 Johnny Majors 5–6–0 3–4–0
1989 Johnny Majors 11–1–0 6–1–0 W Cotton
1990 Johnny Majors 9–2–2 5–1–1 W Sugar
1991 Johnny Majors 9–3–0 5–2–0 L Fiesta
1992 Johnny Majors 9–3–0 5–3–0 W Hall of Fame
1993 Phillip Fulmer 10–2–0 7–1–0 L Florida Citrus
1994 Phillip Fulmer 8–4–0 5–3–0 W Gator
1995 Phillip Fulmer 11–1–0 7–1–0 W Florida Citrus
1996 Phillip Fulmer 10–2 7–1 W Florida Citrus
1997 Phillip Fulmer 11–2 7–1 L Orange
1998 Phillip Fulmer 13–0 8–0 W Fiesta
1999 Phillip Fulmer 9–3 6–2 L Fiesta
2000 Phillip Fulmer 8–4 5–3 L Cotton
2001 Phillip Fulmer 11–2 7–1 W Florida Citrus
2002 Phillip Fulmer 8–5 5–3 L Peach
2003 Phillip Fulmer 10–3 6–2 L Peach
2004 Phillip Fulmer 10–3 7–1 W Cotton
2005 Phillip Fulmer 5–6 3–5
2006 Phillip Fulmer 9–4 5–3 L Outback
2007 Phillip Fulmer 10–4 6–2 W Outback
2008 Phillip Fulmer 5–7 3–5
2009 Lane Kiffin 7–6 4–4 L Chick-fil-A
2010 Derek Dooley 6–7 3–5 L Music City
2011 Derek Dooley 5–7 1–7
2012 Derek Dooley 5–7 1–7
2013 Butch Jones 5–7 2–6
2014 Butch Jones 7–6 3–5 W TaxSlayer
2015 Butch Jones 9–4 5–3 W Outback
2016 Butch Jones 9–4 4–4 W Music City
2017 Butch Jones 4–8 0–8
2018 Jeremy Pruitt 5-7 2-6

Nice work but wasn’t there a tie in ‘93???

Nope. I grew up out on the Elk river/ Tims Ford area just off the Old Tullahoma highway. Man, I loved that river - fishing for redeye perch!

I still fish the Elk River below Tims Ford Dam all the way down to Fayetville. Also several creeks like the Crow in Sherwood, Beans Creek down toward Huntland and Boiling Fork in Winchester. Black Perch, or Redeyes as we call them, are great table fare. I think the official name for those fish is "Rock Bass." Floated Beans Creek last week and caught 35-40 smallmouth bass. None over 2 pounds, but lots of fun when you're fishing a 5'6" light action rod with 6 pound test line.

I still fish the Elk River below Tims Ford Dam all the way down to Fayetville. Also several creeks like the Crow in Sherwood, Beans Creek down toward Huntland and Boiling Fork in Winchester. Black Perch, or Redeyes as we call them, are great table fare. I think the official name for those fish is "Rock Bass." Floated Beans Creek last week and caught 35-40 smallmouth bass. None over 2 pounds, but lots of fun when you're fishing a 5'6" light action rod with 6 pound test line.
When I separated from the army in '78, a friend turned me on to trout fishing at Garner's Ford. That evolved into float trips, campouts, etc.. I knew that section down to Shiloh bridge like the back of my hand. I've got some stories! I think that is what Heaven must be like - no license - no limits!

*Did you know that Davy and Polly Crockett had a cabin on a tributary to Beans Creek I think called Rattlesnake Branch? What a cool.place.

https://www.topozone.com/tennessee/franklin-tn/stream/rattlesnake-spring-branch-2/

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
When I separated from the army in '78, a friend turned me on to trout fishing at Garner's Ford. That evolved into float trips, campouts, etc.. I knew that section down to Shiloh bridge like the back of my hand. I've got some stories! I think that is what Heaven must be like - no license - no limits!

My family used to own a cabin at Garner's Ford. Washed away in the Christmas flood of 1991. We then sold the property. Down around Shiloh and below, the smallmouth fishing really picks up.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Lost more that we should have won than won more that we should have lost during that time span.

screen-shot-2018-01-26-at-9-10-17-am.png

So I have thought the Dooley/Kiffin years are rougly equivalent to the first 4 years under Major, while the Jones years are kind of like the next 5 (with the exception of 2017). In other words, slow progress but progress. Maybe Pruitt can be Johnny from 85-90 when, while we didn't win it all but did win 3 SEC championships, will be what Pruitt brings Of course, it's harder to win an SECC nowadays with the extra regular season game or two plus championship game, and in fact 2/3 we won in that phase were shared, and that definitely doesn't happen anymore. But hoping Pruitt can at least win an SECC, or get us to the game.

As an aside, if Johnny had posted his four year record in this era, he'd a been gone, native son returning and all notwithstanding.
Johnny played some of the toughest schedules in UT history during those years. In 1980 we played NC Georgia and USC back to back, then Alabama and Pitt back to back. Our OOC was always tough in those days.

My family used to own a cabin at Garner's Ford. Washed away in the Christmas flood of 1991. We then sold the property. Down around Shiloh and below, the smallmouth fishing really picks up.
I never, ever, caught a smallmouth on the Elk! Even when I fished before the lake was impounded. But, I usually used nightcrawlers and corn when still fishing. But, I was using a Roostertail when floating. You'd think I would have caught one on a spinner. Once I was floating and I drifted over a sunken/trapped cow carcass. I fished several consecutive weekends and watched the carcass decompose progressively down to the skeleton. It was like my own personal science project. Everything was visible in the gin clear water. So memorable and a highlight of the trip.

Nice work but wasn’t there a tie in ‘93???

Well if there was, reckon that will throw all these stats out and deem them irrelevant, huh??

Johnny played some of the toughest schedules in UT history during those years. In 1980 we played NC Georgia and USC back to back, then Alabama and Pitt back to back. Our OOC was always tough in those days.

Well....Uga and bammer are not OOC teams. Granted USC and Pitt are, but we often play one tough OOC in this era as well, such as OU recently. And recall we only played six SEC games back then and three of them were Vandy, Kentucky and Ole Miss. So I don't accept we had some of the "toughest schedules in SEC history" in the early 80s. We have had those more recently for sure.

It needs to in a major way. Not being a huge factor in the East is unacceptable. No excuses after this season, and even this year should show significant improvement if we are putting this back on track.

Reactions: vols72

VN Store

Back