The Liberal Argument for a Higher Minimum Wage

Of course it was coming. The up front cost is a deterrent until it isn't. Here we are. Where it isn't. Not bc costs went down in R&D. This has drastically picked up the pace of investment in automation in food service, grocery, big box, and gas stations. Cut their own throat 20 years earlier then needed.
McSon1 got a job at a local place as expo/runner. Wants to make a little cash for college. Told him I did that when I was in early twenties. Athletic parents pass on athletic DNA. I passed on Expo/Runner DNA. ;)

Reactions: AshG and volfanhill
McSon1 got a job at a local place as expo/runner. Wants to make a little cash for college. Told him I did that when I was in early twenties. Athletic parents pass on athletic DNA. I passed on Expo/Runner DNA. ;)

giphy-downsized.gif

Not sure what it has to do with ur post. I just like Heffernan

Reactions: Sandman 423
Automation has been on its way regardless of what happens with minimum wage. The elimination of the human error coefficient in quick service restaurants has been in process for decades.

The use of AI/ML in new drive through menu boards is intended to reduce wait time between pull up and engagement. AI/ML menu boards never forget to read back your order and also never forget to upsell. Several quick service restaurants now use ordering touchpads indoors, with a single traditional register for more complex orders.

As much as we want to blame this on people asking for more compensation, it's simply the natural order of things. It increases efficiency and decreases cost to the company. It speeds up customer transactions and allows for higher traffic flow during peak hours.

The basis of our economy is continuing its transformation from production based to service and consumption based. We can't blame workers for the natural evolution of the business world.
We blame the business world for it's own evolution. And we blame the CEOs and bosses as well.

Why not the workers?

And why isnt the evolution argument used against the workers who want to make a career out of bussing tables? Clearly they just need to learn to code right?

They better be paying that damn robot $15 an hour
Honestly, I'm trying to wrap my mind on how economical it would be to have a robot flipping burgers and dropping fry baskets in the manner that it does in some of the promo videos. having worked in the restaurant industry for nearly a decade in my 20s, I just don't see how this will work during the times when the restaurant is going thru a rush. Those little 1/4 full fry baskets would not cut it for starters.

Honestly, I'm trying to wrap my mind on how economical it would be to have a robot flipping burgers and dropping fry baskets in the manner that it does in some of the promo videos. having worked in the restaurant industry for nearly a decade in my 20s, I just don't see how this will work during the times when the restaurant is going thru a rush. Those little 1/4 full fry baskets would not cut it for starters.
Retrofitting manual fast food machines with robots as demonstrated in the video looks patently stupid. You’ve now got two separate capital items to maintain. I don’t think it ever makes sense in the smaller chains and mom and pop places. But if you have a McDonalds, Burger King, etc… putting their buying power behind the development cost now you’ve got a case. Then those large chains have an economic advantage over local shops and force them out. And in the end no low skill minimum wage fast food jobs. Yay?

Through a combination of flatting the curve and paying people to stay home, while choking our energy sector,our government has created an environment where entry level employee's are getting $18-$20hr. Everyone may want to strap on their big boy panties, because it looks like it is going to get ugly after the holidays.

Through a combination of flatting the curve and paying people to stay home, while choking our energy sector,our government has created an environment where entry level employee's are getting $18-$20hr. Everyone may want to strap on their big boy panties, because it looks like it is going to get ugly after the holidays.

Inflation is going to be a problem even by the Fed's admission well into 2024, so that means it's going to be long term. In this era of social media, the 70's era inflation and energy crisis would be exponentially worse. It will be a bloodbath politically for incumbents, Republicans and Democrats alike but the party in power will get the brunt of the fallout.

The bums aren't even taking those jobs in alot of places. Its more like many businesses will soon fail

VN Store

Back