The Importance of Assistant Coaches

creekdipper

Ran across this interesting article posted on Women's Hoops World re: the importance of assistant coaches to successful programs. It focuses on Notre Dame, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Connecticut, and Stanford. Since it involves several names mentioned as possible HC hires for our program, thought it might be of interest.

Longtime assistant coaches create stability, success and family

Although she's not mentioned, it also is a reminder that, despite her noted shortcomings as a head coach, Holly Warlick was valued by Pat and kept on staff for decades throughout the championship runs. It's very likely that her influence with the players helped keep disgruntled players focused and by doing this, she contributed greatly to our success.

Reactions: aretha57 and stllvf
I wasn't at practices when Pat was around but I suspect that Holly wasn't doing a lot of coaching. I think she was there as a buffer between Pat and the players. It seems as if the other assistants were more on the coaching side while Holly was more on the personal side. I think that is why her stint as head coach didn't work out. In interviews she said she didn't know and I think that was truthful. She didn't know because that isn't what she spent 30 years doing. My opinion only and I could be way off base but I have a feeling that I am more right than wrong on this point.

Orange - an old response because the ability to watch practice for fans stopped when the new practice facility was built. I attended many practices and they were tightly scripted and timed. The student assistants had timed assignments and were held accountable as well as players. PHS was an observer of the overall after the initial minutes. I do vividly remember Holdsclaw and another freshman (who transferred to MD, smile making the mistake to speak to each other while Coach was instructing. I also remember in later years Coach removed the players from their locker room and another time took away cell phones. (just for fun in what year did many basketball coaches allow players to include their twitter account on their official information page). And to ramble, I read a sports article that included the statistic on how important social media was to the player making the commitment to university. Summary: yes Holly may have had difficulty in getting the most our of today's young women, and yes she is not the only such coach or even parent raising todays young adults.

Ran across this interesting article posted on Women's Hoops World re: the importance of assistant coaches to successful programs. It focuses on Notre Dame, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Connecticut, and Stanford. Since it involves several names mentioned as possible HC hires for our program, thought it might be of interest.

Longtime assistant coaches create stability, success and family

Although she's not mentioned, it also is a reminder that, despite her noted shortcomings as a head coach, Holly Warlick was valued by Pat and kept on staff for decades throughout the championship runs. It's very likely that her influence with the players helped keep disgruntled players focused and by doing this, she contributed greatly to our success.

So this implys that good asst. coaches, like Holly must have been, make good head coaches like Holly has???? AND this is the type coach we should be looking at??? HUMMMMMMM

Orange - an old response because the ability to watch practice for fans stopped when the new practice facility was built. I attended many practices and they were tightly scripted and timed. The student assistants had timed assignments and were held accountable as well as players. PHS was an observer of the overall after the initial minutes. I do vividly remember Holdsclaw and another freshman (who transferred to MD, smile making the mistake to speak to each other while Coach was instructing. I also remember in later years Coach removed the players from their locker room and another time took away cell phones. (just for fun in what year did many basketball coaches allow players to include their twitter account on their official information page). And to ramble, I read a sports article that included the statistic on how important social media was to the player making the commitment to university. Summary: yes Holly may have had difficulty in getting the most our of today's young women, and yes she is not the only such coach or even parent raising todays young adults.

I have read two times. Guess I am to dump to understand just what your point is. The summary hepled me some, but your self proclaimed "ramble" looses me..

Doesn't matter the sport - at the end of the day a HC is an overall caretaker. Just like a CEO. Any CEO would tell you he's nothing without his regional team leads, district managers, office managers ect.

NEED help. Hopefully we get it right.

Doesn't matter the sport - at the end of the day a HC is an overall caretaker. Just like a CEO. Any CEO would tell you he's nothing without his regional team leads, district managers, office managers ect.

NEED help. Hopefully we get it right.

You,
get it!!!

A team is a corporation
A team is a family
there is one parallel between the three:

if the kids/frontline employees/players see anything not in sync,
they will attack that gap

The employees should never see a rift in the management(Execs/Managers/leads),,,,management has to come across as a "one" in the site of the employee

The kids should never see a rift between mom and dad,,,they have to come across as "one" in the site of the kids

A coach is the CEO of the team
you get it!

We watch everything.

Not mentioned in the article but certainly of interest to LV fans who have expressed hope that Jeff Walz will be your next coach, there are a lot of us who believe that Maryland would not have won the 2006 title if he wasn't there as Friese's assistant coach.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Since it looks like the AD will not land a big time coach with a big salary, hopefully whoever lands the job can spend some bucks on an assistant that knows offense.
I wonder Melanie Baucom would be interested in coaching again.

VN Store

Back