The hunt

You can pick it up after you have neutralized the threat with your secondary.

Different paths to a shared outcome. There are valid tactical arguments to be made on both sides. We use 2-point slings with a front QD. If I need to shed it, I can, but if I just let it go it sits muzzle-down across my chest rig. Since that's how I train, that's what I'm used to.

One point: We moved from handgun holsters on the front of the vest (cross-draw) to thigh rigs after a number of "hang-ups" during non-live fire drills. So, yeah...I get where you're coming from. But if it's a dynamic entry, which they all are when rounds are flying, I'm reluctant to shed my rifle when I might be doing fly-bys of doors en route to the threat.

Well...that and outside of 15 yards I'm nothing special with a handgun. Sometimes 7. Depends on the wind. The years have not been kind to what were average marksman skills to begin with. But for some reason, even moving fast (for me) at the high ready, Mr. Colt and I work very well together.

You be careful out there.

Reactions: Obsessed and 37L1
Different paths to a shared outcome. There are valid tactical arguments to be made on both sides. We use 2-point slings with a front QD. If I need to shed it, I can, but if I just let it go it sits muzzle-down across my chest rig. Since that's how I train, that's what I'm used to.

One point: We moved from handgun holsters on the front of the vest (cross-draw) to thigh rigs after a number of "hang-ups" during non-live fire drills. So, yeah...I get where you're coming from. But if it's a dynamic entry, which they all are when rounds are flying, I'm reluctant to shed my rifle when I might be doing fly-bys of doors en route to the threat.

Well...that and outside of 15 yards I'm nothing special with a handgun. Sometimes 7. Depends on the wind. The years have not been kind to what were average marksman skills to begin with. But for some reason, even moving fast (for me) at the high ready, Mr. Colt and I work very well together.

You be careful out there.
I have never been a great pistol shot. I have always done well with rifles, but handguns, I'm just in the ballpark. Of course, part of the reason may be because I have a lot more experience with a rifle going back many years.

I have never been a great pistol shot. I have always done well with rifles, but handguns, I'm just in the ballpark. Of course, part of the reason may be because I have a lot more experience with a rifle going back many years.
I struggle with handguns because I’m cross-dominate (dominate left eye but right handed). I don’t practice enough to overcome it, but I can hit a target at 15 feet. After that it becomes more of an issue.

My oldest is cross dominant in the opposite of you. I had her adjust her stance based on dominant eye only and after a bit of trial and error we found what worked and was comfortable. After that it was just building muscle memory to that stance. She's wicked good with a handgun now.

My oldest is cross dominant in the opposite of you. I had her adjust her stance based on dominant eye only and after a bit of trial and error we found what worked and was comfortable. After that it was just building muscle memory to that stance. She's wicked good with a handgun now.

I have 2 options.
A) blunder buss- 12 gauge
B) suppressing fire and max output.

While I’m decent with a rifle, I cannot hit **** with a handgun.
Keep a judge revolver for home defense.
If I don’t have time to get the 12 ga I’m going to need a spread pattern about the size of a basket ball.

I struggle with handguns because I’m cross-dominate (dominate left eye but right handed). I don’t practice enough to overcome it, but I can hit a target at 15 feet. After that it becomes more of an issue.
I can hit the target, but not with a great pattern. I mean I'm not going to miss a saucer sized target at 15 feet, but I'm not hitting bullseyes either.

Y’all have all seen pulp fiction where the guy jumps through the door and shoots 28 times with 2 guns at close range and doesn’t hit John Trv or Samuel J a single time?

That guys a better shot than I am

Actually, I was the Technical Consultant for that scene...

Reactions: DynaLo
I have 2 options.
A) blunder buss- 12 gauge
B) suppressing fire and max output.

While I’m decent with a rifle, I cannot hit **** with a handgun.
Keep a judge revolver for home defense.
If I don’t have time to get the 12 ga I’m going to need a spread pattern about the size of a basket ball.
I have a Judge by the bed also. I have it loaded with buckshot, combo discs/ bb's, and a couple of .45 Long Colts as chasers if they get close enough.

Reactions: volinsd
I have a Judge by the bed also. I have it loaded with buckshot, combo discs/ bb's, and a couple of .45 Long Colts as chasers if they get close enough.
I have a similar combination.
The mossy has bean bag round first then buckshot if a second shot is required.

You’re not a moron. You’re a smart enough person to state your beliefs without the name calling

If the name calling is a shortcut to a useful point, I don't mind. I don't think it's helpfull to express that some body is stupid, so calling them a name like "idiot" is not useful. But saying somebody is too much of a critic is fair game, and "hater" is a nice shortcut.

If the name calling is a shortcut to a useful point, I don't mind. I don't think it's helpfull to express that some body is stupid, so calling them a name like "idiot" is not useful. But saying somebody is too much of a critic is fair game, and "hater" is a nice shortcut.

Meh.
Maybe for some of the dimwits around here.
But I put you in the category with people like Septic or Dink. We may disagree but you’re intelligent enough to back your opinions with something of substance.

It may seem unfair that I’m calling you out. And it was probably better left unsaid....but.....as I said earlier, you’re not a moron so I expect more out of you.

Not that you should care at all what I think.
Apologies

Sh!t dude........Relax, you're so far up in the mountains :) nobody can find you in that man cave of yours.

Sh!t dude........Relax, you're so far up in the mountains :) nobody can find you in that man cave of yours.
I'm actually back in East Tennessee for about 2 weeks. The Judge stays here. Sometimes I take my 9mm Ruger with me over there, sometimes I'm unarmed there. I don't leave any firearms over there when I'm not there.

Come on guys..handguns are easy.
Stance is just as important as anything else, like breathing and trigger control. You have to have a stable platform.
I use a modified Chapman stance and the Chapman is actually a modified Weaver stance.
My dominant side leg is a little further back than a normal Chapman, I'm tall, but my upper body remains relatively square to my target. I grew up with rifles so the modified Chapman allows me to pretty much sight my handgun the same as I sight a rifle.
I find it's easier to absorb recoil and control muzzle flip as well, allowing you to get back on the target faster and easier for multiple shots.

Find a stance variation that works for you with live fire and dry practice it until you develop solid muscle memory.

I range practice between 5 to 20 yards with most shots at around 7 yards since stats put that as where the vast majority of self defense shootings occur.

I find myself sad this movie has supposedly been canned. It sounded funny to me. Most libs hate guns, so the idea of them hunting conservatives and acting out their violent fantasies amuses me. How could they cheer the movie while maintaining their stance on gun violence? It would have been fun to watch.

I find myself sad this movie has supposedly been canned. It sounded funny to me. Most libs hate guns, so the idea of them hunting conservatives and acting out their violent fantasies amuses me. How could they cheer the movie while maintaining their stance on gun violence? It would have been fun to watch.

What are you talking about?

VN Store

Back