The humble Ole Ball Coach, Steve Spurrier

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Orlando Sentinel - Spurrier calls to say he actually agrees with my SEC coaching rankings by

I wrote a column last week about college football being taken over by the hyper-focused, ultra-serious Stepford coaches and how I miss the candid, colorful Spurrier being on college football's big stage. Within that column, I commented on how Spurrier has fallen off the radar screen since taking over at South Carolina and pointed out that he is only ranked sixth in my current rankings of SEC coaches.

It turns out the column was reprinted in Spurrier's local newspaper in Columbia (S.C.) on Sunday morning. Thus, the phone call.

"Bianchi," Spurrier said jokingly, "they printed that stupid article of yours in my newspaper. You only rated me sixth? Have you forgotten about all those SEC championships we won at Florida?"
Spurrier then turned serious.

"Naw," he said, "your rankings were absolutely right. It's like Bill Parcells said, 'You are what your record says you are.' And right now our record isn't very good. A coach is only as good as his record and my record last year was 6-6. But don't count us out yet. We've got a chance to do something this year."

That guys rankings are crap. I'd rate miles behind brooks. Tuberville isn't number two. He'll prove that this year. Spurrier belongs in the top four. They got phil about right though.

VN Store

Back