The Holiday Inn Incident... My Thoughts

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
So much to say about this video

1. Pretty clear that we are an entitled and soft group of people. Bad things happen sometimes. I get it. I've been on both sides of this in my life... both a customer and the guy behind the counter. Neither one of these people showed they had the ability to deal with the normal stumbling blocks that life places in front of us from time to time. We are a fragile people group of men. I think we all know this could have very easily ended up the same way or worse had this been a Karen/Keisha cast in this life drama.
2. Oh yeah, this was made into a racial issue on social media
3. Why do we live in a world where we need to have these cellphones between us and the world around us... and then feel the need to get that dopamine fix as we see our video go viral.

Last edited:
Should be in the PF and I notice Youtube has comment turned off -- agree 100 percent about cell phones and attention whores filming every little thing though

People who want to record everything just for likes and hits are what the problem is.

That said, poor dude working there needs some counseling. Obviously not the right work for him.

Should be in the PF and I notice Youtube has comment turned off -- agree 100 percent about cell phones and attention whores filming every little thing though
I think in every instance that the video shows up the comments are either turned off or the thumbs up/thumbs down is turned off.

What precipitated that dialog of stable and reasonable individuals, by chance? The guy behind the camera seems to be seeking his 1.5 minutes of fame, and the guy behind the counter seems to have some issues with taking (what I'm guessing was) criticism from Camera Dude. Whether Camera Dude was filming or not, the hotel security cameras on the front desk would've captured the outburst of cranial drumming anyhow.

TLDR-type hotel story: I remember a few years back I drove up to The Caverns near Pelham for a bluegrass show (Lonesome River Band, and the Cleverlys). Driving up from Georgia, I knew I wasn't going to feel like driving back after the show so I booked a room at the Super 8 in Monteagle. Having stayed at the Knoxville Super 8 on Merchants Drive on game weekends, I figured I'd save a few bucks and have basic-but-acceptable accommodations. As is customary, I arrive and check in...no problems there aside from the front desk lady making a call to housekeeping to make sure the room had been cleaned, etc as it was pretty much right on the dot of when I could check in. I proceed back to my vehicle and drive around to the room grab my bag, walk up to the room, and swipe my key. Upon entering said room, I have a Goldilocks/Bears moment, where I realize someone was still inhabiting the room to some degree (as in living in there long term...half-eaten take-out food all over the place, no noticeable luggage evident from a quick scan). I returned my bag to my vehicle, drove back to the check-in desk, hopped out and went inside to calmly let the front desk lady know there had been a mix-up, thinking maybe there had been some miscommunication with Housekeeping along the way. Before I could do that however, there was another guest at the front desk who looked a bit worse for wear (and obviously distraught). She was alternating between talking on her mobile phone and pleading with the receptionist to grant her access to her room, and her stuff. The receptionist declined, alluding to the fact that the 3rd party (not present, and who I am guessing was on the other end of the mobile call) who had been paying for the room had ceased the payments a week back...at that point it clicked that this other guest was in fact the inhabitant of the room to which I had been provided a key. The negotiations between the receptionist, the guest, and who, based upon the end of the conversation I heard, I am guessing was the 'talent manager' of this guest continued for another 10 minutes with no accord being reached. Finally, Goldilocks said 'To hell with this' and sulks off to parts unknown. I stepped up to the counter and tell the receptionist, "I think you gave me a key to that person's room...may I have a different room please?" Presented with this reasonable and calm request, the receptionist apologized, checked me in to another (uninhabited) room, and made what I am guessing was a rather terse call to Housekeeping as I was walking out the lobby door. No cameras, no drama, just a peek into the life and times of an I-24 lot lizard and a dang fine bluegrass show.

Reactions: VolNExile
What precipitated that dialog of stable and reasonable individuals, by chance? The guy behind the camera seems to be seeking his 1.5 minutes of fame, and the guy behind the counter seems to have some issues with taking (what I'm guessing was) criticism from Camera Dude. Whether Camera Dude was filming or not, the hotel security cameras on the front desk would've captured the outburst of cranial drumming anyhow.

TLDR-type hotel story: I remember a few years back I drove up to The Caverns near Pelham for a bluegrass show (Lonesome River Band, and the Cleverlys). Driving up from Georgia, I knew I wasn't going to feel like driving back after the show so I booked a room at the Super 8 in Monteagle. Having stayed at the Knoxville Super 8 on Merchants Drive on game weekends, I figured I'd save a few bucks and have basic-but-acceptable accommodations. As is customary, I arrive and check in...no problems there aside from the front desk lady making a call to housekeeping to make sure the room had been cleaned, etc as it was pretty much right on the dot of when I could check in. I proceed back to my vehicle and drive around to the room grab my bag, walk up to the room, and swipe my key. Upon entering said room, I have a Goldilocks/Bears moment, where I realize someone was still inhabiting the room to some degree (as in living in there long term...half-eaten take-out food all over the place, no noticeable luggage evident from a quick scan). I returned my bag to my vehicle, drove back to the check-in desk, hopped out and went inside to calmly let the front desk lady know there had been a mix-up, thinking maybe there had been some miscommunication with Housekeeping along the way. Before I could do that however, there was another guest at the front desk who looked a bit worse for wear (and obviously distraught). She was alternating between talking on her mobile phone and pleading with the receptionist to grant her access to her room, and her stuff. The receptionist declined, alluding to the fact that the 3rd party (not present, and who I am guessing was on the other end of the mobile call) who had been paying for the room had ceased the payments a week back...at that point it clicked that this other guest was in fact the inhabitant of the room to which I had been provided a key. The negotiations between the receptionist, the guest, and who, based upon the end of the conversation I heard, I am guessing was the 'talent manager' of this guest continued for another 10 minutes with no accord being reached. Finally, Goldilocks said 'To hell with this' and sulks off to parts unknown. I stepped up to the counter and tell the receptionist, "I think you gave me a key to that person's room...may I have a different room please?" Presented with this reasonable and calm request, the receptionist apologized, checked me in to another (uninhabited) room, and made what I am guessing was a rather terse call to Housekeeping as I was walking out the lobby door. No cameras, no drama, just a peek into the life and times of an I-24 lot lizard and a dang fine bluegrass show.
That's why I say both parties played a part in this disaster. Neither the customer or the cashier showed the ability to handle adversity when it was presented. The customer wanted to go viral and make a scene and the cashier fell back into drama queening.

These are the men of our future...

Reactions: joevol33 and tbh
That's why I say both parties played a part in this disaster. Neither the customer or the cashier showed the ability to handle adversity when it was presented. The customer wanted to go viral and make a scene and the cashier fell back into drama queening.

These are the men of our future...
Was the customers name ever posted ?

Always surprises me when folks want to badger low paid service industry workers. Dude working at the desk doesn’t own the hotel nor is he responsible for the hotel’s policies and processes. Probably makes $10 an hour to sit there at a mind numbing job and get harassed by jack wagons who think they should get the experience of a 5* hotel for $89 a night. Typically get way better outcome by treating folks with respect and trying to calmly negotiate a resolution

Always surprises me when folks want to badger low paid service industry workers. Dude working at the desk doesn’t own the hotel nor is he responsible for the hotel’s policies and processes. Probably makes $10 an hour to sit there at a mind numbing job and get harassed by jack wagons who think they should get the experience of a 5* hotel for $89 a night. Typically get way better outcome by treating folks with respect and trying to calmly negotiate a resolution
My guess is that the employee is somewhere on the autism scale, with a family that was happy for him to have a "good" job at Holiday Inn. I'm glad that God will take care of the cameraman.

I have no idea what transpired before the video started, but if I was giving it to an employee and he reacted like that I would not say "so that's the type of people working here". That poor kid lost it and was obviously emotionally distraught. Who knows what else is going on in his life that caused that reaction. The idiot filming it should have backed off and tried to diffuse it instead of pouring gasoline on a fire. What do we call a male Karen?

I have no idea what transpired before the video started, but if I was giving it to an employee and he reacted like that I would not say "so that's the type of people working here". That poor kid lost it and was obviously emotionally distraught. Who knows what else is going on in his life that caused that reaction. The idiot filming it should have backed off and tried to diffuse it instead of pouring gasoline on a fire. What do we call a male Karen?

Chad

I heard in a video I saw a few days ago that it is "Darren", but don't quote me.

Kyle is what I’ve called them

she probably worked the truck stop at the next exit down. Next time, try Sewanee Inn.

Reactions: tbh
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough.

Unfortunately America isnt that tough anymore.
I feel like I’ve contributed to it a little in my relatively short lived career as a trial lawyer. Everything was a race to claim the ground of victim hood. We’ve taught a generation or two that being the victim confers some sort of moral authority. Eventually, whatever the modern day version of the Vikings is will come here and slaughter us all.

Yup...lesson learned. I appreciate the recommendation for next time...thanks!
I’ve thought that an enterprising person could do okay running a shuttle from Chattanooga to Pelham for those shows. Only show I’ve seen at Pelham so far was Hot Tuna, but I saw several at Cumberland Caverns before the move.

Reactions: tbh
I feel like I’ve contributed to it a little in my relatively short lived career as a trial lawyer. Everything was a race to claim the ground of victim hood. We’ve taught a generation or two that being the victim confers some sort of moral authority. Eventually, whatever the modern day version of the Vikings is will come here and slaughter us all.

It is a national attitude.

The whole flag at half staff is a pet peeve of mine. This nation has learned to love somberness.

VN Store

Back