The Hardest Thing to Do In Sports

You think you could hit one going 95 mph?

Been there, done that. Not easy. I'd also give a nod to golf. Ten again, for any untrained or unexperienced person in any given sport, any of the above mentioned sports would be hard. Shooting skeet also comes to mind.

That sounds about like my high-water mark in golf back when I played a couple times a week. I would have rounds of 45-35 or 43-33 but rarely could I put it together for 18 holes.
I think part of my problem is not being able to concentrate for long enough to play 18 holes. At some point in every 18 hole round, I would go to sleep mentally, make 3 or 4 bogeys in a row, and hardly remember hitting a shot during that time. After that, I would get the ship righted and play well again.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Been there, done that. Not easy. I'd also give a nod to golf. Ten again, for any untrained or unexperienced person in any given sport, any of the above mentioned sports would be hard. Shooting skeet also comes to mind.
Only time I ever fired a gun was about 5 years ago. I was invited to shook skeet. I used a double barrel, looked down the wrong barrel from the one I was firing, and hit my first shot. I turned around triumphantly and asked if I could stop right there so I could be a perfect shooter for the rest of my life. I couldn't, and I went 5 for 25.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
I think part of my problem is not being able to concentrate for long enough to play 18 holes. At some point in every 18 hole round, I would go to sleep mentally, make 3 or 4 bogeys in a row, and hardly remember hitting a shot during that time. After that, I would get the ship righted and play well again.

Perhaps the best golf argument isn't in the cumulative but the singular. I think (I could be remembering wrong) there's only something like 20 or so double eagles hit in a major ever.

My boss had a beer a hole policy. On weekends he preferred 36 holes of golf. There were other reasons not to remember shots.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I shoot in the 70s, if it's any hotter than that I don't go. Lol

My low score is usually the first 9. The cooler starts to empty on the back.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Knuckleballs. Putting them in the strike zone. Hitting them. Catching them.
My late brother was a knuckleballer . He was taught by a former minor league pitcher in our town. When he first showed his high school catcher his new pitch, he threw it down the middle and it hit the catcher in the shoulder. They decided he was onto something.

Greek Church in bowling - .3%.

For reference - 7/10 split has a .7% chance of being converted. Even pitchers have batting averages higher than several bowling situations.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Greek Church in bowling - .3%.

For reference - 7/10 split has a .7% chance of being converted. Even pitchers have batting averages higher than several bowling situations.
I'll have to google Greek Church. I'm not a bowler.

Knuckleballs. Putting them in the strike zone. Hitting them. Catching them.
phil-niekro-e1444522585880.jpg

bruce_benedict_autograph.jpg

Reactions: FallCreekVols
I hate that its called a double eagle mostly instead of an albatross. Its not a double eagle. An eagle cuts 2 strokes. Double that is cutting 4...which would be a hole in 1 on a par 5. Doesnt happen. What else that contains numbers, like golf scoring, calls anything "double" that isnt 2x the value of the original? Dumb name for a great accomplishment.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Here’s one that may be considered deadly, Swimming
I bet there’s many pro athletes that can’t swim more than 100 yards without stopping, and even going as far 400 yards in less than 5 minutes, lifeguards minimum have to swim 500 yards for Red Cross LG cert.
But for me as a swimmer the hardest thing to do would be to hit a baseball, I was a great fielder, and I can throw, but I cannot Hit, I’ll swim a 1000 yards any day of the week.

One of the greatest athletes of my lifetime batted .201 against AA pitchers in the Southern league.

That’s the strange thing about hitting a baseball, great athletes often struggle (Jordan) while average athletes excell (Gwinn)

I hate that its called a double eagle mostly instead of an albatross. Its not a double eagle. An eagle cuts 2 strokes. Double that is cutting 4...which would be a hole in 1 on a par 5. Doesnt happen. What else that contains numbers, like golf scoring, calls anything "double" that isnt 2x the value of the original? Dumb name for a great accomplishment.
No a double eagle on a par 5 would be making it in on your 2cd shot.

VN Store

Back