The great Dale Ellis

McHale was on that Minnesota team with Michael Thompson. Flip Saunders was the PG

That was a Monday night game and the Gophers were at FSU two and a half days later. Ellis was only the legal drinking age for four months. I guess both schools were on Christmas break. The good ole days.

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
How many after hours pitchers of beer did you have? Don’t you mean Kevin NASH?

actually, I meant Kevin McHale. (You know NBA Hall Of Famer) His Minnesota basketball team lost to the Vols in Stokley the night you question! I can't tell you how he and Vol freshman Dale Ellis happened to be running together but I can tell you they were! And Dale Ellis was not old enough to buy beer, so I bought it for him! Kevin McHale was old enough, but I bought his beers also!

Last edited:
Grunfeld was equally great after King joined him. SEC poy in 1976

Grunfeld’s greatness included putting aside any trace of selfishness when King joined in 1974-75. King was the SEC POY as a freshman (with Kevin Grevey) and sophomore in 1975 and 1976. Then they were co-SEC POYs in 1977. A lot of players as good as EG would have had their egos interfere.

Jan van Breda Kolff was the SEC POY as a senior in Ernie’s freshman year. JVBK barely averaged in double digits (10.9). EG averaged 17.4 ppg (no shot clock).

actually, I meant Kevin McHale. (You know NBA Hall Of Famer) His Minnesota basketball team lost to the Vols in Stokley the night you question! I can't tell you how he and Vol freshman Dale Ellis happened to be running together but I can tell you they were! And Dale Ellis was not old enough to buy beer, so I bought it for him! Kevin McHale was old enough, but I bought his beers also!

Ellis was 19. The legal age to drink in December 1979 was 19.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Grunfeld’s greatness included putting aside any trace of selfishness when King joined in 1974-75. King was the SEC POY as a freshman (with Kevin Grevey) and sophomore in 1975 and 1976. Then they were co-SEC POYs in 1977. A lot of players as good as EG would have had their egos interfere.

Jan van Breda Kolff was the SEC POY as a senior in Ernie’s freshman year. JVBK barely averaged in double digits (10.9). EG averaged 17.4 ppg (no shot clock).
I remember when we went to Vandy and shocked them at the end of the 1974 season

That was a Monday night game and the Gophers were at FSU two and a half days later. Ellis was only the legal drinking age for four months. I guess both schools were on Christmas break. The good ole days.
I miss The Volunteer Classic. The Great Alaskan Shootout and Maui were the advent of bigger holiday tournaments and the end of University invitationals

I miss The Volunteer Classic. The Great Alaskan Shootout and Maui were the advent of bigger holiday tournaments and the end of University invitationals

I figured that Minnesota was the Vol Classic, but I looked it up and it was just a random game on a Monday night in December at Stokely. TN beat Fordam 3 nights earlier and then beat Arizona State for the VC championship the next night. It was also strange that those 3 OOC games were sandwiched between Wednesday night wins over Auburn and Alabama on 12/12/79 and 12/19/79. Then losses to tOSU and Indiana just before and after Christmas. Versus Devoe’s alma mater and then his tOSU teammate and mentor (Bobby Knight).

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
I figured that Minnesota was the Vol Classic, but I looked it up and it was just a random game on a Monday night in December at Stokely. TN beat Fordam 3 nights earlier and then beat Arizona State for the VC championship the next night. It was also strange that those 3 OOC games were sandwiched between Wednesday night wins over Auburn and Alabama on 12/12/79 and 12/19/79. Then losses to tOSU and Indiana just before and after Christmas. Versus Devoe’s alma mater and then his tOSU teammate and mentor (Bobby Knight).
I had forgotten about those games with IU and OSU. I know the next year during the holidays they won the Great Alaskan Shootout

I turned 18 in 1980 and could buy alcohol then?

Not legally in Knoxville. But fake IDs were easy. You could make your own with your green TDL, a fingernail, and a typewriter. Plus hardly any of the bars on the strip even checked IDs. Or the convenience stores.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Trivia question for the 1980ish crowd.

The basketball team held a pre-season scrimmage in Tullahoma because of which player?

I had forgotten about those games with IU and OSU. I know the next year during the holidays they won the Great Alaskan Shootout

Devoe also lost to The General (the fake one) in the semi-finals of the 1985 NIT at MSG. The NIT was a pretty big deal at that time.

Not legally in Knoxville. But fake IDs were easy. You could make your own with your green TDL, a fingernail, and a typewriter. Plus hardly any of the bars on the strip even checked IDs. Or the convenience stores.
So Knoxville had different laws than Chattanooga? Seems like that would be a state law

So Knoxville had different laws than Chattanooga? Seems like that would be a state law

It was a state law. The drinking age was 18 in 1978 and earlier. Then it was raised to 19 in the spring of 1979. Then the federal government threatened to take away funds from the states that did not raise it to 21 in 1984.

Devoe also lost to The General (the fake one) in the semi-finals of the 1985 NIT at MSG. The NIT was a pretty big deal at that time.
Yeah, I remember that NIT pretty well. We beat Virginia to get to NYC. The thrashing of Louisville in the consolation game was pretty cool. Those teams were better than their records
Probably Seth McDonald.
Not probably but absolutely, but less because of Seth and more because of some hefty boosters from Tullahoma. Seth was a gift scholarship. He was nowhere near good enough to play at UT, which he didn't very often.

Yeah, I remember that NIT pretty well. We beat Virginia to get to NYC. The thrashing of Louisville in the consolation game was pretty cool. Those teams were better than their records

Not probably but absolutely, but less because of Seth and more because of some hefty boosters from Tullahoma. Seth was a gift scholarship. He was nowhere near good enough to play at UT, which he didn't very often.

Is that the NIT where we started with a road game in Cookeville against a really good TTU team. After trailing most of game, one of our guards hit a jumper to win it....(Jackson, Johnson, Carter, can't remember?) Too much Dickel

TN, Louisville, Indiana, and UCLA in the 1985 NIT FF at MSG. It might not have been televised. I didn’t own a VCR for another 9 months. Had one before the 1986 Sugar Bowl.

VN Store

Back