The Golf Thread

Spent the weekend in Birmingham at an inaugural guys' trip this weekend. We played all three RTJ courses there. Ross Bridge is world-class, no doubt. Immaculate condition, beautiful layout, great variety, and some real scoring opportunities. The Oxmoor Valley courses were nice, but not quite at the level as RB. The Valley course was largely a target track, and still very enjoyable. The Ridge course is built on old mining land with dramatic elevation changes and quite a bit of exposed rock. It was a lot more open, but there was plenty to handle with the slopes and more undulating greens.

Our stay at the Renaissance was great. We all agreed that it was strange to think we were actually in Alabama. Great food, comfortable rooms, accommodating staff, and reasonable prices.

All in all, a great trip, and I would highly recommend the area to anyone wanting a nice weekend golf (or family) getaway.

What's the best drill or swing technique you guys practice to stop chunking the ball with your irons?

What I've been trying to do is just focus on getting all of my weight on my front foot and making it a point to swing down on the ball..but sometimes I feel like I swing down way too much and just chunk the mess out of it.

I'm getting a lot better about it but still way more than I'd like, I'll chunk one so bad that it goes about 30-40 yards..embarrassing to say the least.

Just about impossible to answer that without seeing the swing. You could be, looking up, swaying, swinging too shallow, swinging too steep etc.

What's the best drill or swing technique you guys practice to stop chunking the ball with your irons?

What I've been trying to do is just focus on getting all of my weight on my front foot and making it a point to swing down on the ball..but sometimes I feel like I swing down way too much and just chunk the mess out of it.

I'm getting a lot better about it but still way more than I'd like, I'll chunk one so bad that it goes about 30-40 yards..embarrassing to say the least.

Try swinging through the ball & not at it. Sometimes it helps to focus on a spot in front of the ball. But like GA said its hard to say without seeing you swing but those tips won't hurt. Also make sure when you turn your not sliding, keep more weight on front foot.

I think I hit every Driver known to man today on the monitor/simulator at Edwin Watts. Ended up buying a Cleveland which I had never even looked at before today.

I think I hit every Driver known to man today on the monitor/simulator at Edwin Watts. Ended up buying a Cleveland which I had never even looked at before today.

You'll hate it by October. Not because Cleveland makes faulty drivers mind you, but simply because that's how the golf gods get their laughs in.

Reactions: 1 person
Thinking about getting a new set of irons. Going to be hard to get rid of the TA2's, but trying to get back into some Amateur events and will need conforming grooves. Anyone play the Taylormade TP MC, TP MB, or Rocketbladez Tour? Or Adams MB2 or CMB?

What Cleveland driver did you go with?

I like Cleveland wedges vs vokeys. To me it's just a look thing and ink have played them forever.

I went with the Cleveland 285 Classic XL. It really brought the spin rate down for me.

when i acquire enough money, I want to complete the wedge set with a PW, GW, LW

If you're willing to go a generation back, you can really save some money. You probably won't be able to tell the difference.

I used to think that people that carried 4 wedges were goofy until I started doing it and noticed that in any given round I was hitting all of them multiple times.

What Cleveland driver did you go with?

I like Cleveland wedges vs vokeys. To me it's just a look thing and ink have played them forever.

I too like Clevelands over Vokeys. The Clevelands are lighter and I just prefer the feel, but they are what I started playing with them, so I think it's just a natural feel. Never owned any other Cleveland products though.

This wrist sprain is killing me. All I want to do is hit a golf ball!

Man that Vokey wedge is magic around the greens. The feel is so nice.

I use the gap wedge that came with my set. Then I have a 54* vokey & a 59* trusty rusty. To me the trusty rusty is an underrated club.

5521BE83-35FB-46CA-8F69-8F82D06892B0-4085-000000C2B7FD8AD9.jpg

VN Store

Back