The Golf Thread

PGA Tour just upped its game.

I skimmed through some of it. They guarantee half a million but it doesn’t specify if that’s just based on earnings or includes any expenses. They’re also adding more events and perks for playing more events. I think more events was part of the issue to begin with.

Seems obvious this new TGL thing was created to give Tiger something he can physically handle, now that walking a golf course is a struggle for him.

To a degree, yes. He just went about making good point in a bad way.
Thing is, I wonder if Phil had to do it all over again he stays on the PGAT, knowing that they just adopted more or less what he wanted. Maybe not, because the LIV money is still better.

The statement he made to Shipnuck that started this whole firestorm seemed to indicate he actually didn't want to leave the PGAT at all. I think he does value the history, tradition, etc. of the Tour, but he values money more. He seemed to be fighting for, albeit in a sloppy way, a setup that would allow him to enjoy both - stay on the Tour but create a Tour within the Tour that paid/guaranteed him and other top players more cash.

Thing is, I wonder if Phil had to do it all over again he stays on the PGAT, knowing that they just adopted more or less what he wanted. Maybe not, because the LIV money is still better.

The statement he made to Shipnuck that started this whole firestorm seemed to indicate he actually didn't want to leave the PGAT at all. I think he does value the history, tradition, etc. of the Tour, but he values money more. He seemed to be fighting for, albeit in a sloppy way, a setup that would allow him to enjoy both - stay on the Tour but create a Tour within the Tour that paid/guaranteed him and other top players more cash.
It’s a money grab, pure and simple… and that’s OK if they’d just be honest and admit it. The whole professional golf freedom fighter act is comical. At Phil’s age, he wasn’t going to earn much in tournament winnings anyway.

I have no basis for this but a hunch and his sudden 180 degree personality change to a guarded and somewhat withdrawn individual. But could be he needed the $200 million like right now.

I have no basis for this but a hunch and his sudden 180 degree personality change to a guarded and somewhat withdrawn individual. But could be he needed the $200 million like right now.
That is certainly a possibility, especially if he racked up $40m in gambling losses in the early 2010s.

What a great finish! After they finished the 3rd round this morning, I was worried the final round was going to be a boring blowout.

Damn, I bet on Xander and Rory to win on Thursday night. So, when Xander tied for the lead, early Sunday (I think), I cashed out, both bets and doubled my money. But, if I let it ride, Rory was +1600 on a $10 bet, would have won $170, story of my life

This ESPN+ option sucks. You only get to watch one twosome, there is no "main feed."

I think it's because of current contracts. ESPN+ does have a main feed of most PGA tournaments and I think Majors but it's only the early morning sessions until about noon Eastern time. I noticed after that the feed quits and then The Golf Channel usually picked up coverage and then if it was Day 3 and 4 then the major network takes over closer to when the leaders tee off.

It’s a money grab, pure and simple… and that’s OK if they’d just be honest and admit it. The whole professional golf freedom fighter act is comical. At Phil’s age, he wasn’t going to earn much in tournament winnings anyway.

It was also comical to me Cameron Smith whining about how unfair it was that (for now at least) LIV golfers don't get any points for world rankings. Um, you knew that going in, so there's nothing "unfair" about it. That was part of your decision.

It was also comical to me Cameron Smith whining about how unfair it was that (for now at least) LIV golfers don't get any points for world rankings. Um, you knew that going in, so there's nothing "unfair" about it. That was part of your decision.

They will before it’s all said and done.

VN Store

Back