The Golf Thread

Shot an 80 for the first time the other day. Had a 10ft putt for birdie on 18 to shoot 79 and just barely lipped out. Shot a 43 on the front nine and a 37 on the back. Feeling really good about my iron and wedge play but the driver is all over the place. If I could get the driver figured out I should be able to break 80.

Shot an 80 for the first time the other day. Had a 10ft putt for birdie on 18 to shoot 79 and just barely lipped out. Shot a 43 on the front nine and a 37 on the back. Feeling really good about my iron and wedge play but the driver is all over the place. If I could get the driver figured out I should be able to break 80.
Almost in that 2 percent, that's fantastic!

Reactions: Matt2496

This is me too, has been for the 5 years I’ve been playing golf.

Iron is a comfortable swing for me. I strike down at the ball and try to catch a nice divot right after, I pretty much swing without thinking, just shift may weigh towards the target and make a nice contact.

Driver swing is just completely uncomfortable. It’s like I try to focus hard on picking it off the tee, then I hit it with some obscure part of the face. If I can manage to get my set up and backswing perfect, I end up with my face pointing god knows what direction and slicing or duck hooking. Sometimes I just fly the ball straight up in the air.

I don’t remember which famous golfer said it, but he said “If you can’t hit a driver, don’t.” I take a 5 iron off the tee 9/10 times and I enjoy the game so much more now because of it.

First time I played with a shot to break 80, I had the exact same scenario. My biggest mistake was looking at my scorecard going up to the tee on 18 and finding out all I needed was a par to do it. Well, that was in my head the entire hole. Anyone who plays golf knows what happened. :(

Anyone have any recommendations for a fairly forgiving driving iron/hybrid?

There’s a pretty big difference between those 2 club types. Are you looking for a fairway finder or a long iron replacement? I have a sim max 4 hybrid and it’s the best hybrid I ever hit.

Hybrids have been around for 15-20 years and I swear that to this day I still can't find one I like. I literally stuck an old 3 iron in with my new set just so I won't have to look at the hybrid in the bag.

Reactions: kcvols1
I can’t hit a driving iron to save my life. I have played around with different hybrids for the last 2 decades. I still go back to my old trusty Adam’s Tight Lies I got in the early 2000s (it’s been regripped and shafted).

Might sound cliche, but I found a Adam's tight lies on ebay for $15 a couple years ago and I love it. I couldnt hit any other fairway wood off the deck until I tried this one. I also can put it in the fairway off the tee when my driver is failing me.

Hybrids have been around for 15-20 years and I swear that to this day I still can't find one I like. I literally stuck an old 3 iron in with my new set just so I won't have to look at the hybrid in the bag.

I still to this day carry a two and three iron, best clubs in my bag most days. Good thing too, I’m a shortnocker. Tried several hybrids and couldn’t hit any of them consistently worth a damn, just don’t suit my eye or feel.

All the driver inconsistency talk - that's probably the only consistent part of my game. I'm consistently 88-90 golfer and my driver game has taken off the last 4 months. It's the most reliable part of my game and I'm 275ish off the tee. Obviously a lot can happen on the tee box, but I've done 3 things that have helped me tremendously. 1) I swing 90% with a slow backswing and make sure I'm squaring my club up, hitting the ball in the proper spot on the club. Timing is really the purpose of the backswing and to get a rhythm with weight shift. If you get comfortable putting your ball in the fairway, you can add other parts back to the mix 2) I focus on not moving my head - still as possible. As with many golf shots, 90% of it is mental. Focus on something else, it helps keep your mind off other things and you know if you miss that it's not because you're moving your head! 3) Instead of looking at the center of the ball (like I used to do), I focus on the back of the golf ball, the part I want to strike first.

It won't work for everyone, but it helped me become a much better golfer off the tee box

Reactions: peaygolf
All the driver inconsistency talk - that's probably the only consistent part of my game. I'm consistently 88-90 golfer and my driver game has taken off the last 4 months. It's the most reliable part of my game and I'm 275ish off the tee. Obviously a lot can happen on the tee box, but I've done 3 things that have helped me tremendously. 1) I swing 90% with a slow backswing and make sure I'm squaring my club up, hitting the ball in the proper spot on the club. Timing is really the purpose of the backswing and to get a rhythm with weight shift. If you get comfortable putting your ball in the fairway, you can add other parts back to the mix 2) I focus on not moving my head - still as possible. As with many golf shots, 90% of it is mental. Focus on something else, it helps keep your mind off other things and you know if you miss that it's not because you're moving your head! 3) Instead of looking at the center of the ball (like I used to do), I focus on the back of the golf ball, the part I want to strike first.

It won't work for everyone, but it helped me become a much better golfer off the tee box
Only thing I disagree with is the 90% swing. Swing 100%...................knowing that 100% is as aggressive as you can, while maintaining balance and posture.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
I have a Ping G410 3 hybrid (the loft is set at 18 degrees) that I hit really well. I use it off the tee and from the fairway. I hit hybrids off the turf with better consistency than fairway woods.

If you don’t hit hybrids well, there are several good utility irons available right now. Most manufacturers have at least one utility iron model.

I ditched both the 3 and the hybrid. I’ll go strong 4 or easy 5w

Reactions: Rishvol

VN Store

Back