The Golf Thread

The perfect day is to go play Sewanee, have lunch and then go play Sweetens Cove. The best 2 nine hole course in the country (My opinion).

Sweetens Cove

Sewanee-Press-Downloads-Golf-Drone-5bc5fdaa535f0.jpg
Sewanee Golf Course
Play 18 at Sewanee. While playing to the same greens, front and back are different yardages/angles. Tiger tees are tough

Reactions: peaygolf
The University of the South course in Sewanee is only 9 holes but prestigious and difficult. Better course than Sweeton's cove. The Bear Trace at Harrison Bay is good course. Totally disagree with it being similar to the two Knoxville courses. Try Bear Trace at Tim's Ford.

I'm going to have to disagree with ya on that one. Sewanee is a great course with beautiful views, but I prefer the uniqueness of Sweetens. I'd be happy to play either one of them.

They used to have the Tennessee Intercollegiate Golf Championship (no longer held) at Sewanee years ago. Imagine every University/College in the state playing a 9 hole course. The golf course then was good, but what they have done with the renovations is amazing.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
I'm going to have to disagree with ya on that one. Sewanee is a great course with beautiful views, but I prefer the uniqueness of Sweetens. I'd be happy to play either one of them.

They used to have the Tennessee Intercollegiate Golf Championship (no longer held) at Sewanee years ago. Imagine every University/College in the state playing a 9 hole course. The golf course then was good, but what they have done with the renovations is amazing.
I played in the TIC at Sewanee on 3 occasions

Reactions: peaygolf
The most miserable afternoon I think I’ve ever spent on a golf course up that way was when I was a freshman and we went to play The Farm outside Dalton. It had just poured down rained and we played it all the way back and walked it. Straight up death march.

The most miserable afternoon I think I’ve ever spent on a golf course up that way was when I was a freshman and we went to play The Farm outside Dalton. It had just poured down rained and we played it all the way back and walked it. Straight up death march.

Great track though.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
I have a question for the golfers who are way better than me. I typical shoot in the low to mid 90s. My driver is just fine, however my approach shots need a lot of work. I can make good contact with the ball approximately 65-70% of the time. However, when I mess up the contact I miss badly. For example, I can go from topping a hybrid layup on a par 5 to flushing the next shot with the very same club. Just absolutely wild inconsistency. Every time I make a swing I have no idea where the ball will go.

With that said, each swing I make feels the same to me. Whether I flush it or hit way out on the toe, it all feels like I'm swinging the same way, when I'm clearly not. Is there anything yall can think of that could help with consistency through impact? Or do I just need lessons?

My scorecard is littered with double bogeys and pars. If I could just get some level of consistency with approach shots, I feel like I could get down into the low 80s.

I have a question for the golfers who are way better than me. I typical shoot in the low to mid 90s. My driver is just fine, however my approach shots need a lot of work. I can make good contact with the ball approximately 65-70% of the time. However, when I mess up the contact I miss badly. For example, I can go from topping a hybrid layup on a par 5 to flushing the next shot with the very same club. Just absolutely wild inconsistency. Every time I make a swing I have no idea where the ball will go.

With that said, each swing I make feels the same to me. Whether I flush it or hit way out on the toe, it all feels like I'm swinging the same way, when I'm clearly not. Is there anything yall can think of that could help with consistency through impact? Or do I just need lessons?

My scorecard is littered with double bogeys and pars. If I could just get some level of consistency with approach shots, I feel like I could get down into the low 80s.
Do your hands ache after playing? Do you have little indentions on your iron grips where your thumb and index fingers lie, or are those fingers callused? Sounds like your either pulling up and out of your approach shots (avoiding fat shots?) or you're over-tightening your hands and trying to manipulate the clubface through impact. It's an easy thing to do on shots where the premium is on accuracy, but not as common on free-swinging shots like your drives.

Reactions: Matt2496
Do your hands ache after playing? Do you have little indentions on your iron grips where your thumb and index fingers lie, or are those fingers callused? Sounds like your either pulling up and out of your approach shots (avoiding fat shots?) or you're over-tightening your hands and trying to manipulate the clubface through impact. It's an easy thing to do on shots where the premium is on accuracy, but not as common on free-swinging shots like your drives.
I have noticed calluses developing on my right hand so you might be onto something.

I have noticed calluses developing on my right hand so you might be onto something.
It's a good starting point. Next time you play, before you take those shots, take the club in your left hand and grip it with just the bottom three fingers and make a few easy swings to get the feel for the wrist making a good hinge and release, then make the shot with that same feel.

Take a lesson. You need to feel what it feels like to load the club, swing on the right path and translate it into solid contact. Until then, you're going to struggle trying to find consistency by putting band-aids on your swing.

Who has played TN National?

Is it really a top 10 course in Tennessee?
Played it several years ago right after it opened. It’s certainly a great track but IMO not worth the $100+ price tag considering all the other courses in the area. Maybe the butt kicking it delivered that day affects my personal thoughts. Long from the tips (7300+ yards).

Reactions: Y9 Vol
Played it several years ago right after it opened. It’s certainly a great track but IMO not worth the $100+ price tag considering all the other courses in the area. Maybe the butt kicking it delivered that day affects my personal thoughts. Long from the tips (7300+ yards).

Looking at a lot in the hood. I need to play the track first.

Aside from the above advice, you’re also probably jerking your spine up and down, depending on the importance of the shot. “I have to par this one” shots tend to make us do things we shouldn’t otherwise be doing, like jerking up or lunging down.

Keep that spine tight. Best thing I’ve ever heard was to pretend there’s a pole coming out of the ground at an angle, going directly through your butt and out of your head. All you can do is rotate on that pole, you can’t jerk up or down.

VN Store

Back