The Golf Thread

Man I seriously am fighting the left hooks these days. I keep a fairly neutral grip, I used to have a strong grip so I thought going more neutral would solve the problem, but it hasn’t.

I’m starting to think I’m gripping too hard maybe? I tend to keep a very firm grip.

Anyone else battle the hooks like this? How did you fix it?

Man I seriously am fighting the left hooks these days. I keep a fairly neutral grip, I used to have a strong grip so I thought going more neutral would solve the problem, but it hasn’t.

I’m starting to think I’m gripping too hard maybe? I tend to keep a very firm grip.

Anyone else battle the hooks like this? How did you fix it?
True, bending hooks or straight pulls? And what's your skill level? Are you a pretty solid player but get the occasional snafu?

True, bending hooks or straight pulls? And what's your skill level? Are you a pretty solid player but get the occasional snafu?

Low 90’s, high 80’s, somewhere in there.

It’s a straight pull, like “hard into the woods on a par 3” kind of pull.

Usually off pretty good contact too, like I’m flushing it, it’s just sailing hard left.

EDIT: You know, I’m gonna change my answer here. It actually does tend to start off fairly straight, but it doesn’t take long before it starts bending pretty hard. I usually think I pure’d it right off contact, but then it sails left.

Last edited:

Usually off pretty good contact too, like I’m flushing it, it’s just sailing hard left.
If you like your neutral grip, I would go back to it, just do a fundamental check. Getting the shaft all the way in the fingers or way back on the heel of the hand will give your hands too much influence.

If you were hooking I would think you were getting stuck in the downswing, but since you're pulling with solid contact I think you're probably getting one of your arms away from the body (chicken wing) somewhere in the swing. Hold a bath towel under both arms and get that feeling of staying connected. Chips then pitches then full swings. Let your arms and chest work together.

If you like your neutral grip, I would go back to it, just do a fundamental check. Getting the shaft all the way in the fingers or way back on the heel of the hand will give your hands too much influence.

If you were hooking I would think you were getting stuck in the downswing, but since you're pulling with solid contact I think you're probably getting one of your arms away from the body (chicken wing) somewhere in the swing. Hold a bath towel under both arms and get that feeling of staying connected. Chips then pitches then full swings. Let your arms and chest work together.

I edited the post, it really is more of a hook. I just feel like the face is always closed on impact. I don’t think I’ve ever really mastered the golf grip. I keep it back in the heel of my hands for sure, but when I try to move it up into my fingers more it feels like that face turns every which way on the downswing, like I have no control over it. I even moved to oversized grips to fix it.

I edited the post, it really is more of a hook. I just feel like the face is always closed on impact. I don’t think I’ve ever really mastered the golf grip. I keep it back in the heel of my hands for sure, but when I try to move it up into my fingers more it feels like that face turns every which way on the downswing, like I have no control over it. I even moved to oversized grips to fix it.
Yep, been there. I hope at some point you can get the “traditional” grip down pat, it will help you tremendously. To me the two biggest things are a) the club is sitting in your hand at an angle, so the fingers have to lay on the club at an angle. Hold the club upright with your left hand, lay your right hand on the side of the grip at the proper angle and roll your bottom three fingers down and around the club from pinkie to middle. Then roll your palm over the top and let your forefinger and thumb rest naturally. B) is don’t “short arm” your grip. Let those first three fingers wrap all the way around so that the nubs on your fingertips are actually locking the grip into place.
I know that’s stuff you can learn in a YouTube video, but I hope not helps anyway.

EDIT: You know, I’m gonna change my answer here. It actually does tend to start off fairly straight, but it doesn’t take long before it starts bending pretty hard. I usually think I pure’d it right off contact, but then it sails left.
Likely has zero to do with your grip. I'd bet it's the classic "over the top" issue which causes the pull. Probably either getting steep or rerouting the club at the top which makes the path go left. If you release the club, it becomes a smother hook. If you hang onto it and try to save it with your hands, it turns into the ole banana ball.

Likely has zero to do with your grip. I'd bet it's the classic "over the top" issue which causes the pull. Probably either getting steep or rerouting the club at the top which makes the path go left. If you release the club, it becomes a smother hook. If you hang onto it and try to save it with your hands, it turns into the ole banana ball.

Yep, been there. I hope at some point you can get the “traditional” grip down pat, it will help you tremendously. To me the two biggest things are a) the club is sitting in your hand at an angle, so the fingers have to lay on the club at an angle. Hold the club upright with your left hand, lay your right hand on the side of the grip at the proper angle and roll your bottom three fingers down and around the club from pinkie to middle. Then roll your palm over the top and let your forefinger and thumb rest naturally. B) is don’t “short arm” your grip. Let those first three fingers wrap all the way around so that the nubs on your fingertips are actually locking the grip into place.
I know that’s stuff you can learn in a YouTube video, but I hope not helps anyway.

I’m also duck hooking my woods and hybrids, like to the point where I leave them in the bag. Does that help identify the overall problem? Clearly there is something going on with the left.

I’m also duck hooking my woods and hybrids, like to the point where I leave them in the bag. Does that help identify the overall problem? Clearly there is something going on with the left.
Flatter face = even less margin for error

No way to know without seeing your swing, but sounds like a path problem if the ball is starting left.

Reactions: peaygolf
General rule of thumb............
* If the ball/divot starts at the target, you have closed club face
* If the ball/divot starts left and goes more left, your face is closed with an outside in swing path

Fix the path first! Martin Hall, who worked with me some when I was in Fla, is the easiest instructor I've come across.

Improve Your Golf Swing Path - Martin Hall

Tried to attach a bunch of pics but it was a mess. I wish you could post vids from your phone on here
Take a look at @peaygolf 's avatar. That's a perfect position. If your hands are to the right of where his are on the way down, you're about to be steep with the shaft and dump the clubhead over the top which makes you swing left.

Take a look at @peaygolf 's avatar. That's a perfect position. If your hands are to the right of where his are on the way down, you're about to be steep with the shaft and dump the clubhead over the top which makes you swing left.
Agreed.
I have a problem not turning enough. Then everything gets quick and left.

I purposely left Augusta off of my bucket list simply because I know that the chances of me playing it are slim to none, same with Merion. If there were ever 2 courses that I’d crawl a mile to play, but know it’s highly unlikely, it’s Augusta National and Merion. I only played Pebble because it was a surprise gift from an old flame (probably the best present I’ve received) I included Valhalla because I’ve wanted to play another course besides Kiawah that has held a Ryder Cup and it seems like the best option for me, plus I like the layout from what I’ve seen, everyone I know that’s played it enjoyed it thoroughly. I know a few guys that have played Cabot Cliffs and they all swear that it’s far and away the most beautiful golf course they’ve ever seen and they’ve played everywhere so I’ve got to get there, hopefully next summer.

I’ve never played The Honors Course (not exactly sure why, just haven’t made it a priority) too busy running around playing in the Carolinas, Florida and the desert I guess, but I will try to make it happen soon. I love desert golf and really enjoyed TPC Scottsdale, but honestly I enjoyed Troon North as much as TPC and thought it was at a minimum TPC’s equal. I have good friends in Tampa so Innisbrook is always a blast, but it’s eat my lunch twice, only other PGA tour stop course I scored as badly on was Forrest Oaks CC where they used to play the Greater Greensboro Open, that was the thickest, most penal rough I’ve ever played from.
Honors is extremely exclusive as you must be a guest of a member like Augusta and others

Honors is extremely exclusive as you must be a guest of a member like Augusta and others
I was fortunate to play in the 1990 State Am there. Beautiful course and great design. I’ve been back twice and want to go back!

Doubt seriously that I will ever tee it up there. Plenty of great public course options out there, more than I’ll ever get to play, but I’m gonna make the biggest dent in them that I can.

Doubt seriously that I will ever tee it up there. Plenty of great public course options out there, more than I’ll ever get to play, but I’m gonna make the biggest dent in them that I can.

Great public options in the Chattanooga/Cleveland area?? You are mistaken, unfortunately. That area has a miserable public golf scene, especially when compared to the Knoxville area.

Great public options in the Chattanooga/Cleveland area?? You are mistaken, unfortunately. That area has a miserable public golf scene, especially when compared to the Knoxville area.

Ha ! Not talking about Chattanooga in particular, talking nation and world wide. I’m actually rarely in or around the Chattanooga area.

Might be worth a trip to the Chattanooga area and playing Sweetens Cove and McLemore. I’ve only played Sweetens but had a friend play McLemore and was really impressed.

Sweetens is a good drive from Chatt, but I’ve always wanted to play it. Weird for a 9 hole course to be so prestigious. McLemore is private.

The best public course in Chatt is Bear Trace, and it’s just ok. Even at its best I wouldn’t say it’s any better than Centennial or Dead Horse in the Knoxville area. There is nothing within an hour of Chattanooga that is even in the same league as the Tellico courses just outside of knoxville.

Reactions: MadisonvilleVol
Might be worth a trip to the Chattanooga area and playing Sweetens Cove and McLemore. I’ve only played Sweetens but had a friend play McLemore and was really impressed.

My foursome has been eyeing that Friends Of McLemore deal for awhile, but we can’t get the date we wanted yet. We’re going to try and work it in either on the way down to or back from Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: MadisonvilleVol
Sweetens is a good drive from Chatt, but I’ve always wanted to play it. Weird for a 9 hole course to be so prestigious. McLemore is private.

The best public course in Chatt is Bear Trace, and it’s just ok. Even at its best I wouldn’t say it’s any better than Centennial or Dead Horse in the Knoxville area. There is nothing within an hour of Chattanooga that is even in the same league as the Tellico courses just outside of knoxville.
I’m sure you are familiar with it but a course I enjoy playing in that area (25-30 min away from Cleveland and Chat) is Nob North.

The perfect day is to go play Sewanee, have lunch and then go play Sweetens Cove. The best 2 nine hole course in the country (My opinion).

Sweetens Cove

Sewanee-Press-Downloads-Golf-Drone-5bc5fdaa535f0.jpg
Sewanee Golf Course

The University of the South course in Sewanee is only 9 holes but prestigious and difficult. Better course than Sweeton's cove. The Bear Trace at Harrison Bay is good course. Totally disagree with it being similar to the two Knoxville courses. Try Bear Trace at Tim's Ford.

VN Store

Back