The Golf Thread

Guess I'm the opposite of most because I hate Matsuyama winning. I don't dislike him but he's done nothing to help himself with the fans or sport writing his checks. By not learning basic English he does no interviews, no talk shows, nothing. Outside of Japan I don't see his win helping golf much and it was already popular in Japan. Matsuyama might be the coolest guy around but we'll never know. Hes a robot and here he is running out town less than 24 hours after his win.

The LPGA tour was about to bankrupt due to language. Sponsors threatened to abandon ship and they had to adopt a basic English policy as a tour requirement. I remember the uproar but almost none from the lady players because they knew where their bread was buttered.

I love the Masters partly because I've been fortunate enough to see 3 practice rounds and 2 championship rounds before. The place is unreal and TV doesn't do it justice. The first practice day pass we got was for a Wednesday and I was hooked. Unreal experience and I normally watch every bit of coverage I can get including the awesome masters app. On Sunday I went and cut the grass after Matsuyama hit the green on hole 7. I wouldn't have done that normally even with a big lead but the guy is uninspiring. I turned it back on when I finished and Xander hit his tee shot in the water. Turned it back off, deleted the app and never watched anything else about it. I bet sponsors were shooting themselves and ratings probably sucked too.

Hes a robot and here he is running out town less than 24 hours after his win.
Couldn’t believe that at first when I saw the airport pic, but with Covid restrictions, I guess it’s not as if he was going to fly around and do a bunch of talk shows.

Sports are at lows for viewership everywhere. Matsuyama didn’t move the needle up, but I don’t think he moved it down because he doesn’t speak English well.

How’d you feel about Patrick Reed winning? Here’s a guy actively undermining the sport and isn’t the most personable golfer out there but can speak English well.

Did DJ move the needle? Nope. Another dud personality. Actually 2020 was worse ratings than this year in spite of the misleading headline.

Golf ratings can be summed up mostly by no Tiger, lower ratings.

Sports are at lows for viewership everywhere. Matsuyama didn’t move the needle up, but I don’t think he moved it down because he doesn’t speak English well.

How’d you feel about Patrick Reed winning? Here’s a guy actively undermining the sport and isn’t the most personable golfer out there but can speak English well.

Did DJ move the needle? Nope. Another dud personality. Actually 2020 was worse ratings than this year in spite of the misleading headline.

Funny enough, when I did a quick search for ratings the Patrick Reed win popped up as one of the highest rated Masters ever. I was floored because he seems like such a jerk.

2020 was an anomaly. It was competing with the NFL and wasnt a good tournament to watch even though I watched it all. I'll never consider it a true masters under those fall conditions. It was target practice for these guys and DJ had the best aim that week. It was just a tournament conducted at ANGC.

Even without Tiger the masters usually gets decent ratings. No doubt he's a ratings monster but The Masters can hold its own. If Spieth or Zalaroris, who would have been a good story, or any number of others been at the top of the leaderboard I wouldn't have switched it off even with a big lead. I was just unmoved by Matsuyama and can't be the only one. I hope he misses the cut next year because by the time Thursday rolls around I'm sure we'll have heard stories ad nauseam about him, his win, etc etc.

Golf viewership needs to stay alive long enough for Charlie Woods to hit the scene, and they better hope he’s as thrilling as his dad.

Golf just needs a big personality to always be in the hunt. I actually thought Koepka would be that guy, his arrogance kind of makes him fun to watch. He’s fizzling out though. Rory has some star power but he needs to find his way back into victory lane too.

Let's have a little fun.......In no particular order

#1 Name the 3 bucket list courses you want to play before you die.
* St. Andrews
* Seminole
* Pine Valley

#2 Name the 5 best courses you've ever played....not necessarily the Highest Ranked, your opinion, not the Golf Digest raters
* Philadelphia Cricket Club
* Honors Course
* Spyglass Hill
* Shoal Creek
* The Ocean Course

First off, wow at the courses you guys have actually played. My funding doesnt allow for that, so kudos to you.

Bucket list:
TPC at Sawgrass
Pinehurst
Pebble

My best clubs played:
Ocean Course at Hammock
Sandestin Links
Falcons Fire
Celebration
Orange Park CC/Julington Creek. I've played others that are probably better than these, but I had a lot of fun playing these 2

First off, wow at the courses you guys have actually played. My funding doesnt allow for that, so kudos to you.
Full disclosure to dispell any myth that I'm loaded lol. . . St. Andrews and Carnoustie came on a trip a few years ago. Shoal Creek and TPC Sawgrass were 30 years ago when I was playing a ton of Junior golf tournaments. And I'm very fortunate to have a little bit of a hookup at Harbour Town.

I'll never forget 17 year old me stepping onto the 17th tee at TPC Sawgrass and being too dumb to be nervous about it. I was like "Wait a minute. You mean the green is THAT big and it's just a 9 iron?" Hit it about 20 feet, 2 putted and walked off thoroughly disappointed that the green wasn't the size of a pool table and there weren't snipers in the trees or something.

Bucket list ....

Royal Melbourne
Spyglass Hill
Valhalla
Cabot Cliffs

Played ...

Innisbrook Copperhead - (toughest course I’ve ever played)
Pebble - (absolutely beautiful and worth every penny)
TPC Scottsdale - (fun, fun fun)
Harbour Town - (not my greatest round)
Kiawah Island Ocean Course - (my very favorite, will play it again before I die)

Full disclosure to dispell any myth that I'm loaded lol. . . St. Andrews and Carnoustie came on a trip a few years ago. Shoal Creek and TPC Sawgrass were 30 years ago when I was playing a ton of Junior golf tournaments. And I'm very fortunate to have a little bit of a hookup at Harbour Town.

I'll never forget 17 year old me stepping onto the 17th tee at TPC Sawgrass and being too dumb to be nervous about it. I was like "Wait a minute. You mean the green is THAT big and it's just a 9 iron?" Hit it about 20 feet, 2 putted and walked off thoroughly disappointed that the green wasn't the size of a pool table and there weren't snipers in the trees or something.
Had the same feeling the 2 times I've played TPC Sawgrass

Bucket list ....

Royal Melbourne
Spyglass Hill
Valhalla
Cabot Cliffs

Played ...

Innisbrook Copperhead - (toughest course I’ve ever played)
Pebble - (absolutely beautiful and worth every penny)
TPC Scottsdale - (fun, fun fun)
Harbour Town - (not my greatest round)
Kiawah Island Ocean Course - (my very favorite, will play it again before I die)
Bucket list: Pine Valley and Augusta National. With all due respect, Vahalla isn't worthy of a bucket list. Ever played Honors?

Shot 69 at Copperhead

I purposely left Augusta off of my bucket list simply because I know that the chances of me playing it are slim to none, same with Merion. If there were ever 2 courses that I’d crawl a mile to play, but know it’s highly unlikely, it’s Augusta National and Merion. I only played Pebble because it was a surprise gift from an old flame (probably the best present I’ve received) I included Valhalla because I’ve wanted to play another course besides Kiawah that has held a Ryder Cup and it seems like the best option for me, plus I like the layout from what I’ve seen, everyone I know that’s played it enjoyed it thoroughly. I know a few guys that have played Cabot Cliffs and they all swear that it’s far and away the most beautiful golf course they’ve ever seen and they’ve played everywhere so I’ve got to get there, hopefully next summer.

I’ve never played The Honors Course (not exactly sure why, just haven’t made it a priority) too busy running around playing in the Carolinas, Florida and the desert I guess, but I will try to make it happen soon. I love desert golf and really enjoyed TPC Scottsdale, but honestly I enjoyed Troon North as much as TPC and thought it was at a minimum TPC’s equal. I have good friends in Tampa so Innisbrook is always a blast, but it’s eat my lunch twice, only other PGA tour stop course I scored as badly on was Forrest Oaks CC where they used to play the Greater Greensboro Open, that was the thickest, most penal rough I’ve ever played from.

VN Store

Back