The Golf Thread

Look at the tiny mound of sand that was behind his ball when he addresses it. Then the head of the club dips one, two, three, and then four times. After the fourth "dip", it's gone. Clearly visible. And interestingly enough, no more dips once the tiny mound was gone, but an almost immediate swing. Hmmm.

IMO, intentional. He knew that any sand between the club face and the ball would alter the trajectory of the ball, so it was a deliberate, but very smooth way to try and tamp down that sand. He just got caught, or if not intentional, just screwed up. Either way, two strokes.

One of the popular golf magazines has a regular feature titled "Undercover Pro". It's an honest, sometimes funny narrative of what goes on inside the Tour. My guess would be it's a middle-of-the-pack tour pro who has good talent with his golf game, and serious talent with his words.

Bottom line: PGA Tour players cheat. Some of them don't, but most of them do, and some of them are always looking for an edge. And there are some "serial cheaters" on the Tour. No names were given, but still....

This one got caught.
No, most don't cheat and certainly don't do it intentionally

What an uninformed post

Bottom line: PGA Tour players cheat. Some of them don't, but most of them do, and some of them are always looking for an edge..
That's ridiculous. There are some guys that take it too far, but for the most part, the guys on tour play it straight because A) That's just the way golf is played; B) There are way too many cameras and eyeballs out there for them to get away with very much.

Last edited:
I do think he did it on purpose. I don’t know why. But the “four dips”, to me, raises suspicion as to why he would immediately swing once that small clump of sand was out of the way.

In the end, it was a penalty. He took it like a man and moved on. Time for us to do the same here.
No way it was intentional. There's zero advantage to what he did from a greenside bunker.

That's ridiculous. There are some guys that take it too far, but for the most part, the guys on tour play it straight because A) That's just the way golf is played; B) There are way too many cameras and eyeballs out there for them to get away with very much.

I didn’t write the article; a PGA Tour Pro did.

Google it. Shouldn’t be all that hard to find.

I didn’t write the article; a PGA Tour Pro did.

Google it. Shouldn’t be all that hard to find.
I read that stuff too. Sure, they all go right up to the line and a few are loose with how they mark balls and pull Patrick Reed type crap, but it’s nearly impossible for it to be rampant.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
I disagree. But if not intentional, then incredibly careless.
Definitely careless. But if you understand the shot, it’s not even a question of gaining an advantage. The club isn’t going to ever impact the ball first on a greenside bunker shot. You can see that he’s got the blade wide open to create bounce and he’s going to splash the sand.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
But yeah... a really bad penalty to incur. It’s one thing to accidentally brush a high foot in the sand on the takeaway. It’s just dumb to touch sand at address. Everybody knows the rule.

It was definitely a choke. Dottie Pepper tried to sell it as a gust of wind, but he’s trying to land that one past pin high. He missed his distance by a solid 15 yards.
Not a “choke”.......sometimes great players hit bad shots...
Just unfortunate it was at that moment

It was definitely a choke. Dottie Pepper tried to sell it as a gust of wind, but he’s trying to land that one past pin high. He missed his distance by a solid 15 yards.
He probably hit it a little fat. Don't necessarily think it was a choke. He was 2 shots down

Not a “choke”.......sometimes great players hit bad shots...
Just unfortunate it was at that moment
Choke may be too strong, but that was a really bad miss at a a time when he had momentum. The water really shouldn't even be in play there with everybody aiming long right. I'll bet there weren't 5 balls in the water at 16 all day.

Reactions: peaygolf
Choke may be too strong, but that was a really bad miss at a a time when he had momentum. The water really shouldn't even be in play there with everybody aiming long right. I'll bet there weren't 5 balls in the water at 16 all day.
Reminded me of Corey Pavin in the ‘86 Masters. 1 or 2 back and hit a fat pull in the water on #16.......

VN Store

Back