The Golf Thread

Holy cow!? Justin Rose just played one of the best back 9s ever.
Yep, on some seriously tough greens.

I will give credit where due, but I hate it when the European golfers do well.

My prejudice results from Ryder Cup golf so I cant stand anyone from across the pond.

I'm halfway ok with Australian's, but I want someone from America winning.

I strongly dislike Sergio. It makes my day to watch him do poorly. Weirdly enough I'm bout ok with Rory for some reason.

Some actual red numbers already on the board this morning. Maybe they dialed it back a little for today.

Bad ruling in my opinion, I didn’t see anything conclusive to warrant the penalty.

Look at the tiny mound of sand that was behind his ball when he addresses it. Then the head of the club dips one, two, three, and then four times. After the fourth "dip", it's gone. Clearly visible. And interestingly enough, no more dips once the tiny mound was gone, but an almost immediate swing. Hmmm.

IMO, intentional. He knew that any sand between the club face and the ball would alter the trajectory of the ball, so it was a deliberate, but very smooth way to try and tamp down that sand. He just got caught, or if not intentional, just screwed up. Either way, two strokes.

One of the popular golf magazines has a regular feature titled "Undercover Pro". It's an honest, sometimes funny narrative of what goes on inside the Tour. My guess would be it's a middle-of-the-pack tour pro who has good talent with his golf game, and serious talent with his words.

Bottom line: PGA Tour players cheat. Some of them don't, but most of them do, and some of them are always looking for an edge. And there are some "serial cheaters" on the Tour. No names were given, but still....

This one got caught.

Look at the tiny mound of sand that was behind his ball when he addresses it. Then the head of the club dips one, two, three, and then four times. After the fourth "dip", it's gone. Clearly visible. And interestingly enough, no more dips once the tiny mound was gone, but an almost immediate swing. Hmmm.

IMO, intentional. He knew that any sand between the club face and the ball would alter the trajectory of the ball, so it was a deliberate, but very smooth way to try and tamp down that sand. He just got caught, or if not intentional, just screwed up. Either way, two strokes.

One of the popular golf magazines has a regular feature titled "Undercover Pro". It's an honest, sometimes funny narrative of what goes on inside the Tour. My guess would be it's a middle-of-the-pack tour pro who has good talent with his golf game, and serious talent with his words.

Bottom line: PGA Tour players cheat. Some of them don't, but most of them do, and some of them are always looking for an edge. And there are some "serial cheaters" on the Tour. No names were given, but still....

This one got caught.
There is always sand between the ball and the club face on a greenside bunker shot.

Reactions: C-south

This one got caught.

I’m gonna disagree. It looked liked there was a raised clump of sand and he slightly altered it just before initiating his backswing. He just got a little too close but it had no bearing on the the shot at all especially being a greenside bunker where he’s going to be hitting behind the ball anyway.

I’m gonna disagree. It looked liked there was a raised clump of sand and he slightly altered it just before initiating his backswing. He just got a little too close but it had no bearing on the the shot at all especially being a greenside bunker where he’s going to be hitting behind the ball anyway.

Bolded text = violation of the Rules = 2 stroke penalty. You cannot alter your lie in a bunker, or ground the club (touch the sand) prior to the swing.

Bolded text = violation of the Rules = 2 stroke penalty. You cannot alter your lie in a bunker, or ground the club (touch the sand) prior to the swing.

And? It’s not like he did it on purpose. He took the penalty and moved on. It was a small clump of sand that protruded upwards from the level of the sand in the bunker. Not that it matters but it was completely irrelevant to the shot and didn’t give him any advantage.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
I do think he did it on purpose. I don’t know why. But the “four dips”, to me, raises suspicion as to why he would immediately swing once that small clump of sand was out of the way.

In the end, it was a penalty. He took it like a man and moved on. Time for us to do the same here.

Reactions: peaygolf

VN Store

Back