The Golf Thread

In all seriousness, does that benefit tall or short golfers? Or was that the reason for the rule change, so it doesn't really benefit anyone?
No. Sounds like they did it to ensure the ball stays in the relief area. Which is very seldom an issue to begin with. In some rare occasions it makes sense but the net effect is definitely more beneficial to the player and less random - which I believe is the entire purpose of a drop

In all seriousness, does that benefit tall or short golfers? Or was that the reason for the rule change, so it doesn't really benefit anyone?
It may have been done to help improve the pace of play by players not having to drop as many times when a shoulder height drop might roll closer to the hole, or into a hazard, or out of a hazard, or onto a cart path, or onto the green, or out of bounds, etc. I don't make the rules, so can only guess.

It may have been done to help improve the pace of play by players not having to drop as many times when a shoulder height drop might roll closer to the hole, or into a hazard, or out of a hazard, or onto a cart path, or onto the green, or out of bounds, etc. I don't make the rules, so can only guess.
Ironic considering it was Bryson who we were talking about. The prior method of dropping wasn’t why his pace of play was such a problem and players hated playing with him. And it’s really not an issue in the scheme of things anyway. If they want to improve the pace of play, then it really boils down to actually enforcing it.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
This is great. It’s 80 year old Jack Nicklaus giving 85 year old Gary Player a lesson. Hilarious to see an 85 year old complain that his swing has gotten short.

Ok...people who bring this up seem to get backlash because he's really likable and has seen a lot of success at an early age, but when is it going to be kosher to ask what's wrong with Jordan Spieth? He still has not won on tour since the 2017 British Open.

This is great. It’s 80 year old Jack Nicklaus giving 85 year old Gary Player a lesson. Hilarious to see an 85 year old complain that his swing has gotten short.

Gary Player is a freak of nature. I really think he might live to be about 105 years old. He looks about 10 years younger than Nicklaus, but he's 5 years older.

Ok...people who bring this up seem to get backlash because he's really likable and has seen a lot of success at an early age, but when is it going to be kosher to ask what's wrong with Jordan Spieth? He still has not won on tour since the 2017 British Open.

Yips

no, he still putts well. He can't hit his driver. Maybe you meant driver yips? Ian Baker-Finch got them. Hell, he hit a ball out of bounds left of no. 1 on the Old Course at St. Andrews. If you've played there, you know it's damn near impossible to do
Holy crap?! I didn't realize that. That's got to be a 100 yard pull hook.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

Can't believe I've never seen that. That literally is the widest fairway I've ever seen in my life.

Here's a pic looking I took across the 18th green looking down the 1st and 18 the fairways. It's got to be a 200 yard wide swath of fairway.
524BD87E-1D3F-4775-A89A-05D199468FAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Y9 Vol
120735810_4694520667228286_8322216412471175976_o.jpg

VN Store

Back