The Golf Thread

It should have been called immediately, or before he teed off on #17. Two shots with 2 to play is much different than thinking he's 4 ahead. Might have changed the outcome.

Reactions: Vol423
It should have been called immediately, or before he teed off on #17. Two shots with 2 to play is much different than thinking he's 4 ahead. Might have changed the outcome.
Not popular to bring this up but.... How many times have you soled a club like that and NOT noticed that the ball moved? I have a hard time believing he didn’t see it. Now, I could buy that he maybe thought that it just wobbled and didn’t change position, but that was enough of a move that you could see it live.

Reactions: peaygolf
Not popular to bring this up but.... How many times have you soled a club like that and NOT noticed that the ball moved? I have a hard time believing he didn’t see it. Now, I could buy that he maybe thought that it just wobbled and didn’t change position, but that was enough of a move that you could see it live.
I'm not going to sole my club that close to the ball, and be looking at the hole. So, yea, I agree with you on that.

Reactions: Vol423
Looked to me that he could have been trying to depress the grass immediately behind the ball t achieve cleaner contact. I mean, he soled it three times directly behind the ball. Not a smart move.

Playing the Magnolia Grove RTJ courses in Mobile this weekend. Closest we could get to an RTJ course and a beach for the wives.

Anyone played them? The courses are “Crossings” and “Falls”
Havent played them though I lived on an RTJ course for a couple years.

Looked to me that he could have been trying to depress the grass immediately behind the ball t achieve cleaner contact. I mean, he soled it three times directly behind the ball. Not a smart move.

They do it all the time to improve the lie. Just act like you are undecided about the club and change clubs a few times till the grass is pushed down.

Reactions: Y9 Vol
It was a fun course. I think the best courses in the Knox area are probably better, but this one was good. Difficult for sure.

The greens were oddly slow, which was surprising

A lot of courses do not cut the greens very tight during the dog days so as not to lose them to the heat.

Little help here please guys.
Getting time to start retirement neighborhood visiting. I am looking at the SC Lowcountry area. Has anyone played either of the Colleton River Plantation courses? How about Berkely Hall courses?
Or, any other suggestions that are private and gated?
TIA

Getting time to start retirement neighborhood visiting. I am looking at the SC Lowcountry area. Has anyone played either of the Colleton River Plantation courses? How about Berkely Hall courses?
TIA

I just left from a trip in Calabash. We stayed at Brunswick Plantation and it was pretty nice. It’s gated and although we didn’t play the course(s) there they looked nice. We did mess around on the hole behind the condo one evening and it was in as good a shape as any of the other courses we played. The only course we played that was gated was Tide Water and it was also pretty nice with LOTS of homes and condos. I’ll be heading to Pawleys Island tomorrow and we’re staying at True Blue but it’s not gated.

I just left from a trip in Calabash. We stayed at Brunswick Plantation and it was pretty nice. It’s gated and although we didn’t play the course(s) there they looked nice. We did mess around on the hole behind the condo one evening and it was in as good a shape as any of the other courses we played. The only course we played that was gated was Tide Water and it was also pretty nice with LOTS of homes and condos. I’ll be heading to Pawleys Island tomorrow and we’re staying at True Blue but it’s not gated.

Thanks for the update. I have played all those courses up there. Tidewater being my favorite. We are looking to be on the south end of SC though. Out yatch is moored at Charleston City Marina and we want to be only a short drive to there.
Enjoy the vacation and Hit em straight!

Reactions: C-south
Thanks for the update. I have played all those courses up there. Tidewater being my favorite. We are looking to be on the south end of SC though. Out yatch is moored at Charleston City Marina and we want to be only a short drive to there.
Enjoy the vacation and Hit em straight!

Gotcha, I thought maybe you had a broader search area. Haven’t played in the Charleston area but I’m sure there’s plenty to choose from. I won’t be taking my clubs this trip although I know I’ll get the itch when I get there and know a couple of the nicer courses are right there. Playing 72 holes in 3 days in 90+ swamp ass heat I’m just a little burnt out at the moment.

TIA
The Bluffton area is a good place to be. Near the beach. Golf everywhere. Savannah around the corner. Great airport. I know a lot of people that live in HHI and a couple that live in Sun City in Bluffton.

The Bluffton area is a good place to be. Near the beach. Golf everywhere. Savannah around the corner. Great airport. I know a lot of people that live in HHI and a couple that live in Sun City in Bluffton.

Thanks GA,
We do not want to be on HH or Kiawah due to all the tourists. But love to be close by. Love the airport there!
Colleton was where they filmed Bagger Vance. Pete Dye says it is the best course he has EVER built. The other course as a Nicklaus.
Berkely Hall has two Fazio layouts.

Thanks GA,
We do not want to be on HH or Kiawah due to all the tourists. But love to be close by. Love the airport there!
Colleton was where they filmed Bagger Vance. Pete Dye says it is the best course he has EVER built. The other course as a Nicklaus.
Berkely Hall has two Fazio layouts.
Amazingly, I've never played either of them. But I've played just about everywhere else in the area. My parents got a place over on the island in Sea Pines about 15 years ago and I tend to show up there liberally lol.

Both those places are great locations. I don't know that there's anywhere between HHI and Buckwalter Pkwy on 278 where you can fully escape the tourists. Traffic always moves, but you just know that there will be times from June-mid August where you have to deal with it more.

I love the area. I have played every course on HH and Kiawah.
I know the traffic can be bad in the area and that just comes with moving there. (I can not be in the area and not go to the Salty Dog)
The other reason is that my son is Corporal and a range supervisor on Parris Island.

Maybe Edisto Island. My buddy has a condo there although I haven’t been....yet.
Some people love it. I've been there once a long time ago. Not a lot going on over there though. A very different experience from Bluffton/HHI area.

There’s plenty that push the limits and if there were high resolution cameras zooming in on every shot for the past 100 years there would be plenty more. From Gary Player to Greg Norman to Tiger himself. They all do that push down behind the ball in the rough and many times the ball cant even be seen.

So true. This level of intimate critique may require that the players not 'ground' their club at all. Like playing out of a sand trap.

Expect to see more of it. Free advertising for the ball manufacturer and, possibly, the club manufacturer.
I definitely understand why they do it, just think it’s unfair and creates controversy.

I was watching the British Masters this morning and they show a still shot close up of the ball/lie that I assume they take prior to the player arriving to hit the shot. Thought it was an interesting alternative.

Yeah. I saw it live.

VN Store

Back