The Golf Thread

Definitely does here in southwest VA in the mountains
The mountain golf I generally play is in GA where the highest I'll ever be is probably 1,500-2,000 feet. There might be a slight effect, but nothing all that noticeable until you start getting to 3-4k.

The mountain golf I generally play is in GA where the highest I'll ever be is probably 1,500-2,000 feet. There might be a slight effect, but nothing all that noticeable until you start getting to 3-4k.
Near Radford VA, and into southern WVA it makes a difference. And some very beautiful golf here.

My duty stations have all been near the coast. I think we had the discussion in here years back, but I notice the distance in play compared to back home in northeast Tennessee.

Played up there a couple of years ago. Absolutely gorgeous, and it's up high enough that the ball flies a little. You don't really think about altitude having an impact on the east coast.

It is absolutely gorgeous here no doubt. Eight of us lifelong friends come over and tee it up a few times a year, been an annual thing for about a dozen years now. We trade teams and riding partners all 3 days, losing foursome each day buys the beer and steaks and does the grilling. I'm such a short knocker now that the altitude doesn't help me that much here, probably just a club difference most of the way around.

Pretty place. I’ve never been but a guy I use to work with went there a good bit. My buddies and I have our MB trip set for next month.

Pretty place. I’ve never been but a guy I use to work with went there a good bit. My buddies and I have our MB trip set for next month.

Play Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase of The Big Cats up in Ocean Isle if you get the chance. You will not be disappointed ! Two of my very favorites and they do it right !

Play Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase of The Big Cats up in Ocean Isle if you get the chance. You will not be disappointed ! Two of my very favorites and they do it right !

Right now we’re doing Thistle, Farmstead, and Tidewater with one round we’ll wing in the afternoon one day. Last years we did MBN Kings N, Thistle, Caledonia, and TPC.

Right now we’re doing Thistle, Farmstead, and Tidewater with one round we’ll wing in the afternoon one day. Last years we did MBN Kings N, Thistle, Caledonia, and TPC.

All good tracks right there. Love Tidewater and Thistle, Farmstead is good too, but long for me. They still have that par 6 about a mile long ?

Reactions: feathersax
All good tracks right there. Love Tidewater and Thistle, Farmstead is good too, but long for me. They still have that par 6 about a mile long ?

Be my first time doing Tidewater and Farmstead. I looked up the card and the par 6 is like 760 from the tips and about 670 from from the whites where I’m sure we’ll be playing from.

Be my first time doing Tidewater and Farmstead. I looked up the card and the par 6 is like 760 from the tips and about 670 from from the whites where I’m sure we’ll be playing from.

We played from the blues and teed off in SC and putted out in NC. True story, it's open but a long way to the 19th hole !

We played from the blues and teed off in SC and putted out in NC. True story, it's open but a long way to the 19th hole !

There’s 8 of us going but only 3 of us could do the tips or the next set up. We just do the shortest men’s tees (not seniors) just to keep things moving along.

Used to live in Myrtle, went to Golf Academy there and loved all those courses mentioned, Oyster Bay and the Legends courses also were fantastic

Used to live in Myrtle, went to Golf Academy there and loved all those courses mentioned, Oyster Bay and the Legends courses also were fantastic

We’ve stayed at Barefoot the past 3 years (only played there once) but I think we’re staying at Brunswick this year. TPC wasn’t in very good shape last year when we played so it was kind of a bummer there. We like Arrowhead too and I personally like Wild Wing but I think I may be the only one. Never did Oyster Bay or any legends courses but my group use to do legends a lot before I started going with them. I’ll be going back a couple weeks after our golf trip to Pawleys Island with the family and may sneak in a round at True Blue or Caledonia.

We’ve stayed at Barefoot the past 3 years (only played there once) but I think we’re staying at Brunswick this year. TPC wasn’t in very good shape last year when we played so it was kind of a bummer there. We like Arrowhead too and I personally like Wild Wing but I think I may be the only one. Never did Oyster Bay or any legends courses but my group use to do legends a lot before I started going with them. I’ll be going back a couple weeks after our golf trip to Pawleys Island with the family and may sneak in a round at True Blue or Caledonia.
Arrowhead is short but well maintained and fun. True Blue and Caledonia are top notch

Y[all are getting me anxious about returning to Myrtle Beach golf! Wife & I first honeymooned there in 1975 & we now go every year. Farmstead? Yes, that 760-yard 18th is quite a trek. This is a shot from outside the clubhouse.

Attachments

• Farmstead golf 2017.JPG
    Farmstead golf 2017.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: JOEY'S ALL VOL !!!
Y[all are getting me anxious about returning to Myrtle Beach golf! Wife & I first honeymooned there in 1975 & we now go every year. Farmstead? Yes, that 760-yard 18th is quite a trek. This is a shot from outside the clubhouse.
Last time I was at Myrtle I tried to play there. Rained on me so I couldn't play. Haven't been back since

Last edited:
I've found beaches I've enjoyed more. Though I'm sure one day I'll return
It

It ain't Siesta Key on the gulf, but for golf you can't beat it. At least 60 courses here I could play all day. Iove the gulf for beachin and an occasional round, but for just golf ... it's damn hard to beat.

VN Store

Back