The Golf Thread

Ahh ... the blues are right above. Pic was taken from the cart as we started down the hill from the tee boxes. Was trying to catch the 9 deer running across the fairway just a few seconds earlier, but I wasn't fast enough.

images

May 7, 2011.....my favorite died of brain cancer. RIP Seve!

images

May 7, 2011.....my favorite died of brain cancer. RIP Seve!
RIP Seve. My favorite when I was growing up was Tony Lema. I followed him for all 90 holes (1st round washed out) at the 1965 Carling World Open in Sutton, Mass. when Lema won. I also followed him at the 1966 PGA at Firestone in Akron, Ohio, but not every hole. However, I did see him play a couple of holes on the Sunday final round. When, I woke up the next morning, I found out that he died in a plane crash , shortly after leaving that tournament. I liked his style.

I became friends with Bruce Lietzke in the 1980's, and sold him a 1968 426 Hemi Roadrunner, and even played golf with him. Brain cancer took him, too.

Alright some of you golf experts, help a brother out.

Should a driver swing be different that an iron swing? Obviously it is with ball placement since you’re swinging up towards the ball with a driver and down towards a ball with irons, but what about form? I’m working on keeping my swing with irons more inside and keeping that right arm tucked, should I be doing the same with a driver?

Should a driver swing be different that an iron swing? Obviously it is with ball placement since you’re swinging up towards the ball with a driver and down towards a ball with irons, but what about form? I’m working on keeping my swing with irons more inside and keeping that right arm tucked, should I be doing the same with a driver?

I'm no professional so I'm no expert, but the one thing I've learned about the golf swing in all my years of teeing it up is that there is a multitude of swings and no one swing is best for all. My advice is to either hit the range and hit ball after after ball after ball until you find your happy place in your driver swing, a swing you can repeat, or you can hit up your local pro and have him analyze your swing and give you advice or some lessons.

Personally, my driver swing is much more shallow than my iron swing as I am trying to sweep the ball much more than an iron. The angle on my iron swing is much steeper, but that's just me. At the end of the day it's really just whatever works for you, whatever you are comfortable with and helps you get the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes is the ticket. Hit the range and swing til you find it. Just my 2 cents ...

Based on the difference of lie angle and length of the club, yes, there is a difference.
But, the basic principle of the swing is the same.

It’s the same swing. The length of the club and ball position will naturally shallow out the swing.

I’ve always thought the whole “hit up on a Driver” thing was dangerous advice for most people. I get trying to maximize the angle of attack, but Joe Blow swinging 92 mph just isn’t going to see a lot of difference between a -2* and a +1*.

Of course... I probably think that way because no matter how many swings I take on a trackman, I can’t create a positive angle to save my life lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
I'm no professional so I'm no expert, but the one thing I've learned about the golf swing in all my years of teeing it up is that there is a multitude of swings and no one swing is best for all. My advice is to either hit the range and hit ball after after ball after ball until you find your happy place in your driver swing, a swing you can repeat, or you can hit up your local pro and have him analyze your swing and give you advice or some lessons.

Personally, my driver swing is much more shallow than my iron swing as I am trying to sweep the ball much more than an iron. The angle on my iron swing is much steeper, but that's just me. At the end of the day it's really just whatever works for you, whatever you are comfortable with and helps you get the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes is the ticket. Hit the range and swing til you find it. Just my 2 cents ...

I have a very steep “choppy” swing, and that’s the problem with the range, I can go out and band-aid it and make little tweaks to a point where I am comfortable, but it never lasts long. There is always some new poor habit that develops as a result.

Mt Mitchell NC. Love playing here, try to make it over here at 3 or 4 times a year.
Played up there a couple of years ago. Absolutely gorgeous, and it's up high enough that the ball flies a little. You don't really think about altitude having an impact on the east coast.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back