The Golf Thread

Just swing everything like a smooth 7 iron and you'll be shocked. The biggest problem most people have is overswinging the long clubs. Nobody believes it but you can use the same amount of energy and the extra length of the shaft and lower loft will generate the extra power for you.
That’s my biggest problem. I tell myself to not try and kill the ball with my driver. As soon as I’m starting coming out of my backswing, my baseball instinct kicks in and I try and kill the ball.

Just swing everything like a smooth 7 iron and you'll be shocked. The biggest problem most people have is overswinging the long clubs. Nobody believes it but you can use the same amount of energy and the extra length of the shaft and lower loft will generate the extra power for you.
I struggle with swinging with the same smoothness with the longer clubs, too.

It starts down the middle like I just hit a bomber. About halfway through the flight path, it takes a hard right, like hard enough that even if I’m aiming left it will still be out of bounds right.

I tried closing up the club face and started hooking short and left really bad. It’s just a mess of a club for me. I hadn’t considered getting fitted for a better driver though, maybe that could help. It’s just hard to justify spending $500 on one club when that’s what I pay for a set of irons.

Your issues sound a lot like mine. I'm left handed and my natural swing is a fade.

I started trying to play golf in high school but my main sport was baseball. It amazed me how I could put a strong athletic swing on the ball and it start out straight and start curving so bad.

I had a major breakthrough when I started thinking about it from a baseball pitcher's perspective. My curve always broke tighter and quicker the more spin I could put on the ball. So, it made sense to me that the ball couldnt start out straight and then curve badly unless I somehow put that spin on the ball with the club face.

I also didnt have the same issue with my irons, but I notice that I didnt try to hit my irons as hard because I had to try and focus more on proper contact. I also believe the ball being on the ground eats up some of the side ways spin. The driver is hitting a ball that sits up on a tee without any interference and I tried to kill the ball.

Your issues sound a lot like mine. I'm left handed and my natural swing is a fade.

I started trying to play golf in high school but my main sport was baseball. It amazed me how I could put a strong athletic swing on the ball and it start out straight and start curving so bad.

I had a major breakthrough when I started thinking about it from a baseball pitcher's perspective. My curve always broke tighter and quicker the more spin I could put on the ball. So, it made sense to me that the ball couldnt start out straight and then curve badly unless I somehow put that spin on the ball with the club face.

I also didnt have the same issue with my irons, but I notice that I didnt try to hit my irons as hard because I had to try and focus more on proper contact. I also believe the ball being on the ground eats up some of the side ways spin. The driver is hitting a ball that sits up on a tee without any interference and I tried to kill the ball.
The ball on the ground shouldn't affect it, since you have to hit the ball first. The issue is the amount of loft. More loft, more backspin, less side spin.

The ball on the ground shouldn't affect it, since you have to hit the ball first. The issue is the amount of loft. More loft, more backspin, less side spin.
Your statement makes sense, but if I thin a ball with my irons I can slice it more than when I catch it clean for some reason. Maybe it's because hitting it thin takes away the loft.

Your statement makes sense, but if I thin a ball with my irons I can slice it more than when I catch it clean for some reason. Maybe it's because hitting it thin takes away the loft.
It could be that the thinned shot is caused by a reverse weight shift, making it hard to hit the ball cleanly, and causing an open club face..

That's because a thin shot has less backspin. That's why it's harder to curve a wedge than a 5 iron.

It could be that the thinned shot is caused by a reverse weight shift, making it hard to hit the ball cleanly, and causing an open club face..

yes..........but most "thin" shots are caused by spine change (raising posture).....and leads to open face

That’s my biggest problem. I tell myself to not try and kill the ball with my driver. As soon as I’m starting coming out of my backswing, my baseball instinct kicks in and I try and kill the ball.
The same guy who taught me only gave me one bit of advice. "You can't muscle a golf ball".

The shot. I can practice it all I want but last second (mid swing) I decided it's the wrong shot then it turns into the wrong shot
Trusting your swing, even if its wrong, is better than being uncommitted. That's a promise.
Focus on maintaining your spine angle from address to impact,. You will hit it more solid.

Reactions: Rishvol
Trusting your swing, even if its wrong, is better than being uncommitted. That's a promise.
Focus on maintaining your spine angle from address to impact,. You will hit it more solid.
It's mostly short game. I'm getting better at it but it's still a 1-3 times a round thing

VN Store

Back