The Golf Thread

When I used to play a lot, I was somewhere in the 70's, 95% of the time. One day I started with a bogey on the 1st hole, and made a 10 on the 2nd hole ( I had trouble with carrying a lake with my 2nd shot), which is a par 4. So, now I'm 7 over after 2 holes. When I was younger, I would have turned that into an 85 or worse. I didn't get mad, and wound up with a 78 for the day. That was one of most satisfying days on the golf course. I kept my emotions under control, and took it one shot at a time.
I meant to add to this that I have never, ever putted well (except maybe when I was 14 and just starting), and I know that I'm not getting shots back. Once I make bogey, I'm generally going to be over par. I have had many rounds where I hit 13 or 14 greens and not make a birdie. I have had rounds where I missed a half dozen putts from 3 to 6 feet, and shoot 73. If you are someone who can make birdies, you can somewhat make up for a 10. If you putt like I do, it's really frustrating and hard to make up shots. Nowadays, I just practice. I played 9 holes last year, and 9 the year before. I probably haven't played 100 holes total in the last 8 years or so.

I am a very average chipper and a poor putter. I generally have a couple or three 3 putts every time out. One time, many years ago, I played on really fast greens at The Ridges (now Black Thorn) in Jonesboro, hit 13 greens and 3 putted 9 times on the way to an 84. I picked the wrong club and hit over 3 greens, or would have hit 16 in reg. No matter how much I practice putting it makes no difference. I get better at full shots, chipping and pitching when I practice.

Reactions: peaygolf
Now that's impressive.

I've had kick in eagles, but never really thought any of the approaches were going in the hole. I can think of about 7 or 8 hole outs for 2 on a Par 4.
Yeah I've had a bunch of 2s. Still want that 1! Even shot a 29 on par 35. But seems like on par 3s i don't get all that close anymore.

Yeah I've had a bunch of 2s. Still want that 1! Even shot a 29 on par 35. But seems like on par 3s i don't get all that close anymore.
My game is so bad now that I'm just happy when I hit it in the middle of the clubface. Shot 82 yesterday the goofiest possible way... 46/36?! +13 on the first 11 holes without even making a Par; then -1 for the last 7. How does that even happen?

I HATE watching Bay Hill.........Doubled #18 to miss out qualifying for the 1995 US Open at Shinnecock .
Par gets me in!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1972 Grad
I HATE watching Bay Hill.........Doubled #18 to miss out qualifying for the 1995 US Open at Shinnecock .
Par gets me in!!!!!
So, you made it through local and did sectional at Bay Hill? Don't you play 36 in one day for sectional? Great playing if you made it that far.

So, you made it through local and did sectional at Bay Hill? Don't you play 36 in one day for sectional? Great playing if you made it that far.
Yep......so actually doubled #36 to miss. Probably would have shot 102-105......but it would have been fun....

Yes......I also was a Cleveland Staff member like him and played the same VAS irons that everyone laughed at.......
I remember them well. The old vibration absorption system ,if memory serves. I guess they would be a little harder to shank maybe, but that would only be real low in the heel. It's hard to believe that has been 25 years.

I remember them well. The old vibration absorption system ,if memory serves. I guess they would be a little harder to shank maybe. It's hard to believe that has been 25 years.
No kidding.....seems like yesterday.
BTW.......I tested every iron out there back in 94. The rep with Cleveland said to try them. I laughed and whatever........the single most solid iron I’ve ever hit. Easy as all get out. Hit them higher, but could still keep them down in the wind. Only knock was feel. But if they go exactly where you aim it.....I don’t care about “feel”52F3F721-90DC-4576-8ADD-CB806EBFB70A.png

No kidding.....seems like yesterday.
BTW.......I tested every iron out there back in 94. The rep with Cleveland said to try them. I laughed and whatever........the single most solid iron I’ve ever hit. Easy as all get out. Hit them higher, but could still keep them down in the wind. Only knock was feel. But if they go exactly where you aim it.....I don’t care about “feel”
I have hit them , probably 15 years ago. If I'm making a good pass at it, I can hit anything. If not, I can hit nothing. They seemed fine to me. I honestly feel like I would shoot the same score, no matter what clubs or balls. I seem to adapt fairly well.

I went out to the golf course driving range both Sat. and Sun. It was so windy that I hit 4 iron Sat. and 8 iron Sun. to the same flag on the range. Wind blowing hard right to left, against Sat. and with Sun. Pretty strong breeze. It's normally a 6 iron for me.

VN Store

Back