The Golf Thread

What are everybody's thoughts on "nice guy" Matt Kuchar paying a poor Mexican caddie only $3,000 after winning $1.296 million in a tournament in Mexico. The guy substituted for Kuchar's regular caddie, and instead of the customary 10% ($129,600), Kuchar gave him 3 grand. Kuchar had the chance to change the man's life, and chose to pocket the money. Like he needs it with over $45 million in career earnings, plus endorsements.

I think Kuchar said he didn’t pay him $3k but didn’t pay him 10% either. From things I’ve heard the guy does really well as a caddie in Mexico. Another rumor is that maybe he didn’t disclose the actual amount due to the fact the guy could be a target for criminals.

I think Kuchar said he didn’t pay him $3k but didn’t pay him 10% either. From things I’ve heard the guy does really well as a caddie in Mexico. Another rumor is that maybe he didn’t disclose the actual amount due to the fact the guy could be a target for criminals.
If I had to guess, he paid the guy's expenses and cash on the side. But it doesn't really make sense that the arrangement would leak.

(Rumor)
Heard he was maybe an illegal.......:(

So what golf balls does everyone play? ( I'm partial to Nike MOJO or Titleist NXT Tour S)

Sometimes I feel like I can tell the difference between them, and then other times I feel like it doesn't really matter.

Taylormade TP5X
I played Srixon balls for years and this ball is so much better than any I’ve ever played.

So what golf balls does everyone play? ( I'm partial to Nike MOJO or Titleist NXT Tour S)

Sometimes I feel like I can tell the difference between them, and then other times I feel like it doesn't really matter.

I play a couple mid range urethane balls, Chrome Soft and Project (a). Mostly Chrome Soft. The ProV1s and TP5s spin more than I like anyway.

I lose way too many golf balls to be spending that much on them lol
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the best ball on the market is the Srixion Q Star or Srixion Soft Feel. Try them and you won't be disappointed.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the best ball on the market is the Srixion Q Star or Srixion Soft Feel. Try them and you won't be disappointed.
I don't mind spending it as long as it's worth it lol.

I have some Q Stars actually (2 or 3 dozen). I have and like the NXT Tour S (which the don't make anymore).

Reactions: peaygolf
MG Tour C4. Bought a dozen last year just to try and they lived up to the their claims. I get as much distance and spin as the big brand balls I use. For 19.99 can’t beat it.

As long as it's white, has dimples, and isn't hard as a rock, I'm good. I hit the ones with the stripes painted on them better, but it may be because I'm hitting them on the range.

Reactions: Plecoptera
As long as it's white, has dimples, and isn't hard as a rock, I'm good. I hit the ones with the stripes painted on them better, but it may be because I'm hitting them on the range.
The average player should probably be playing a lower compression ball anyway rather than a premium ball. Other than feel, I'm not sure it even matters much to a guy swinging it 85-90 mph and hitting it off center.

Last time I was on a monitor, I was about 106-108 and there are times when I question what the ball is really doing for me.

Last edited:
The average player should probably be playing a lower compression ball anyway rather than a premium ball. Other than feel, I'm not sure it even matters much to a guy swinging it 85-90 mph and hitting it off center.

Last time I was on a monitor, I was about 108, 109 and there are times when I question what the ball is really doing for me.
I was still at 107-109 when I was 50. Not even in that ballpark now at 69. I think one can get used to the feel and spin of whichever ball around the greens. I don't think it makes much difference to the average player.

Last time I was on a monitor, I was about 106-108 and there are times when I question what the ball is really doing for me.

Be careful not to go too low. Some of the marshmallow balls will fly forever with the short clubs if you hit them on the button. That’s assuming you have any kind of swing speed. If I played firm greens I’d probably go with a ProV1 or TP5 but most times they spin too much for me. The Chrome Soft has been a great ball for me with good feel and perfect amount of spin. The Project (a) is good too but spins a little more than the CS.

VN Store

Back