The Golf Thread

Would be more fun:

DlUvie5U8AEBqF9.jpg

Shot an 81 today at meadowview in Kingsport. Still can't put worth crap though
Pretty decent score with bad putting. If it's any consolation, I have never putted well since I was about 20, and that was 48 years ago. I have been on a bad putting streak for that long.

Pretty decent score with bad putting. If it's any consolation, I have never putted well since I was about 20, and that was 48 years ago. I have been on a bad putting streak for that long.
Got on GIR a lot but would 2 or 3 putt. Every 1 putt I had was for par. Won't complain about getting a 1 putt for anything though.

When I used to play a lot back in my 30's through 50's, I would hit 12-14 greens in reg from the back tees, and often wouldn't break 75. If a pro hits 12-14, he breaks par.
My problems all started when I tried to putt conventionally. As a Junior and into college, I putted with an open stance and pushed the ball at the hole. I was never great, but I was adequate. Then I squared up and tried putting with my eyes over the ball, and I've been screwed up for 20 years.

It's maddening how often I completely miss my intended line. It's like my eyes and my stroke can't match up.

My problems all started when I tried to putt conventionally. As a Junior and into college, I putted with an open stance and pushed the ball at the hole. I was never great, but I was adequate. Then I squared up and tried putting with my eyes over the ball, and I've been screwed up for 20 years.

It's maddening how often I completely miss my intended line. It's like my eyes and my stroke can't match up.
That is funny you mentioned that because that is exactly how I putted when I was young. That is how Nicklaus putted too, line up open and shove it with my right hand. I went astray when I started trying to make a conventional stroke. I grew up putting on slow greens with a lot of wrist hinge, then read I wasn't supposed to do that. Now, I hit a lot of putts that have nothing to do with the hole, not even close.

That is funny you mentioned that because that is exactly how I putted when I was young. That is how Nicklaus putted too, line up open and shove it with my right hand. I went astray when I started trying to make a conventional stroke. I grew up putting on slow greens with a lot of wrist hinge, then read I wasn't supposed to do that. Now, I hit a lot of putts that have nothing to do with the hole, not even close.
That's exactly who I got that stroke from. I've tried to go back to it, but never found it. I don't even care if I make a putt. I just want to roll it in the general direction that I think I'm aimed at.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
That's exactly who I got that stroke from. I've tried to go back to it, but never found it. I don't even care if I make a putt. I just want to roll it in the general direction that I think I'm aimed at.
I think that when I set up like that in the past , my head was behind the ball, and I saw the line better. Now, I don't really know where I'm aiming.

I think that when I set up like that in the past , my head was behind the ball, and I saw the line better. Now, I don't really know where I'm aiming.
You may be onto something there. I feel like 90% of my problem is I don't know what I'm looking at. It's like I read it from behind the ball then when I get over it, I'm never sure where I'm aligned.

If I'm opened up and shoving it at the hole, it doesn't really matter where I'm aligned. It's all my hands pushing it where I'm looking.

You may be onto something there. I feel like 90% of my problem is I don't know what I'm looking at. It's like I read it from behind the ball then when I get over it, I'm never sure where I'm aligned.

If I'm opened up and shoving it at the hole, it doesn't really matter where I'm aligned. It's all my hands pushing it where I'm looking.
Have you ever tried looking at the hole, instead of the ball? I have had some success on the putting green doing that, but never stick with it. I first tried that maybe 25 years ago. When I do that, I just shove my hand toward the cup, like I'm pitching pennies. Almost an underhand stroke.

Sometimes I'll pick an intermediate point (smudge, grass blade, sand, etc) just a few inches in front of the ball to roll over. Will feel wrong and hard to trust the spot when your eyes have been tricking you.

I look for a spot midway through the putt, or where i expect the break to start. Putting and chipping are usually my strong point. It's getting to the green that causes calamity. Although I'm hitting the best irons of my life at the moment.

And since I mentioned it, I'll shank all of them this weekend.

Ok......Question.
Going to So. Calif. in December. Playing Torrey Pines one day and one day in LA.

1 round in LA....where do you play?
Riveria, LACC, Bel-Aire, Trump National, ect........Advice if anyone has played out there.

Thanks

Ok......Question.
Going to So. Calif. in December. Playing Torrey Pines one day and one day in LA.

1 round in LA....where do you play?
Riveria, LACC, Bel-Aire, Trump National, ect........Advice if anyone has played out there.

Thanks
I have never played any of them, but I would choose Riviera based on history.

Reactions: peaygolf
I have never played any of them, but I would choose Riviera based on history.
I'm kinda leaning Bel-Aire based on some guys that have played all of them. But it's a hard choice. Maybe I can talk the wife into 2 rds in LA.o_O

Shut out on the Augusta National Women’s Amatuer lottery.

Since it was a short window and maybe wasn’t as well known or publicized as The Masters, I thought I really had a chance for these.

Nope.

Shut out on the Augusta National Women’s Amatuer lottery.

Since it was a short window and maybe wasn’t as well known or publicized as The Masters, I thought I really had a chance for these.

Nope.
I'm 0 for the past 10 years or however long they've been distributing tickets this way. It's incredible.

I'm 0 for the past 10 years or however long they've been distributing tickets this way. It's incredible.

Never been selected either and I’ve put in every year. Even had friends out it with the agreement we’d take each other.

Big ole nope there as well.

VN Store

Back