The Golf thread II

1972 Grad

I stop at 10 (not that I get there often but every once in awhile)
When I used to play a lot, I was somewhere in the 70's, 95% of the time. One day I started with a bogey on the 1st hole, and made a 10 on the 2nd hole ( I had trouble with carrying a lake with my 2nd shot), which is a par 4. So, now I'm 7 over after 2 holes. When I was younger, I would have turned that into an 85 or worse. I didn't get mad, and wound up with a 78 for the day. That was one of most satisfying days on the golf course. I kept my emotions under control, and took it one shot at a time.

YankeeVol

Raise Hell Eat Cornbread
When I used to play a lot, I was somewhere in the 70's, 95% of the time. One day I started with a bogey on the 1st hole, and made a 10 on the 2nd hole ( I had trouble with carrying a lake with my 2nd shot), which is a par 4. So, now I'm 7 over after 2 holes. When I was younger, I would have turned that into an 85 or worse. I didn't get mad, and wound up with a 78 for the day. That was one of most satisfying days on the golf course. I kept my emotions under control, and took it one shot at a time.
I usually have about 1 implosion per 9 holes.

1972 Grad

I meant to add to this that I have never, ever putted well (except maybe when I was 14 and just starting), and I know that I'm not getting shots back. Once I make bogey, I'm generally going to be over par. I have had many rounds where I hit 13 or 14 greens and not make a birdie. I have had rounds where I missed a half dozen putts from 3 to 6 feet, and shoot 73. If you are someone who can make birdies, you can somewhat make up for a 10. If you putt like I do, it's really frustrating and hard to make up shots. Nowadays, I just practice. I played 9 holes last year, and 9 the year before. I probably haven't played 100 holes total in the last 8 years or so.

I am a very average chipper and a poor putter. I generally have a couple or three 3 putts every time out. One time, many years ago, I played on really fast greens at The Ridges (now Black Thorn) in Jonesboro, hit 13 greens and 3 putted 9 times on the way to an 84. I picked the wrong club and hit over 3 greens, or would have hit 16 in reg. No matter how much I practice putting it makes no difference. I get better at full shots, chipping and pitching when I practice.

OrngeJuiceJones

Now that's impressive.

I've had kick in eagles, but never really thought any of the approaches were going in the hole. I can think of about 7 or 8 hole outs for 2 on a Par 4.
Yeah I've had a bunch of 2s. Still want that 1! Even shot a 29 on par 35. But seems like on par 3s i don't get all that close anymore.

GAVol

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I've had a bunch of 2s. Still want that 1! Even shot a 29 on par 35. But seems like on par 3s i don't get all that close anymore.
My game is so bad now that I'm just happy when I hit it in the middle of the clubface. Shot 82 yesterday the goofiest possible way... 46/36?! +13 on the first 11 holes without even making a Par; then -1 for the last 7. How does that even happen?

1972 Grad

Yes......I also was a Cleveland Staff member like him and played the same VAS irons that everyone laughed at.......
I remember them well. The old vibration absorption system ,if memory serves. I guess they would be a little harder to shank maybe, but that would only be real low in the heel. It's hard to believe that has been 25 years.

VN Store

Sponsors