The Golf thread II

GAVol

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw that. The new drop is stupid, the flagstick in looks stupid.........
I don't know why they don't just eliminate the drop and allow the ball to be placed.

And the flag thing is just goofy. I get eliminating the penalty. I don't get leaving the stick in from 10 feet.

peaygolf

Let's Go Peay
I saw that. The new drop is stupid, the flagstick in looks stupid.........
I don't know why they don't just eliminate the drop and allow the ball to be placed.

And the flag thing is just goofy. I get eliminating the penalty. I don't get leaving the stick in from 10 feet.
It is hard to get used to, but keeping the stick in does help (allowed until the 50’s) The drop from the knees is just stupid. They were going to allow you to drop from just inches originally.

Thank goodness the OB rule isn’t used on tour. They should ban the “greens books” as well.

GAVol

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is hard to get used to, but keeping the stick in does help (allowed until the 50’s) The drop from the knees is just stupid. They were going to allow you to drop from just inches originally.

Thank goodness the OB rule isn’t used on tour. They should ban the “greens books” as well.
I get using the stick from 20 feet, but there's no way I'm doing it inside that.

Rishvol

There's enough flex in the stick to take away a lot of momentum. Greatly reduces the ball bouncing out on the hole on a put that was perfectly aligned but hit too hard

1972 Grad

Honest.......once you get used to it, you’ll never go back. There are some really good studies about it. Pelz did one 30 odd yrs ago.
I don't see how it could hurt you, but it looks dumb for pros to leave it in. I have been leaving it in if I'm playing by myself for a few years now, since I have gotten older. It saves walking up to the hole to take it out if I'm very far away. I'm talking about maybe 25 feet or further out. I'm not holing that anyway.

C-south

The drop should be anywhere from shoulder height to to the knees if nothing else to keep someone from getting a penalty for something stupid which is why I thought they made some of the changes they did to begin with. Like GA said placing the ball would be fine too.

1972 Grad

The drop should be anywhere from shoulder height to to the knees if nothing else to keep someone from getting a penalty for something stupid which is why I thought they made some of the changes they did to begin with. Like GA said placing the ball would be fine too.
Sometimes, a drop from too low, like the knee, will make a ball go to the bottom in deep rough, where it might bounce up a little from shoulder height, and give a better lie.

GAVol

Super Moderator
Staff member
It must have been traveling at a pretty good clip to bounce off.
Lol... Sounds like the crap I was getting from my playing partners. It was a straight 6 footer. There wasn't much speed to worry about. The pace was fine and it was just barely left of center. It would've gone in 10/10 times without the flag. Nobody could believe it didn't go in.

The worst part was the fact that before the putt, I literally said "OK... I'm going to try the leave the flag in BS."

peaygolf

Let's Go Peay
Sad day for Golf............Great writer!

RIP Dan Jenkins

The legendary golf writer has passed away at 89.

The tributes are, as expected, pouring in. Here’s a bit from Tom Callahan’s remembrance for Golf Digest.
  • “Dan always rooted for the best stories, which usually meant the best players (the real reason he loved Hogan might have been that Ben once saved him from having to write about Masters runner-up Skee Riegel), though some of golf’s journeymen, the ones with wit and perspicacity, like Ed Sneed, became trusted sources. Dave Marr, a PGA champion but not an all-time great, was Dan’s No. 1 draft choice for dinner.”
  • “…Tiger Woods didn’t want to know Jenkins. “We have nothing to gain,” agent Mark Steinberg said, the dumbest thing any agent ever said. During the 2006 Open Championship at Hoylake, Woods’ second-most-amazing tour de force, coach Hank Haney was staying at the Golf Digest house. Every night, after hitting balls post-round, Tiger dropped Haney off and never came in. Perhaps just that squandered opportunity of a beer with Jenkins, or at least the astonishing cluelessness it represented, was the real first cough by Ali MacGraw in “Love Story” (as it preceded Tiger’s come-from-ahead loss to Y.E. Yang in the 2009 PGA). At Woods’ peak, Jenkins wrote, “Only two things can stop him: injury or a bad marriage.” Birdie, and birdie.”
Smart assesment of Tiger!

1972 Grad

Sad day for Golf............Great writer!

RIP Dan Jenkins

The legendary golf writer has passed away at 89.

The tributes are, as expected, pouring in. Here’s a bit from Tom Callahan’s remembrance for Golf Digest.
  • “Dan always rooted for the best stories, which usually meant the best players (the real reason he loved Hogan might have been that Ben once saved him from having to write about Masters runner-up Skee Riegel), though some of golf’s journeymen, the ones with wit and perspicacity, like Ed Sneed, became trusted sources. Dave Marr, a PGA champion but not an all-time great, was Dan’s No. 1 draft choice for dinner.”
  • “…Tiger Woods didn’t want to know Jenkins. “We have nothing to gain,” agent Mark Steinberg said, the dumbest thing any agent ever said. During the 2006 Open Championship at Hoylake, Woods’ second-most-amazing tour de force, coach Hank Haney was staying at the Golf Digest house. Every night, after hitting balls post-round, Tiger dropped Haney off and never came in. Perhaps just that squandered opportunity of a beer with Jenkins, or at least the astonishing cluelessness it represented, was the real first cough by Ali MacGraw in “Love Story” (as it preceded Tiger’s come-from-ahead loss to Y.E. Yang in the 2009 PGA). At Woods’ peak, Jenkins wrote, “Only two things can stop him: injury or a bad marriage.” Birdie, and birdie.”
Smart assesment of Tiger!
RIP. He was a good one.

1972 Grad

I'm 48. Played since i was 7. I HAVE ZERO.....

Witnessed 25
I have played for 55 years, and never had one either, and have only witnessed one. I told the story before that I made one on a provisional, but found my original ball, so it was completely wasted. I made a bogey on the hole when I finally found my ball.

peaygolf

Let's Go Peay
I have played for 55 years, and never had one either, and have only witnessed one. I told the story before that I made one on a provisional, but found my original ball, so it was completely wasted. I made a bogey on the hole when I finally found my ball.
I "liked" your post, only because there isn't an "I sorry" button to click.:(

VN Store

Sponsors