The "Gobble, Gobble" Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. 18 seconds left. Three point game. And we get a 25 foot heave from Kevin Punter with 10 seconds left. That can't happen.

2. Ray Kasongo should be the starting center for this team. End of discussion. He's raw, but he made a big difference tonight.

3. Even though he was 6-16, I love how aggressive Hubbs was and want him to keep that going. I like the post ups, but I want him driving to the basket more. He can do it.

4. I'm not sure what the defensive perimeter scheme is and neither do the players. They are confused when they should switch, what to do on pick and rolls, how far to play off shooters. I don't know what's going, but the coaching staff has to fix it. There are too many breakdowns on the perimeter.

5. Shembari Phillips has talent. I like him. But he doesn't know what to do right now. He needs to play to give Punter breaks, but I'm not sure giving him anything more than 6-8 minutes is a good idea.

6. I think one adjustment that Barnes could also make is playing Moore at the 3. With Kasango emerging and the lack of depth at guard, I would like to see something like Punter/Baulkman/Moore/Reese/Kasongo. That also puts a good defender on the wing to help your perimeter defense. You can move Punter off ball as a shooter with Moore's penetrating ability and Reese can play some stretch 4. Just something I would try.

7. The Dale Ellis Player of the Game: Kevin Punter. Just a really solid performance by him. Not much else to say but he's incredibly improved.

8. It's the right strategy by Barnes, so I'm not criticizing. But when you live by the three, you also die by the three. 7-24 tonight from deep. It was the difference in the game.

9. The refeeres sucked but with such drastic rule changes, you will have nights like this. Overall, I like where college basketball is heading. You just have to suck it up on a night like tonight.

10. Definitely not an easy game tomorrow. Tim Miles is a good basketball coach and will have his team ready to play. One win was the goal for this tournament and that can still be achieved. George Washington is no joke. They beat a top ten Virginia team this year. It wouldn't surprise me if GW is a tournament team. Tennessee could really use a victory over a Power Five school.

Reactions: 1 person
GW should be a tourney team. I think it would be a slight surprise if they don't end up being one.

The rule change where the coach can't call a timeout during a live ball is garbage. It needs to change.

Love the honest from Barnes on Phillips...

"We asked Shembari to drive it too, but when he goes 1-for-8 and Armani only has six shots, it’s a problem. He drove it but he just threw up some shots he can’t throw up. We went through a stretch there with him where we just didn’t know what he was doing. You look at it and he (Phillips) played 19 minutes and was 1-for-8. Armani, our second leading scorer, played 35 minutes and only got six shots.

"Shembari did some good things but again, he can’t have more shot attempts than Armani. He just can’t."

Reactions: 2 people
I don't

Coach the young ones in private. I don't have a problem with saying negative things about the older guys but the young ones need confidence.

Jmo

So you preferred those,"Gotta make shots. mumble,mumble mumble" momments?

Reactions: 2 people
This team is too limited to not take advantage of FT's. I said it earlier this season. With their game being predicated to a degree on attacking the rim, we simply have to take advantage at the charity stripe. We also have to do a better job boxing out and defensively as you pointed out. Wonder how much of the issues is not knowing what to do vs fatigue to a degree? Getting a break on Turner would be huge for this team. Don't expect it, but it certainly would put a totally different spin on this years squad. I also think RK needs a lot more PT. All in all, we can't get too down or upset about this squad. It is what it is. Too many holes to cover consistently and good teams are going to expose and exploit. Gonna be a roller coaster ride of a season.

I don't

Coach the young ones in private. I don't have a problem with saying negative things about the older guys but the young ones need confidence.

Jmo

I'll defer to the guy who has been doing it 30 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I don't

Jmo

This isnt middle school or high school. This is the big time. If they cant take criticism they probably shouldn't be here.

Reactions: 1 person
One thing this team needs most is for the ncaa to pull its collective head out of its collective ass and free Lamonte Turner.

VN Store

Back