The Gardening Thread

Ya'll gonna make me have to post pics of my starter pots now.

Noticed yesterday my youkon golds are putting green tops above soil. Won't be long for second layer of soil.

No. Better Boys are a determinate hybrid.

Reactions: GVF and VolNExile
Better boys are indeterminate
Yeah, I missed that cause they're hybrids. Mine never grew like that. They pretty well capped out, but the yield and flavor was always depndable. Haven't grown them in several years cause I got into the heirloom thing , but I have plans to go back to atleast one per year.

Does anyone in here grow Rutgers? That was always my dads favorite, but I never tried growing.

Reactions: Swiftybaby
My peppers are past needing to go in ground. Wind has been too much to set them out to harden off. I did move them to the dining room south window supplemented with a grow light.
I’m most likely waiting at least until the beginning of May to put my peppers in the grow bags. Should be past the cold spells by then.

Yeah, I missed that cause they're hybrids. Mine never grew like that. They pretty well capped out, but the yield and flavor was always depndable. Haven't grown them in several years cause I got into the heirloom thing , but I have plans to go back to atleast one per year.

Does anyone in here grow Rutgers? That was always my dads favorite, but I never tried growing.
I only know this because that’s all my grandfather ever grew. Staunch advocate for better boys

I only know this because that’s all my grandfather ever grew. Staunch advocate for better boys
My gramps as well. Along with big boys. Grew them in mushroom soil delivered from the plant down the road. I loved his tomatoes. I just always assumed because they were hybrids they'd be determinate and mie never really got over 5 footish.

Reactions: Swiftybaby

I think some "favorites" are what we grew up eating or have eaten for years. Haven't grown Rutgers in several years because we no longer can food. Rutgers are determinate and most come in about the same time so no need to grow several plants unless you can them.
These days it's Cherokee Purple and Brandywine (pink and red varieties) and a cherry tomato for us..
Also A Betty Boy for when the others slow down production.

Reactions: VolNExile
I think some "favorites" are what we grew up eating or have eaten for years. Haven't grown Rutgers in several years because we no longer can food. Rutgers are determinate and most come in about the same time so no need to grow several plants unless you can them.
These days it's Cherokee Purple and Brandywine (pink and red varieties) and a cherry tomato for us..
Also A Betty Boy for when the others slow down production.
I might just go pick me up a better boy just to have as a fill in if my other two reds don't man up. One is a Santiago, so it should roll along fine in the heat. The other red is a Brandywine OTV, which is the only true Brandywine for southern climate and heat. Most are clightly cooler climate Brandywines. And likely the best flavored Brandywine...according to hte captions. It's the only BW I've grown so I got no comparison.

Exie...bout time for you to start showing off you backyard pics, eh?
Just brought the babies up from the basement grow tent for their first outdoor experience and for head counts!

First pic: the 1020’s on the left and right are for the plant sale. The center one is what I’m keeping.

Second pic: I pulled out a Jimmy Nardello (Italian sweet pepper), a BrandyFred Dwarf, and a Purple Reign for a closeup.

I need to pot on the tomatoes pretty soon, but I have to get some homework out of the way first.

1713550366624.jpeg
1713550427136.jpeg

I might just go pick me up a better boy just to have as a fill in if my other two reds don't man up. One is a Santiago, so it should roll along fine in the heat. The other red is a Brandywine OTV, which is the only true Brandywine for southern climate and heat. Most are clightly cooler climate Brandywines. And likely the best flavored Brandywine...according to hte captions. It's the only BW I've grown so I got no comparison.
I need to go back to the tomato store ant look for BW OTV. We usually get burnt out on tomatoes after a few weeks though. Then when they are gone we wish we had more.

I need to go back to the tomato store ant look for BW OTV. We usually get burnt out on tomatoes after a few weeks though. Then when they are gone we wish we had more.
The OTV is hard to find. I've ordered the plant or the seeds the years I have grown it.

OK, even the Crepe Myrtles are leafed out. I’ve got to get busy preparing the garden bed, even if my seedlings aren’t quite ready to go in yet.

Getting mine tilled this evening. Peppers, Romanesco, Broccoli, Brussels going in first. Have to check okra and eggplant. THey may not be big enough. I think I pretty much got all my herbs in, but I forgot to get some chives. Rest of mine other than tomatoes will be direct sow. No need to start corn, beans, squashes, cukes, melons etc. THey come up pretty quick on direct sowing.

Gonna try a honey bush butternut this year. Smaller, sweeter, and only about 3-4 foot vines. Last time i did butternut, they ran half the length of the garden. Got a new variety yellow squash this year from Burpee. Vertical grower.

Disappointed in trying to start Brocolli Rabe. Seeded it twice, It just stays leggy. But I had some regular garden center brocolli as a back up.

Filled up my other set of grow bag with compost yesterday. Will be spreading carrots and golden beats in that. Tater bags coming along. Not quite ready for next layer of soil though.

VN Store

Back