The gap between UT and Bama.....

Tennessee almost pulled it off in 2009, but before the game no one thought they had a shot in that one either. It would be like what South Carolina did last Saturday

The only games where people thought they had a punchers chance during this time period was 2015 and 2016.

The streak started with an Alabama upset in 2007 as well. Or, at least I assume Tennessee was favored
The "Old Alabama" could lose any game in theory. When your whole plan revolves around winning games 14-0, 21-7, etc... You are always a couple wild crazy plays from losing.

Now... I just don't see it. The offense is too good to even keep the game close in the 4th quarter. For us anyway.

You have to beat teams like that in a shootout. Only team I can see doing that is LSU. Or you just show them something on defense they can't figure out like Clemson was able to do.

Per ESPN FPI, we have a 2.6% chance of winning. That's roughly one in forty. Insignicant? Yes, but it's about like hitting a one-outer on the river in Texas Hold Em, which does happen. ;)
GAST probably had same or lesser chance of beating Tennessee (despite the points spread). If they can pull it off, we can too. Unlikely : Yes but crazier things have happened. If few breaks our way & few bad plays from them also if Brain Maurer finds Johnny Manziel somewhere inside him ..who knows ..
These probability figures are closer to starting lines than actual math probability calculation, as the number of events on every play, every down, substitutions, etc. make it suspect. 2.6% chance of winning, can also be stated as 97.4% chance of not winning. Lines used for betting, are just that, and they change as more money goes to one side of the line than the other, they are NOT calculations down to the 1/10 of 1%, but hey, it's fun to read the predictions, this why the Horoscope is still popular....

Yes the talent gap is large but all it takes is the right gameplan and fearless coach. Hugh Freeze beat Saban in back to back and he did it with similar talent to what we have.
Lol. We have nowhere near “similar talent” as to what OleMiss had when they beat Alabama in back to back years. Not even close.

These probability figures are closer to starting lines than actual math probability calculation, as the number of events on every play, every down, substitutions, etc. make it suspect. 2.6% chance of winning, can also be stated as 97.4% chance of not winning. Lines used for betting, are just that, and they change as more money goes to one side of the line than the other, they are NOT calculations down to the 1/10 of 1%, but hey, it's fun to read the predictions, this why the Horoscope is still popular....

Yes, I am aware of all that. Normally when I quote the FPI I qualify it by saying "it's about as limited any simulation, but seems to be one of the best". And yes, I am very aware that 2.6 + 97.4 = 100, lol.

GAST probably had same or lesser chance of beating Tennessee (despite the points spread). If they can pull it off, we can too. Unlikely : Yes but crazier things have happened. If few breaks our way & few bad plays from them also if Brain Maurer finds Johnny Manziel somewhere inside him ..who knows ..

The ESPN FPI gave Ga State less than a 1% chance of beating us. Same site says Tennessee has a 2.6% chance. FWIW!

Its been since 2015 that Tennessee had a legit shot at beating Bama. Before that you have to go back to Kiffin and the Mount Cody game. And while it's been well over a decade since we last beat them, the gulf between the two teams in terms of talent and potential has widened to the biggest I think I have ever seen it. When Tennessee has a statistically insignificant chance of winning the matchup, you wonder why even risk your starters getting hurt?

That's not the question I wanted to ask though. I became a Vols fan when I moved to Tennessee in 1990. To the older Vols fans, was there ever a time prior to this current post-Fulmer stretch where it was completely hopeless and futile to consider Tennessee winning against Bama?

Saw one of my fellow Vols fans comment on the 1970's, yes, we lost 11 in a row, but we were not entirely non competitive. I'm 52 and been a fan since I was 5, 1972... We should have won the 72 game, had the lead until the last 2 to 3 minutes, and I remember Condredge Holloway throwing a pick 6, and we maybe gave up another easy TD and lost. In the middle of the Bill Battle era, Bama was beating us handily, but from 1976 - 1979 , the average scores of those games were, 25 -14. I remember the 1979 game down in Birmingham, I was 12 years old, and we were up 17-0, and then they rolled us in the second half, and won 27-17. Unfortunately, this last decade has been the most non competitive stretch with Bama that I can remember, but I don't like losing to them or anyone else, whether it's by 1 point or 100 points...

The gap is 10 yards at a time.
Keep doing what we’re doing
Play our game
Play D like we did Saturday
Take the points whenever we get a chance
Punch them in the mouth
Make them cover sideline to sideline
Let Maurer sling that Shat all over the yard

Tennessee wins in a burner 9-6!

We will not be competitive with Bama until we start signing massive amounts of elite OL & DL prospects. I know that is easier said than done but we need to start winning more recruiting battles for the elite big uglies in order to compete with them. Clemson has been the only program the past few years who has been able to match Bama talent wise while everyone else is playing catch up.

The "Old Alabama" could lose any game in theory. When your whole plan revolves around winning games 14-0, 21-7, etc... You are always a couple wild crazy plays from losing.

Now... I just don't see it. The offense is too good to even keep the game close in the 4th quarter. For us anyway.

You have to beat teams like that in a shootout. Only team I can see doing that is LSU. Or you just show them something on defense they can't figure out like Clemson was able to do.

I don’t think Clemson confused them.

They just literally threw an NFL defensive line out there at them

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I still don't know why we don't just forfeit the damn game and admit we're a bunch of crybabies afraid to play the game.

Eggsactly right. We play Bama, lose a starting qb to injury, lose 3-4 others to injury and there goes our season. Injuries will cause us to lose to SC, MZ, and maybe Ky. No hope of bowl then.

Can we buy em off the schedule?

Its been since 2015 that Tennessee had a legit shot at beating Bama. Before that you have to go back to Kiffin and the Mount Cody game. And while it's been well over a decade since we last beat them, the gulf between the two teams in terms of talent and potential has widened to the biggest I think I have ever seen it. When Tennessee has a statistically insignificant chance of winning the matchup, you wonder why even risk your starters getting hurt?

That's not the question I wanted to ask though. I became a Vols fan when I moved to Tennessee in 1990. To the older Vols fans, was there ever a time prior to this current post-Fulmer stretch where it was completely hopeless and futile to consider Tennessee winning against Bama?
If I remember correctly the all-time series between Tennessee and Alabama was dead even after the 1970 game won by Tennessee 24-0. Bear Bryant was coach of Alabama. Alabama won 11 in a row after this.

09 was Saban’s 3rd year. He was just getting started and we were only two years removed from an SEC CG appearance. We were dogs but not 30pt dogs. Bama has built a machine since then. While we have spiraled around the drain.

I think 2015 surprised Bama. 2016 we were given a chance by the media but Butch punted that game.

I was 13 and remember it well. My dad's friends brought a big section of the goalposts back from Pulaski and had them cut up and put on plaques. Johnnie Jones became one of my favorite players that day. I also got to see my favorite team The Steelers play in a World's Fair preseason game that same year.
I was at that game as well. Stanley Morgan played for NE. Bradshaw didn't play a snap which was extremely dissapointing to a huge steeler fan. I believe Cliff Stoudt played most of the game.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Tua would have to throw 4 pick sixes with UT not turning it over once for it to be a chance for an upset.

We had butch jones and winning teams. He had a bad year like Phil and many of majors teams. Yet we fired him. But that 15 team should have been in the sec championship. One of many complaints about butch was those close games. And he had bad offensive play calls. But he had some talent. Oh well. To late to cry. Go Pruitt and go vols. I hope dearly we can turn this thing around.

I was at that game as well. Stanley Morgan played for NE. Bradshaw didn't play a snap which was extremely dissapointing to a huge steeler fan. I believe Cliff Stoudt played most of the game.
Most all of the stars were gone or didn't play. Abercrombie played RB and Louis Lipps played WR. Stoudt and Malone played QB I thing. I was disappointed that neither Bradshaw or Stallworth played as well.

VN Store

Back