The Final Fantasy Thread

Just now getting around to FF7 INTERmission. Am I the only one that didn't realize Yuffie's name is pronounced like "Yoofie"? I had no idea.

I decided to replay all of the FF7 remake again while I was at it. It really is a solid game, but it's really going to heavily depend on what they do from here. I'm going to be pretty bummed if we don't get some kind of free-traversal world map like in the classics.

Only playing the demo and without playing the full game, would be shocked if this doesnt end up GoTY

Only playing the demo and without playing the full game, would be shocked if this doesnt end up GoTY
It'll definitely get nominated I think. The slate for 2024 so far is looking a bit light in terms of potential GOTY candidates.

Last edited:
Firing up the Rebirth Demo. One thing that immediately jumps out is that I love the addition of some more "parkour" free roaming abilities. Nice touch.

The review embargo has lifted for FF7 Rebirth. Currently a 94 with 63 reviews. The demo was TITS, man! I cannot wait to play this!

Anyone fire up the newest demo? Just released tonight.

Can't decide if I want to play it, or just wait it out for the full picture.

Anyone fire up the newest demo? Just released tonight.

Can't decide if I want to play it, or just wait it out for the full picture.
FWIW, it’s not much more as far as scene in the updated one. Still really good and more opportunity to use the new mechanics .

First 5 min of rebirth and I'm already so confused.

I assume I am watching two different timelines when associating this and the ending of Remake?

I understand Zack survived the "encounter" in this new story, but now him surviving that happened at the same time as the events of remake?

I'm lost.

I'm enjoying it, but I think they missed the mark on a few things. They went all in on this "synergy" battle system, and I just don't think it's as intriguing as they hoped. You have to grind though so many upgrades and variations of them just to advance your skill tree, and in about 90% of fights I never even think to use them.

They're cool I guess, but I'm just not going to base my battle plan around them.

I'm enjoying it, but I think they missed the mark on a few things. They went all in on this "synergy" battle system, and I just don't think it's as intriguing as they hoped. You have to grind though so many upgrades and variations of them just to advance your skill tree, and in about 90% of fights I never even think to use them.

They're cool I guess, but I'm just not going to base my battle plan around them.
...but you're enjoying it! LOL!

Man this mini game, Queens Blood.

Addictive, but easily the most annoying mini-game in the whole FF series. It probably needs to be refined a good bit.

I bought it but I'm waiting on the performance patch from S/E. It's supposed to improve visuals in performance mode.
If they're having this much trouble with the PS5, I can't imagine how horrid the Steam port is gonna be. I might wanna wait a few months to a year after it comes out on Steam to play it.

I'm a few hours in. It's been enjoyable but it doesn't FEEL like a Final Fantasy game to me, at least not yet.

They could have really done the original game justice with a giant traversable "mini-world-map" with slightly toned down graphics like the original.

I really hoped they would find some way to do that.

If they're having this much trouble with the PS5, I can't imagine how horrid the Steam port is gonna be. I might wanna wait a few months to a year after it comes out on Steam to play it.
FF7:Rebirth's performance mode isnt horrible. The image is just a bit soft, there's some "shimmer" in places and the textures aren't as sharp as they are in Fidelity mode. I could easily play it now and it'd be fine but, with the knowledge that a patch is coming, why not wait and get the better experience? I'm in no rush. I'll just continue to work on my backlog in the meantime.

It's not uncommon for devs to take a little longer to get performance mode optimized. Horizon Forbidden West's performance mode was poorly optimized at launch but Guerilla Games got it sorted out in fairly short order and now it looks fantastic. Damn near indistinguishable from fidelity mode even! Some games like Redfall and A Plague Tell: Requiem didn't even have performance modes at launch but were eventually patched in.

I dont think It's the hardware that's the problem. It's the amount of time devs have to get it optimized before having to meet their deadlines. In some cases, its a sacrifice devs just have to make because they're under pressure from their publishers to get games out on time, so they choose to optimize performance post launch.

Last edited:
I played through Final Fantasy II on the SNES (really Final Fantasy IV), and I really enjoyed it. It required lots of grinding, and learning which items/clothing/spells/attacks were optimal took a very long time. I guess that’s expected on an early RPG, but the story was great fun. I laughed like crazy at the “You spoony bard!” line. Loved it.

Well I finished Rebirth. I don't really know what to make of all this, other than the fact that I'm not a huge fan of this direction.

This was a fun game in itself I suppose. I also took my sweet time and put over 120 hours into it, so it was definitely worth the price tag. But I was really hoping all of this would feel like I was experiencing FF7 again, and it just doesn't have that feel. In my opinion, they did a poor job of capturing the magic of the original.

And this multi-verse timeline route they've gone with the story just isn't doing it for me at all. I really just wanted to experience the brilliance of the original story again. I don't think anyone was asking for this "variation" they came up with.

VN Store

Back