The ESPN hype machine is on full blast - New years 6 Bowls

I don't like all of these expectations. I've said it since the end of last year. I'm happy with and expect 8-4. However, looking at the schedule recently that may go up to 9-3 by the season arrives

Has the vols in the sugar bowl

Chris Low @ClowESPN
Colleague Brad Edwards with some interesting 2015 picks: Auburn (not Bama) in playoff and Tennessee in Sugar Bowl. Early 2015 New Year's Six predictions - ESPN …

This is setting the table for the negavols to tee off on CBJ ADHart and the assistant coaches. They know the ODDs are about 100 to 1 that this will happen. If we lose two games this year, look out for the flack. If we had more than one QB who has played in the SEC or if we had experienced depth on the OL, we might be in position to win 10 games. A more reasonable prediction is 8 wins. Hang on guys, 2015 will be interesting and create a lot of debates. If it happens, CJones will have 10 #1 ranked recruiting classes in a row.

The Oklahoma game is huge. It either sky rockets these expectations or puts them to rest very quickly.

Not really. We have a legitimate shot at winning the East and going to the SEC game. Sure, it'd be nice to stomp OU here in Knoxville, but all I really care about is winning the division/conference.

Not really. We have a legitimate shot at winning the East and going to the SEC game. Sure, it'd be nice to stomp OU here in Knoxville, but all I really care about is winning the division/conference.

In regards to momentum and preseason expectations, yes, it's huge. For the SEC race no. But I wasn't talking about the SEC. I was talking preseason hype. That is when it will be determined if the hype is real or not

Reactions: 1 person

But I agree about winning the east. It would be better obviously

Well...well....well.

I guess Vol Nation isn't the only place full of negavols with unrealistic expectations.

Does no one at ESPN understand the process?

The Oklahoma game is big for this program. It's still a marquis name and would be a great win for UT to continue its upward trend.

I'll never forget driving home after watching the NC game and wondering if I would ever get to experience that again as a Vol fan. Wondering if I would never be satisfied with anything less than the NC again. The last 10 years or so have been very humbling for a die hard fan. I'm ready to see our Vols in the conversation again. I just hope this isn't one year too soon.

I'll never forget driving home after watching the NC game and wondering if I would ever get to experience that again as a Vol fan. Wondering if I would never be satisfied with anything less than the NC again. The last 10 years or so have been very humbling for a die hard fan. I'm ready to see our Vols in the conversation again. I just hope this isn't one year too soon.

It is man. Put your seatbelt back on. We'll get there in one piece.

Maybe at some point volnation will actually understand that espn is comprised of reporters who state their opinions. Espn never hates us or loves us. They love money. That's it.

This season hangs in the balance of how well our O-Line plays. We have home run threats at every offensive skill position. The defense will be even better, hinging on the play at MLB...but I see whoever takes over there will love running sideline to sideline with the DT's taking up blocks. This is gonna be a fun ride. Oh yeah...I feel it.

Maybe at some point volnation will actually understand that espn is comprised of reporters who state their opinions. Espn never hates us or loves us. They love money. That's it.

All true. And yet ... ESPN is a building, with people in it, and other people who connect to it more or less frequently for conference calls and video teleconferences and so on. And when you have people together like that, a culture develops ... a common view, a degree of groupthink ... like iron shavings aligning themselves when a magnet passes over. It's a fact of group psychology.

And there are plenty of people here who believe that the (B10 leaning) groupthink of ESPN in the 90s was pushing for a Michigan Heisman over a Tennessee one.

Was that true? Dunno. But plenty of people here believe it was. Either way, ESPN does have a group culture, and so it certainly can love, hate, and promote one perspective or another. It does it all the time, whether we're talking about concussions or playoffs or anything else. All the ESPN reporters won't agree, of course not, they never do, but there will be a degree of groupthink going on. Always is.

This is setting the table for the negavols to tee off on CBJ ADHart and the assistant coaches. They know the ODDs are about 100 to 1 that this will happen. If we lose two games this year, look out for the flack. If we had more than one QB who has played in the SEC or if we had experienced depth on the OL, we might be in position to win 10 games. A more reasonable prediction is 8 wins. Hang on guys, 2015 will be interesting and create a lot of debates. If it happens, CJones will have 10 #1 ranked recruiting classes in a row.

Disagree with the first part of your post. Anyone taking those predictions seriously at this point has got issues. In a year from now, if anyone points to this article as ammo to use against Butch, they should be immediately slapped.

They are pretty much like Volnation posters who get paid.

They're just setting us up for failure. We need to remember that this schedule is still very difficult and this team is still young. there's some experience, but youth is youth. 8-4 is what I'll be happy with.

VN Store

Back